Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Recent (fall 2017) car rental suggestions for Cabo- LV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pfchurchill

Since 11 Oct 2016
15 Posts
New Hamsphire

PostSat Nov 04, 17 8:56 am    Recent (fall 2017) car rental suggestions for Cabo- LV Reply with quote

It always seems to be a crap shoot for car rentals. We're trying to rent a car for the month of January from Cabo to have in LV. BBBcar rental has clear info (we have been through the mexican car rental nightmare before) and looks OK. Anybody have any other info/recommendations?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Nov 04, 17 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

Cactus. Email Antonio

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Nov 04, 17 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

Cactus

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostSun Nov 05, 17 7:15 am     Reply with quote

Cactus

Or - pay up front for the really good car insurance. I rented from Europcar 1x and the places I took that poor little car.....knew where I was going beforehand so went for the good ins. Absolutely no hassles upon return. They did want to know where"that" happened & I gave them the general area but that was the end of it. Also worth detailing the car prior to return.

ERiCMARiMBA

Since 22 May 2014
8 Posts
United States
Kook

PostTue Dec 26, 17 10:51 am     Reply with quote

Cactus quoted me $600 for 2 weeks! Seems like a total rip-off. A friend got a minivan through car Trawler for $149 for 9 days. I used Cactus last year but $40 a day is absurd. Maybe there will be hidden fees with Car Trawler but it seems if you have a credit card that covers insurance the rate shouldn't change much but I guess we'll find out. People at Cactus were friendly but the quote this year was a bummer. What kind of rates are you getting at Cactus?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 27, 17 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

Mexico does not accept liability coverage from U.S. auto policies or credit card insurance. You simply cannot rent a car without buying Mexican liability insurance.
I can't speak as to why Cactus quote was $600.
Maybe some one else can share their recent experience.
For Cactus - Did you email Antonio as suggested above? Maybe try to call them.

Details - https://www.tripsavvy.com/renting-a-car-in-mexico-1589147

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 27, 17 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

FYI: visa does not cover liability; only collision, loss of use, theft of the car you're driving. With visa you're on the hook for damages to another party. AMEX might be different.

It's liability in a foreign country that concerns me the most.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 27, 17 9:23 pm     Reply with quote

I love the AMEX car rental insurance, but it doesn't cover the 3rd party liability coverage you need in Mexico either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: