Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rooster Closure
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 24, 17 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

Drove by today and the exit was open so I assume the park is also?

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostSun Sep 24, 17 7:24 pm     Reply with quote

last night's local TV news said the park is open
I'm sure someone will confirm this on monday

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 25, 17 6:08 am     Reply with quote

I drove my yesterday and stopped. It's open. I left a message for the park supervisor to confirm and have not heard from him!!

Dalton was still coned off!

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Sep 25, 17 6:41 am     Reply with quote

Rooster is officially open! Beware the viet-shlong are out in full force.

www.naishkites.com

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Sep 25, 17 9:17 am     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
I drove my yesterday and stopped. It's open. I left a message for the park supervisor to confirm and have not heard from him!!

Dalton was still coned off!

Wednesday is looking like it might blow east at a mellow clip; 12 to 9m I'm guessing (not for foilers).

If Dalton is closed off try the BV exit for a Dw'er launch site.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=45.54929291659524&lon=-122.22010472422971#.Wck4yLpFzui

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 25, 17 11:18 am    dalton Reply with quote

Sounds like someone needs to drive down to Dalton Tuesday afternoon/evening and do a little recon mission. Any volunteers?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Sep 25, 17 1:46 pm    Re: dalton ROOSTER BOOSTER TIME TUES AND WED! Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Sounds like someone needs to drive down to Dalton Tuesday afternoon/evening and do a little recon mission. Any volunteers?

Save yourself the drive, the Oregonian answered your question, Dalton is closed.

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2017/09/oregon_state_parks_re-opens_fo.html

Upgraded forecast for Rooster! Looking very promising and not too nukey:

Tuesday Night
Clear, with a low around 57. East northeast wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 81. East wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=45.54929291659524&lon=-122.22010472422971#.Wcl4zbpFxYe

I guess the only question I have is whether or not the viet-schlong will stand or kneel for Captain America's version of the national anthem? Razz Laughing Twisted Evil

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 26, 17 7:47 am    Dalton Reply with quote

Anybody know if there is good place to rig and launch EAST of Dalton point? I am thinking launching the boat at rooster and heading east. Very Happy

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Sep 26, 17 8:41 am    Re: Dalton Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Anybody know if there is good place to rig and launch EAST of Dalton point? I am thinking launching the boat at rooster and heading east. Very Happy

You can buy everyone beers at Rooster for what I'm about to tell you and money and hassle I'm about to save you. You can't launch your boat this time of year unless you have a crane, or some super beefy 4x4 that can push your trailer into some uneven, non-cemented, rocks and bedrock. Probably f-up your trailer.

This time of year the river is low due to low snow melt and perhaps dams saving water for salmon migration. The Rooster Rock boat launches don't really work this time of year as they were made for a higher water level. The actual docks still might work, but I would want a pretty small draw on the boat I'm using.

If you're planning on using your boat, go to Chinook Landing on 181st/Blue Lake exit off I-84.

Places to moor your boat and rig your kite. Oneonta Creek mouth into the Columbia. A few hundred yards east of the Multnomah Falls parking lot. There is a beach this time of year.

Even better, go to the west end of Skamania Island which is insight of the Oneonta Beach.

Why even use a boat when you can access the BV launch or probably poach the Dalton beach with boat access, which is on the east end of the actual boat launch.

A few white caps out at RR right now and lots of sandy beach.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 26, 17 9:40 am    dalton Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Not towing from hood river to Chinook landing. So I guess we will just kite the east wind at rooster. Should be flat water at the event site in the afternoon for some wake boarder/water skiing. Very Happy

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 26, 17 10:06 am    Re: Dalton Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

Even better, go to the west end of Skamania Island which is insight of the Oneonta Beach.

I used to love Skamania island... But it washed away four or five years ago. At very low water levels there may be a sand spit visible where the west end was, but at today's water level I'm guessing it's underwater. The water level was pretty low the last few days, so it might have been above water. I'm not sure what water level it's submerged at for sure, but it's definitely underwater at 12 feet; today it's at 10.5. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv?cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=7&site_no=14128870

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Sep 28, 17 8:54 am    Re: dalton Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:

Dalton boat launch was open yesterday despite what is posted online by the State park's website.

One had to drive all the way up to Ainsworth to turn around though. BV exit still closed.

SE wind direction not as favorable than true east or NE wind as the eastern beach at Dalton gets wind shadowed. Plenty of beach to launch from.

Lots of shallow ponds and waters. I saw lots of sturgeon in those waters above Sand Island and only a few viet-schlong on the waters edge; they must be in the trail system and bushes making up for lost time with the recent closers.

Good winds to all!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: