Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Emergency protocol to keep in mind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostWed Aug 02, 17 7:56 pm    Emergency protocol to keep in mind Reply with quote

Sorry to bring a downer topic, but there was a tragedy today and it's a reminder of how we can be good stewards of the waters we share with others.

At Sauvie Island this evening, a group of 18-20 year olds were on a wake boat no more than 40 feet off the beach, right at the kiting area. The boat was anchored and engine off. All of them jumped in the water at once, and one didn't come up. It's been about 3.5 hours now and Oregon State Police are now calling it a recovery operation.

These weren't kiters, but it doesn't make it any less tragic.

EMS was called quickly, and on the scene quickly. There weren't many kites in the air at the time, and those that were in the area came in and landed, while those who were more upwind may not have seen the commotion and kept flying for a while.

The following was drilled into me during my hang gliding training, so it's second nature to me but I realize most kite training doesn't involve prep for assisting an EMS response, so here are some things to keep in mind.

- If you see a large congregation of law enforcement vehicles, land or water, get to shore.
- If you see or hear a large helicopter, like the Coast Guard, get to shore FAST and get the kite on the ground.
- Please don't ask for a launch in the middle of a search and rescue effort.

By and large, the Sauvie kite crew handled this situation well, but it's an important reminder that when you see a search/rescue situation unfolding, do your best to get out of the way and let the professionals handle it.

Keep an eye on each other out there.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Aug 03, 17 9:14 am     Reply with quote

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/08/body_of_portland_man_18_recove.html

It really amazes me how often this occurs in all types of water environments. Sad as the young man was basically still a kid--so much ahead of him unrealized. Sounds like booze might of been a factor. . .

Crying or Very sad

So keep an eye on your friends, as well as people you do not know.

Condolences to the young man's friends and family.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: