Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

My New 1 Board Quiver (WaveBandit Performer 4-10)
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Nov 08, 17 10:28 am    My New 1 Board Quiver (WaveBandit Performer 4-10) Reply with quote

Quote:

Very interested in your post about using inexpensive small softboards for kiting. I haven't been able to find much info about using them to kite with. Any more info you can share as PM or forum review. Are you using the wave bandit in the gorge or at the coast? How is it for getting upwind? How is it for actually riding waves? Why do you like it better than your kite surfboards? I tried kiting with a bigger soft board a few years ago and it was pretty awful, way too much volume and wouldn't turn.

I picked up a WaveBandit Performer 4-10 this summer for my 10 year old son to learn to surf on. At $150 they are a steal.

After watching Ben Gravy rip on it I was of course also interested in using it for myself behind the boat and behind a kite, I don't think I have the paddle skills to prone it. I'm not sure how heavy Ben is, I'd guess near the 160 lbs mark. I am 5'10" 160 lbs.

First go was at the Bend White Water Park. This thing is money on the standing wave, loves to turn. Everyone who I let give it a try there loved it too. Session report.

Next outing was behind the boat and this thing delivered. It's a bit sluggish but generates speed when you slash with it. Very fun to carve and very forgiving. Session report. Video.

Since then I have started kiting with it and quite honestly I just don't want to ride any of my other boards anymore.

- It's feather light at 5.6 lbs and I love light boards.
- Being so light it works for strapless airs in lighter winds
- It loves to turn, I can do layback recoveries on this thing
- A true surfboard that performs in small waves
- Always feels under control
- Soft on my feet (I have feet issues)
- Easy on my knees (I have knee issues)
- I land tricks on this thing that I would never land on my epoxy boards
- Goes upwind well
- I can let it wash up on the rocks if I need to focus on landing my kite
- I can ride it over the sand bars without worry about grounding
- No worries travel board that fits in the RE Tactical Trolly (amazing bag btw) with room to spare.
- $150 unbeatable value.

I've since bought a second board to have on deck for when I break the first one. So far it's holding up well though. Lots of heel dents but no signs of structural damage.

It does take a bit to get used to the extra volume though, but that extra volume is nice to have when you are underpowered. Even though it's only 4'10" x 19" I can still make this board work in 15 knots with my 9m.

1st kite report.

2nd kite report.

My other boards are:
- Cab Secret Weapon 5-2
- OR Jester
- Exile full carbon finless skim
- Shinnster
- Slingshot SP 5-0

The only one it doesn't really replace is my finless skim, but you know, I haven't tried it with the fins out yet so maybe it could.

The board does really well in chopy crap conditions like we get in Squamish as well as proper waves.

My only concern is that in 30+ knots if the board gets away from me I wont be able to catch up to it. I always bury the nose in sand when on the beach dealing with my kite as this thing is so light it can blow away super easy.

I will probably pick up a Odysea Stump 5-0 to see how it works in the future. It's much more expensive and I'm worried that it will be too heavy for kiting but it would be nice to have a 1 board travel quiver that I could paddle surf too.

Does anyone know the weight of Odysea Stump 5-0?

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostWed Nov 08, 17 11:18 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Slappy for posting all this info. Now I'm going to have get one of these too try. I'm about 15lbs heavier than you so will see what that does to performance. I have lots of joint pain too the point where soft ride is way more important to me than crisp performance.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 08, 17 11:42 am     Reply with quote

That's pretty cool. Certainly peeks my curiosity to try it out.

Do you have to put anything on it for stickage? I notice they make a softboard wax, but I hate dealing with wax...

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Nov 08, 17 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

All the Catch Surf / Wave Bandit line require normal surf wax. I wax it up before every session as I find that it sheds the wax more than a traditional surfboard.

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostFri Nov 10, 17 8:44 am     Reply with quote

Glad to see this post.
Soft board technology has come a long way.
I was working with a team to make the Catch Surf boards back in 2006 and they are a great board but they do have their disadvantages.
No real fins.....no real solid structure and they do eventually warp.
But the experience of riding on a board that is softer is unique. All the advantages you mentioned are true. A softer board is more animate and feels like it is more 'alive'.

We have licensed technology to make boards which are similar in that they feel soft (soft skin stretched over epoxy top and bottom) but our boards can be 100% custom or cut from a CAD file that you provide (or we or a shaper design with you)
True high performance soft boards which are custom and have been tested on the North Shore for well over 10 years now.
Futures fins.
EPS and S glass under the skin.
Rails have an industrial strength softer foam just under the skin.

After riding one it is very hard to go back to an exoskeleton board which can knock you out cold....Kelly Slater said was the closest he was to death in the water when his board knocked him out in France.

Sending this one to James Ropner next week -- hoping to get some good feedback.
The traction on the board is licensed by Surfco of Hawaii. Wax Mat traction.

And yes that is Mike Hynson of the original Endless Summer movie---we are talking to him about making a Hynson model next year.

Ripper3.jpg 
   MikeHynson_cush.jpg 

IMG_0003.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_0003.JPG
 Filesize:  1.48 MB
 Downloaded:  638 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

IMG_0004.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_0004.JPG
 Filesize:  1.43 MB
 Downloaded:  663 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

IMG_0005.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_0005.JPG
 Filesize:  702.41 KB
 Downloaded:  647 Time(s)

Cush skinned boards
Soft shell outside - eps and basalt cloth inside
Memory foam rails

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Addicted

PostSat Nov 11, 17 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

On an intersting side note.....the exoskeleton (glass over foam) was invented by Bob Simmons. Any ocean surfer knows of Bob. But does everyone know that he is known to have died to to a blow to his head by his own board?

Robert Wilson Simmons, age 35 -- the "Father of the Modern Surfboard" -- died surfing on September 26, 1954. How he died, exactly is unknown. Greg Noll guessed that Simmons "Got slapped on the head by his own board and that was it."
According to Greg Noll, it wasn't that big a day -- certainly not beyond Simmons' skills. "The irony of it is that it was only a six-or-eight-foot day," wrote Noll. "That's the way it always goes. For the most part, it's not the big waves that get a guy. It's always some quirky thing."

And...
From emergency room data near a popular surf spot.

350 admissions to emergency departments for surf-related accidents were recorded.
65% of surfers injured were experienced surfers and 35% were beginners (44% of whom were injured during a surfing lesson).
59% of accidents occurred when the surfer made contact with his own board.

All this technology and 'fashion' gets in the way of function.

We have our aim set to change all that.

Cush skinned boards
Memory foam rails

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Nov 11, 17 6:50 pm     Reply with quote

Link? Prices? Where/how? Question

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 13, 17 9:59 am     Reply with quote

The link is in the first post. 149.99 a board for the 4’10”. Only one color left /mint til the end of November then a new shipment of all the colors you will wants arrives in time for Christmas !

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Addicted

PostMon Nov 13, 17 10:00 am     Reply with quote

sorry.
Not trying to hijack his thread.
Drop me an email at cushsurfboards@gmail.com and I will send you specs.

and www.silencersurfboards.com is our old site.

Cush skinned boards
Memory foam rails

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 13, 17 9:30 pm     Reply with quote

I had the Wave Bandit Performer 4-10 out in 40 knots today and it performed stellar as usual. My worry about the board getting away from me downwind after falls turned out to be fine. It flies a bit easier than my epoxy boards but still catches the water and rests for 2-4 sec between wave troughs.

Also landed flat and hard twice from 15 feet and no sign of buckling still.

Also while anything will stick to your feet in 40 knots I found that the Wave Bandit would stick well enough to allow me to air off of onshore wind waves and land back on the face of the wave. Until now I had always had to air over the wave and land well on the other side.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Dec 09, 17 11:55 pm     Reply with quote

I picked up a Stump 5-0 quad during the black Friday sale for $200. Haven't ridden it yet but I thought I would post the weight.

Performer 4-10 twin clean: 5.6 lbs
Performer 4-10 twin wax+sand: 6.0 lbs
Stump 5-0 quad clean: 8.2 lbs

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Dec 10, 17 8:59 am     Reply with quote

2# penalty for the extra 2” seems egregious.
Is the outline blown up hugely or something?

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Dec 10, 17 11:38 am     Reply with quote

It's an extra 2" in both dimensions, 2.5 in width actually.

Also double stringer vs. triple stringer.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Dec 12, 17 8:58 am     Reply with quote

out of stock on Amazon at the moment. Catch Surf didn't know when they would be back at Amazon. They said they will have new stock in February.
The Rock-It Chub also looks pretty interesting and a similar style.

perfect starter board for kids
4'11" x 20.5" x 2.5" (30.7 liters volume)
core made from recycled EPS foam
twin wood dual stringers & 6oz fiberglass cloth under soft top for enhanced durability
for surfers up to 150lbs

Rock-It seems like a real surf company not just reseller of generic Chinese foamies. They didn't know if anyone has tried kiting with them but were interested in any feedback.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Dec 12, 17 10:32 am     Reply with quote

I agree that the Rock-it Chub looks like a great shape for kitesurfing but I did an Amazon ask & answer about the weight and "1st Light Products" responded:

Quote:

CORRECTION--the board is 7lbs. The shipping weight (with carton) is 9lbs. Thanks for asking!
By 1st Light Products SELLER on September 19, 2017

At 7 lbs that's a full 1.4 lbs heavier than the Performer 4-10. That's a 25% heavier board.

I think it could still be great to kite with, but not in the same class as the Performer 4-10 for aerial's.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Dec 13, 17 6:13 am     Reply with quote

that stump 5' board was fun on that bend wave!

would think you want something with glass rails once you get it dialed and anything bigger than shoulder high and pitching

also watch out if you are flying delta - they can suck it

Boogie/Skim Boards
All travel regions excluding Brazil: normal bag fees apply, see Baggage Fee Chart
Travel to/from Brazil: normal bag fees apply, see Baggage Fee Chart
Boogie/Skim boards smaller than or equal to 43 inches (109 cm) will be accepted as standard checked baggage
Boogie/Skim boards longer than 43 inches (109 cm) will be checked as a surfboard and subject to the surfboard fees
Must be packaged in a bag/case designed to protect the boards

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostFri Dec 15, 17 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

I just weighed Chub 6lb 1oz. Rails are quite sharp and much, much stiffer than i expected. Hopefully get to play with it in a couple of weeks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: