Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Coast next week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostTue Aug 15, 17 8:26 pm    Coast next week Reply with quote

Family trip to Oregon next mon to fri. Woo hoo. Camping at ft Stevens, manzanita, Newport. Probably can't get to Florence. ...need a couple extra days for that.

Should be able to sneak in a kite session or two. Smile

Maybe a downwinder Monday at ft Stevens. ...hopefully connect with a crew there, more fun with others. Can anyone advise if driving on the beach is allowed this time of year? Need a permit?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 16, 17 8:57 am     Reply with quote

You can drive south of the ship wreck at Fort Stevens down to the 10th Street exit at Gearhart only. This affords you ingress/egress at 10th Street, Del Ray a mile North of there, Sunset which is about 4 miles north of Del Ray, and the beach access just south of the ship wreck which is about 5 miles from Sunset. The 3 mile stretch from the wreck up to the south jetty is closed to car traffic this time of year and will not reopen till later in the the fall and closes again in the spring.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostWed Aug 16, 17 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Sasquatch, that's helpful. Assume no permits needed? I checked the website, talked about permits in special park areas or some such ... but I am guessing this doesn't apply to this stretch of beach.

My family is stoked to drive on a beach ... which hopefully means I get to kite the waves downwind while they drive along and watch ... novelty for them, kiting for me, all good.

[Sasquatch: you were a really helpful info resource a couple summers ago on another coast trip....really appreciate you taking the effort!]

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Aug 16, 17 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

No permits are needed for the beach areas as far as I know. There will be signage saying you need a permit if you go through the main campground at Ft. Stevens. "Special areas" are specifically referring to Coffinberry Lake.

But, if you do not need a permit, consider donating to the Oregon State Parks Foundation. Oregon state parks are the most affordable and inclusive in the country. Heck, Nebraska charges $47 for a park permit for me and that is not transferable. It is also only good through the calendar year whereas an Oregon State Parks permit is good for a year from when you purchased it.

So if you appreciate the maintenance, bathrooms, and free access, consider donating and make sure you note those reasons with the donation.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostFri Aug 25, 17 8:03 pm    Manzanita Reply with quote

Nice to meet you Matt. That was quite a day at manzanita....big swells outside. A lesson learned....to punch through shore break it's way better over powered than under. Some thumpers down by the campsite.

Sadly Ihad to leave before the big weekend call....you guys will score! I had a brief attempt at kalaloch. Too underpowered on the 12m. Would a been excellent 17m but ran out of time to re rig. That spot has great potential for downwinder from ruby beach to south campsite. But does it get windy? First time I've seen it without fog. Closest spot from Port Angeles ferry. Smile

ps thanks for ft Stevens info. Downwinder from wreck to sunset was fun. My daughter got a kick out of driving on sand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: