Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wing repair suggestion?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 12, 17 8:09 am     Reply with quote

nice job on the repair!
looking at the original pic, I would repair with cloth like most have offered already.
looking at the after pic, I would now fill the pits and uneven surfaces with a solarez type epoxy. it's quick and easy to sand. one trick I do with solarez is apply (indoors away from sun exposure) to damaged area and place some clear packaging tape over the epoxy. I can then manipulate the material and squeegee it to a smooth mound. then take it outside into direct sun. once cured, I take the tape off and leave it in the sun a bit longer. most of the time it won't even require sanding.
as for performance changes, I bet you won't even notice with the hoverglide. If it were a higher performance setup like the GW, you may notice it.

kbrossel

Since 26 Aug 2012
21 Posts

PostTue Sep 26, 17 12:21 pm    Wing Repair Reply with quote

Had a similar problem. Damage was similar to first photo with the wingtip split at the end. Went to a local auto parts store and got some 3M BONDO, Fiberglass Resin Jelly Kit, $22. Followed instructions, something I usually don't do, and the repair looks good.

Hoverglide.jpg 

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 27, 17 2:21 am     Reply with quote

Funny. I had the same problem, and my wings are green also! I don't recall hitting anything either. My repair: I just used marine grade epoxy from Tum-a-Lum, and scotch tape. Tape released easily the next day, a little sanding, and all went well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: