Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Good news for the sandbar - May 19th cleanup?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 13, 07 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

Anything we can't move, we can mark with a buoy.

excellent point sir forrest!!!
we should plan on bringing empty cat litter or rinsed out detergent bottles (or other bright large floaty plastic non-bio-degradable things that we can tie on to the logs. they won't always be on top of the water.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 13, 07 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

Wylie,

There are some big logs, I don't know that we're going to be able to do anything about logs that are submersed, just seems a little dangerous and we'll have to evaluate those on a case by case bases. Anything we can't move, we can mark with a buoy.

We will need chains, ropes, straps, whatever. I figure some of the logs we can tie a big rope to and get 20 or so guys to pull it.

OK, I'll bring it all. And plenty of work gloves.
~Kip

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Apr 13, 07 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

Fun with logs - think we might stack a few logs to redirect some of the flow across the sandbar to create a nice pond in the middle - walked across from E to W last night - the beach is suprising clutter free in the middle and it is huge

bar pano copy.jpg 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1806 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 13, 07 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

High water--yet to happen--may float away anything that we stack. I think we can count on a 1 to 3 ft vertical rise in the Columbia very soon.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4205 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 13, 07 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'll be in Bangkok on the 19th... Sad I'll be there in spirit though!

Nak

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Apr 13, 07 6:25 pm    Latest update Reply with quote

I was ready to call the Corps of Engineers to request lowering the water or keeping it low for our cleanup, but the Port has indicated they will do it. They want the request to come from them, which is better. To make sure we get a dry sandbar, we may need to switch the date from May 19th, if the Corps of Engineers say we have to do it on a different day to get a low water level. One thing we know for sure, we can't have a productive session with high water. I think it is great the Port is helping us to pave the way with the other governmental agencies. I really appreciate all the positive posts of people who want to help and bring their gear. I have an old 4x4 that is good in sand and a chainsaw. I like Gmans idea of potentially leaving a few big logs on the eastern edge to divert some water to make a pond in the middle, like the water level will probably be often this summer. We will have to see what it looks like while we are out there to determine if it will be safe. Its looking like a great venue for LOTS of hotdogs and a few cold ones! As soon as we get the date, I will post. Oh and we are inviting the windsurfers. Even though it will benefit us kiteboarders more, I think this will be a great step to work together for a positive outcome.

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Apr 13, 07 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Unfortunately, I'll be in Bangkok on the 19th... Sad I'll be there in spirit though!

Nak

i will be in mexico and will miss it as well... thanks everyone for picking up the slack.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Apr 13, 07 9:38 pm     Reply with quote

I will be out there, and we can bring my wife's Jeep to help drag stuff around Cool

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 14, 07 6:33 am    Re: Latest update Reply with quote

shredjim wrote:
I like Gmans idea of potentially leaving a few big logs on the eastern edge to divert some water to make a pond in the middle

Here is something to consider:

Could you tie the logs together, and stake them down, so that they don't change position, when the high water comes through...like making a snow fence?

With the prevailing upcoming West wind blowing sand into the mesh, maybe a little dune would form, and then this dune would help hold the logs in place, stabilizing the barrier, against a real high Springtime surge of water... New Orleans style.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 14, 07 7:42 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Here is something to consider:

Could you tie the logs together, and stake them down, so that they don't change position, when the high water comes through...like making a snow fence?

With the prevailing upcoming West wind blowing sand into the mesh, maybe a little dune would form, and then this dune would help hold the logs in place, stabilizing the barrier, against a real high Springtime surge of water... New Orleans style.

I was thinking this same thing. Are there any hydrologist in the forum? I could bring a few hundred feet of galv. cable, and we could anchor a raft of the larger logs together. I've only attended a 1 hour class on scour protection for bridges, and this is a method for re-directing stream flow.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSat Apr 14, 07 8:19 am     Reply with quote

would be cool if we could create a 3 to 4ft log mound - something you could drift launch off of if the water comes back to last year's levels.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: