Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

CGKA Meeting and Sandbar Bonfire Saturday, 6pm
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Apr 05, 07 6:25 pm    CGKA Meeting and Sandbar Bonfire Saturday, 6pm Reply with quote

I'd like to suggest an early evening meeting at the Sandbar, then move the meeting into an evening bonfire on the Delta.

We might want to do it this weekend.
I believe the water levels will be coming up by April 10 and most of the Sandbar could be under water possibly.

I'll bring down the handcrank blender and margarita mix!

Is this too outlandish, or would it be a great way for us all to get down on the sandbar together for both business and fun?
Thumb's Up

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Apr 05, 07 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

Lets do it! Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

I think this might have gotten lost in the posting fray today, y'all make sure to read it... its pretty good:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1175739903305230.xml&coll=7

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Apr 06, 07 4:09 am     Reply with quote

It's on. Lets say 6:00 pm Saturday at the Sandbar.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 06, 07 6:37 am     Reply with quote

is that tomorrow?

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Apr 06, 07 6:39 am     Reply with quote

Yes we are talking tomorrow. I apologize for the short notice, but the momentum is there. Step it up, make it happen, have your voice heard.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Apr 06, 07 6:53 am     Reply with quote

Also if you haven't joined CGKA yet, now would be a good time!

http://www.cgka.net/page-6.htm

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Apr 06, 07 6:59 am     Reply with quote

And I will have sign up sheets at the meeting as well

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 06, 07 7:03 am     Reply with quote

i think i joined last year, how can I be sure?

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Apr 06, 07 7:05 am     Reply with quote

I will bring a complete list of who has singed up and paid.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 06, 07 7:46 am    Re: CGKA Meeting and Sandbar Bonfire Saturday, 6pm Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
I'd like to suggest an early evening meeting at the Sandbar, then move the meeting into an evening bonfire on the Delta.

We might want to do it this weekend.
I believe the water levels will be coming up by April 10 and most of the Sandbar could be under water possibly.

I'll bring down the handcrank blender and margarita mix!

Is this too outlandish, or would it be a great way for us all to get down on the sandbar together for both business and fun?
Thumb's Up

Pepi

Great ideal Pepi!
I'll be there!

jp

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 06, 07 8:07 am     Reply with quote

I'll be there!

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 06, 07 8:22 am     Reply with quote

I'll be there a little after 6pm. It usually takes us a bit longer to get out of the shop on Saturdays after closing, but count on me being there!

BTW - If we plan on staying past 8pm, we may all want to park outside of the gate so as not to have any issues with the guys who lock up the gate at night.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Apr 06, 07 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Why are we reacting to a bunch of whining on this forum? A meeting to do what? So that Tekko, Forest and others can bitch at Cory and I for taking charge and developing a plan with CGWA to AT LEAST TRY TO INSURE SOME SAFETY this summer? It doesn't matter what we did you people would not be happy. CGWA wanted a 1000 by 1000 foot zone, and we negotiated it down to 600 by 600. For some reason people here think they should be heard, when last I checked they didn't sign up for any position in CGKA? NONE of us signed up or want to have the responsibility of addressing the comments, reactions or complaints on this forum, PERIOD! I suggest we make a NW kite forum responder position available when we do meet once the season gets started. I'm sure the whole room of people will be fighting for the position Sad

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 06, 07 11:25 am     Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

It's nothing personal. Thank you very much for not letting them have 1000x1000 feet. I personally believe we shouldn't have let them have any of it past the two jetties on either side.

Honestly, I think we all got a little carried away, and I know that I just simply didn't know where to turn when I found out that a portion of the Sandbar was being taken from us.

I think most of the hostility was a total misunderstanding due to lack of communication. We want to meet to discuss moving forward. My apologies for being so rude, I simply didn't understand what was happening behind the scenes.

Lets move forward on this, we got plenty of people fired up and ready to start working toward change. I'd be happy to take on a role in the CGKA, but I don't really understand the mission statement of the CGKA and I'm not sure that it's the right organization for the goals I would like to work towards.

-Forrest

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 06, 07 11:37 am     Reply with quote

BTW, my goals are (in no perticular order):

1) Keeping what is ours.

2) Improving the facilities at the Sandbar through fund raising and demographics of kiteboarding as they relate to Hood River.
a) Water, even if it's non-potable.
b) Restrooms, even if it's another portable toilet.
c) Picnic tables with shade (from both sun and wind) for the spectators.
d) Air compressor, even if it's run off petrol.
e) Signs stating the rules, areas, adverts for community discussion forums.
f) designated school area.

3) Getting Joby's slider, and other obstacles installed.

4) Possible modification of the Hook launch to make it safer, easier, and more convenient so more experienced kiters have more choice.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 06, 07 12:05 pm     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
BTW, my goals are (in no perticular order):

1) Keeping what is ours.

2) Improving the facilities at the Sandbar through fund raising and demographics of kiteboarding as they relate to Hood River.
a) Water, even if it's non-potable.
b) Restrooms, even if it's another portable toilet.
c) Picnic tables with shade (from both sun and wind) for the spectators.
d) Air compressor, even if it's run off petrol.
e) Signs stating the rules, areas, adverts for community discussion forums.
f) designated school area.

3) Getting Joby's slider, and other obstacles installed.

4) Possible modification of the Hook launch to make it safer, easier, and more convenient so more experienced kiters have more choice.

since i am 10 dollars poorer from joining the CGKA, I would like to add another goal,

"what needs to be done to ensure our Beaches stay open to Kiteboarding and our Privileges remain intact"

stringy

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostFri Apr 06, 07 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

Jim. Sorry if we have put you on the defensive.

No one is attacking you, Cory or your efforts.

All I was trying to do was vent my frustration and in the process initiate some sort of communication with those of you who chose to serve and lead the association.

If I remember correctly, when the time came to elect the speakers at our meeting 1 year ago, I nominated Cory.. and you nominated yourself.

I think the fact that you obviously participate on this forum, with your 31+ posts, that at a mimimum you could share with this community simple facts as to what you are/have been doing, so that instead of whining, people on in this community can have a chance to say- 'wow. Nice work, thanks. We support you.. what can we do to help out?'

A decision was handed down and reported in the paper even, that the CGKA- representing the kiteboarders- made a plan and this is what it is...

People are only fiesty because they feel like they have been left out of the process, while in turn being claimed as on being reprented. At a mimimum, we'd rather hear how it went next day, directly from you our representative, rather than waiting a couple days and seeing it in the paper and having Sherry have to be the one to post it and respond to feedback.

I commend Sherry Bohn, Elected Port Commissioner and chair of the Rec committee, in her other recent post for laying it right down on the line- once again and saying:

Quote:
'My Oppinion...is the CGKA needs a unified voice/go to person(s), who is available year round, that communicates to and speaks for the orginization, who is willing to work WITH the agencies in order to reach consensis and compromise over the long run.'

This is directly from the person with whom we will need to work, telling us, (for about the 40th time for those who haven't been paying attention) exactly how to work with her.

At the moment, Jim and Cory are our voted reprentatives. They are the ones WE chose to represent US....

Why do people want a meeting? Because they care, they want to help and they want to communicate with those that have been chosen to represent them.

This is not about ego or emotion, or personal attacks. This is about coming together on some common ground to preserve, maintain and improve access for a sport we all paticipate in, in this region.

Sorry guys. But after igniting all of this recent activity, I won't be able to make it this sat. 6pm sat I will be about 1 hour from landing in Texas for 10 days of SPI warmth with my sweetie.

Can't wait for the play by play recap in a fresh NWKite thread for Sunday Coffee though.

Jim, I hope that you decide to make the meeting... and I hope that you are received with appreciation and thanks for the work you have done and continue to do. More than anything, I think people would just like to know what it is you guys have been doing and how they can get involved.

None of this is reinventing the wheel. Most adventure sports have organizations both local and national for the preservation of access. We even have experience and wisdom from having done this work.. in this town.... right within our community. I hope I am not the only one who recognizes what Pepi brings to the table....

Here are some examples of successful sports access organizations.

Climbing/Mteering- The Access Fund : http://www.accessfund.org/

Whitewater Rivers- American Whitewater : http://www.americanwhitewater.org/

Caving : National Speological Society : http://www.caves.org/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: