Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

MORE PUPPY!!
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
grom

Since 07 Aug 2006
167 Posts

Bolstad Clan

PostSun Apr 08, 07 1:00 pm    MORE PUPPY!! Reply with quote

Hey all you dog lovers out there, we have another puppy. This one was found and the vet said she was full of worms and going to die. Now she is doing great and going to be a wonderful dog. With request, we can bring YOU a puppy.

conky.JPG 

G-dog

Since 04 Jan 2007
61 Posts
Portland

PostThu Apr 12, 07 8:01 am     Reply with quote

DRM - look at those eyes, I think he wants you. Can't you see he's saying "Take me Home Dave"?

DRM

Since 20 Mar 2007
13 Posts

PostThu Apr 12, 07 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

I like girl dogs much better....

grom

Since 07 Aug 2006
167 Posts

Bolstad Clan

PostTue Apr 24, 07 9:19 am     Reply with quote

come on now, someone must really want a puppy? she learned how to swim and stay off kites yesterday. turning into a really good dog...

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostWed Apr 25, 07 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

I wish I could have her here. She looks so adorable. I am not allowed by landlord Sad

a.

grom

Since 07 Aug 2006
167 Posts

Bolstad Clan

PostWed May 02, 07 9:26 am     Reply with quote

last call, we are back in the states and she is going to the pound tomorrowish...

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed May 02, 07 9:31 am     Reply with quote

grom wrote:
last call, we are back in the states and she is going to the pound tomorrowish...

Sad

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed May 02, 07 4:37 pm     Reply with quote

Why would you bring a stray puppy home from Mexico only to drop it off at the pound? That's nice! Maybe you should take the time needed to find it a good home.
Bandito

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 02, 07 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

bandito wrote:
Why would you bring a stray puppy home from Mexico only to drop it off at the pound? That's nice! Maybe you should take the time needed to find it a good home.
Bandito

Grom has told me in a pm that if no one takes the puppy, it will go to a humane society that will not euthanize her.
I would take the puppy but it will require the type of care over the summer that I am not prepared to provide.

stringy

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 03, 07 9:37 am     Reply with quote

bandito wrote:
Bandito

you think the pup has a better shot in mexico then in the land of doggy-day-care and take-your-dog-to-work offices? don't harsh on someone else's good deed, i'm sure it wasn't exactly convenient getting the pup cleaned up and healthy.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 03, 07 10:06 am     Reply with quote

grom,
can you please post a new pic? I may have to take it.... I just want to know how big it's going to be.

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostThu May 03, 07 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

PJC,

An estimated 4 to 6 million dogs and cats are euthanized in America's animal shelters each year because they are not wanted by anyone, anywhere. We used 5 million to be safe. (Reference: HSUS Pet Overpopulation)

Divide 5,000,000 by 365 to find out how many pets are killed each day (13,698.63)

Divide 13,698.63 by 24 to find out how many pets are killed each hour (570.776)

Divide the number of pets killed per hour by 60 to find out how many pets are killed per minute (9.51)

Divide 9.51 by 60 to find out how many pets are killed per second - that
total is 0.15855

this is why you don't bring another dog into the states if you don't have a home for it! you may have found a home for the mexican puppy, but you took the life of a dog that might have been saved from the shelter by the person who adopts the mexican dog.

Bandito

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu May 03, 07 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

I didn't know you could bring a dog in from mexico - especially one w/out any form of documents (shots etc)... Confused
I tried bringing over a parrot across the border a few years back and the Migra said..."Uste esta loco Ese - No se puede..."...I was pissed...
So I had to give the bird back to one of my relatives who lives down there.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu May 03, 07 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
I didn't know you could bring a dog in from mexico - especially one w/out any form of documents (shots etc)... Confused
I tried bringing over a parrot across the border a few years back and the Migra said..."Uste esta loco Ese - No se puede..."...I was pissed...

Maybe they smuggled him in - hired a coyote Smile

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 03, 07 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

i think parrots are a little different, though I have no idea about dogs. when I lived on the border, people used to drug parrots and bring them over knocked out so they wouldn't make noise... it is big business. I don't really know why it is illegal... i think it's a US thing, like the turtles... (you used to be able to get all kinds of turtle stuff over there too).

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 03, 07 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

Tony wrote:

with things like the bird flu risk, that could play a part.

I picked up a pup a couple years back while in LV. I took him to the vet and recieved the clean bill of health documentation. When flying him back, I paid $75 to have him fly back in the cabin with me on alaska. Since he was under 10 weeks old, he did not require vaccinations yet. The paperwork got me through customs and immigration. He's a good dog and I would say most of the baja dogs are as well. I did feel guilty at times when thinking of all the dogs around here that could be adopted. Most baja dogs make good pets.

dam he got big!
 dam he got big!  big.jpg 
souvenir from mexico
 souvenir from mexico  baby.jpg 

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 03, 07 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

i've got a mexican transplant in my house. pretty easy bringing her across, even post 9/11.

thanks for the division exercise bandidto.

i've got multiple friends involved in dog rescue. cute healthy little pups tend to get snatched up no problem. euthanized dogs tend to have strikes against them - big enough to jump up on you, breed with bad rep, health problem, aged dog, etc.

i guess like adopting people, want to adopt a three year old kid from an abused home, no waiting, want to adopt a healthy little baby, get in line. so you simultaneously have large number of kids in foster homes and lots of people waiting to adopt.

some urban shelters actually import adoptable dogs from rural areas .... which is basically what grom is doing. results will vary, i'm guessing a bay area shelter could find competing homes for that dog, indicating no displacement.

i once flew my brother in laws dog across country to get it out of his basement and into some fresh air and love (long story). my friend working in humane society was the intermediary, i think she knows the score and wouldn't have egged me on if she thought it was a zero-sum exercise. it depends on the dog, this one sure looks adoptable.

i say go grom, you've got good karma. peace out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: