Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SS bridle pigtail came undone on its own

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostSun Jul 30, 17 9:00 pm    SS bridle pigtail came undone on its own Reply with quote

I had a center line pigtail come apart during my session a few weeks ago. Luckily it didn't actually release on the water, but when I went to undo the lines afterward it just kind of fell apart (see pic). I bought the kite new and had maybe 20 hours on it (10m RPM) as you can see by the newness of the pigtail and bridle. I've used other slingshot kites for many years and never had this problem so perhaps it is a manufacturing defect? Too short an extension to be stitched under the webbing?

Anyway, I sent this pic and description to info@slingshotsports.com with no answer, so ended up recycling a pigtail from an old kite instead.

Word of caution, check those pigtails! Can't imagine that coming undone on a 30+ft boost Shocked

Pigtail came undone by itself
 Pigtail came undone by itself  IMG_20170704_190537.jpg 

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostMon Jul 31, 17 6:25 am     Reply with quote

This has never happened to me. I've had many, many Slingshot kites. But it happened to you and should not have happened.

Manufacturing defects do occur though. My understanding is that failure rates of Slingshot kites, including pigtails, are very low.

I have noticed some pigtails may have inconsistency in stitching. I always inspect new kites for any manufacturing defects and regularly look for wear and tear. If you notice stitching unraveling, or not right in some way, you can proactively replace a pigtail very easily.

Here is Slingshot kite pigtail replacement kit -

http://www.slingshotsports.com/StandardLinePigtailKit#.WX88QXNlDqA

Slingshot has solid customer service, but it is high season right now and they are busy - so email response may not be immediate.

Suggest you call Slingshot Rider Hotline to have the bad pigtail replaced under warranty.

You can reach the Slingshot Rider Hotline at 877.775.4832

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jul 31, 17 8:12 am    Re: SS bridle pigtail came undone on its own Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
I had a center line pigtail come apart during my session a few weeks ago. Luckily it didn't actually release on the water, but when I went to undo the lines afterward it just kind of fell apart (see pic). I bought the kite new and had maybe 20 hours on it (10m RPM) as you can see by the newness of the pigtail and bridle. I've used other slingshot kites for many years and never had this problem so perhaps it is a manufacturing defect? Too short an extension to be stitched under the webbing?

Anyway, I sent this pic and description to info@slingshotsports.com with no answer, so ended up recycling a pigtail from an old kite instead.

Word of caution, check those pigtails! Can't imagine that coming undone on a 30+ft boost Shocked

Spike: I was replacing pigtails on some of my seasoned SS kites and I had the exact thing happen to me. I was playing (re-looping it top something that I hang a wind chine on) with the older replaced pigtail and the stich on the loop (monkey fist) came undone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: