Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wing repair suggestion?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 10, 17 8:08 am    Wing repair suggestion? Reply with quote

Any recommendations on what to do about this?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_8049.JPG 
   IMG_8047.JPG 

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 10, 17 9:05 am     Reply with quote

Solarez
www.Purestokesports.com

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Aug 10, 17 9:15 am     Reply with quote

I would use west system 105 epoxy with 205 hardener. Take a grinder and carefully rough up across the break 2 inches out into the good part of the wing on both sides.Wet out a piece of 4 ounce s glass and stick it on one side. Then do the same on the other side. Then cover both sides with peel ply and try to make it as smooth as possible. This will also allow the resin to pool inside the break. Let dry overnight and peel off the peel ply. You should then have a surface that requires minimal sanding in both sides. Hit it with 150 then 220. Mix up a little more epoxy with micro balloons and fill any pin holes in after sanding. Sand once more then spray paint repair back close to the original color. A few steps to follow but I have taught rookies to do it many times. Good luck

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 10, 17 10:12 am     Reply with quote

where do you get your supplies?

Scriffler wrote:
I would use west system 105 epoxy with 205 hardener. Take a grinder and carefully rough up across the break 2 inches out into the good part of the wing on both sides.Wet out a piece of 4 ounce s glass and stick it on one side. Then do the same on the other side. Then cover both sides with peel ply and try to make it as smooth as possible. This will also allow the resin to pool inside the break. Let dry overnight and peel off the peel ply. You should then have a surface that requires minimal sanding in both sides. Hit it with 150 then 220. Mix up a little more epoxy with micro balloons and fill any pin holes in after sanding. Sand once more then spray paint repair back close to the original color. A few steps to follow but I have taught rookies to do it many times. Good luck

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Aug 10, 17 10:40 am     Reply with quote

http://www.westsystem.com/where-to-buy/

I'm on kauai but I used to use fiberglass Hawaii epoxy when fiberglass supply was still in bingin. It is the same as west system but does not have the easy pump system. Still fairly simple to mix with a digital or triple beam scale but not as easy. Another thing is that you end up wasting a lot of west system in small repairs because one squirt is a whole ounce of resin.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Aug 10, 17 10:45 am     Reply with quote

http://www.westsystem.com/where-to-buy/

I'm on kauai but I used to use fiberglass Hawaii epoxy when fiberglass supply was still in bingin. It is the same as west system but does not have the easy pump system. Still fairly simple to mix with a digital or triple beam scale but not as easy. Another thing is that you end up wasting a lot of west system in small repairs because one squirt is a whole ounce of resin.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 10, 17 11:10 am    Repair supplies Reply with quote

Small kits are available at the surf shops in HR.

More selection at Tap Plastics, Ne Sandy blvd about NE 28th. Near the best liquor store in town.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Aug 11, 17 6:52 am     Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses. I took the Scriffler route and it was much easier than it initially appeared. All materials were easily found with the exception of peel ply. I cobbled together a solution and made my own by using scotch tape and plumber's teflon tape (it released perfectly). I won't bother with the spray paint as I am sure I will be doing this procedure again at some point.

Thanks again for the info.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 11, 17 10:24 am     Reply with quote

you must have hit something pretty hard. I have beached my foil a number of times with no issues like that.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 11, 17 10:53 am    Repair pictures ? Reply with quote

Would like to see your handy work

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 11, 17 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

Me too

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Aug 11, 17 6:17 pm     Reply with quote

I still need to follow step 2 (re-epoxy and sand again), but was impatient and wanted on the water today. It isn't pretty, but is smoother to the touch than it looks and feels very solid. It was barely hanging on when i started so i am pretty pleased with the result, cosmetic appearance aside. Only about 30 minutes of work once supplies were in hand.

I am not sure what I hit, but was unaware of hitting anything so was surprised to see it.

file1.jpeg 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 11, 17 6:37 pm     Reply with quote

Nice work

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Aug 11, 17 7:00 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks!

I am curious at what point does something like this become noticeable from a performance point of view for the average user?

How sensitive is foil performance to minor imperfections?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 12, 17 6:23 am    Re: Repair supplies Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
Small kits are available at the surf shops in HR.

More selection at Tap Plastics, Ne Sandy blvd about NE 28th. Near the best liquor store in town.

Agreed. This is the direction you should really go. I have used West Marine's West System, SolRez, and this small kit.
West System.... You end up purchasing way more than you need in many years.
SolRez.... Another great option (but not certain it's as strong)
And the small kit includes a piece of 4 oz cloth for added strength.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostSat Aug 12, 17 6:49 am     Reply with quote

Jack, nice repair for a novice, now go ahead and finish it up, fill and sand smooth making sure not to sand thru cloth! Efficiency....

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostSat Aug 12, 17 6:54 am     Reply with quote

I looked back at photo...next time drape cloth over edges of foil and trim cloth with razor when resin starts to gel. Then you will not have any pits or notches on leading or trailing edges. Now you got the materials, you'll learn little improvement steps each repair.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: