Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How to listen to music while kiting
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostThu Jul 27, 17 10:01 pm    How to listen to music while kiting Reply with quote

What are some of your guys set ups when it comes to listening to music while kiting? I see theres a waterproof iPod nano and headphones on amazon for like $120. Has anyone tried these or what do you guys suggest? Also how do you clip it on especially in the summer without a suit on? I've soon necklace type set ups but feel thats kinda sketchy.

If there aren't any good kite proof headphones what do you guys suggest for earbuds? I've been getting too much water in my ears recently.

Thanks for the input!

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostFri Jul 28, 17 5:58 am     Reply with quote

I use a dolphin barrel system I don't know if they are around anymore. I clip secure it to my helmet and wrap the buds into the webbing. They are excellent for keeping water out of the ears. here is a cheap piece of shit one. the original dolphin was and is really robust been using it for at least 7 years now.

http://www.gearbest.com/smartwatch-accessories/pp_114.html?currency=USD&vip=760163&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh872l5Cs1QIVSJR-Ch3WUgfREAQYBCABEgJ3RPD_BwE

The quality dolphin like mine had a screw in minijack i think this seals the jack so it doesn't short out the unit unlike these cheapy ones im seeing today. the only down side is DONT LOSE THE CHARGE cable it is very unique to the system and is considered a mini jack or micro jack its the only way to charge em back up.

Not long ago i saw a good deal on a shirt that was made for kiting and had a similar setup with the mp3 player made into the shirt.

here is a whole slew of choices. I like the buds with the rings or christmas tree style they really dig in and seal your ear cavity even under water or floating you will never get water in your ear with them until you wipe out on a foil board going mach 9 then they might come out.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/waterproof-mp3-audio-players-c10737/

I wouldn't ride snow or water without music makes it that much more enjoyable for those all day sessions.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 28, 17 6:46 am     Reply with quote

http://waterfi.com/waterproof-ipod is what I use, the attached headphones have pretty crappy sound quality and get uncomfortable after about 2h but the waterproof iPod is working great. I used normal iPhone headphones with it and those were a huge improvement in both sound and comfort but died after about a 5 sessions

kbrossel

Since 26 Aug 2012
21 Posts

PostFri Jul 28, 17 7:08 am     Reply with quote

This unit has worked well for a few months now.
https://www.amazon.com/Aerb-MD190-Waterproof-Player-Earphones/dp/B00DJLTJSQ

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Jul 28, 17 8:02 am     Reply with quote

kbrossel wrote:
I probably have over 200 sessions with this very set-up and so far so good. Decent battery life. Headphones still going strong but they do not like a long self rescue but will dry out for next session. Cheap option as I'm not a fan of carrying my smart phone while I ride.

craz z wrote:
I wouldn't ride snow or water without music makes it that much more enjoyable for those all day sessions.
Truth. Two hour+ sessions fly by and make sure you mix your play list because tunes will make you ride more aggressive.

Tip: Promotion in HR has sturdy zipped front pockets that keep everything tidy and accessible. (Impact vests, wet suits, headbands etc.) They can also custom a pocket on anything you bring to them. (Talk to Will or Chris) Their impact vest doesn't restrict motion, provides just enough float for when the shit show begins and has a great little front pocket for quick on/off access. http://www.wetsuit.com/New_Buoyancy_and_Impact_Vests.html

cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostFri Jul 28, 17 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

Cheers guys! I'm ordering the $30 Aerb setup right now and will see you out there.

Happy Shredding!

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostSat Jul 29, 17 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

kbrossel wrote:

I've had that sucker for a year and half, and it is still rocking with the original headlphones. I cut away the ear wrap thingy and just jam them in my ear. Lighter is better

cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostMon Aug 07, 17 9:35 pm     Reply with quote

Update: This was the best $30 I've ever spent! I got to test out the mp3 player/headphones this weekend and took them surfing for two days and then kiting at Jones on Sunday and I couldn't be happier. The headphones stay on in even the gnarliest crashes and held up like champs in the waves even when duck diving. The only thing I'd recommend is to glue on the rubber ear buds once you find the correct size as they fit so well in your ear that one time the rubber part came off the headphone and got stuck in my ear for a bit until I could pry it out with a small stick... Lesson learned. Also there is no shuffle but when you load up the songs you can put numbers in front of the titles to create a playlist. I used anything2mp3.com to convert some music over from youtube and soundcloud and then you load the mp3 just like a usb drive.

Thanks for the recommendation guys!

Last edited by cdub25 on Tue Aug 08, 17 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Aug 08, 17 9:41 am     Reply with quote

cdub25 wrote:
Update: This was the best $30 I've ever spent!

Glad it's working out well CDub and now that you've experienced the dark side don't forgot your tunes at home as it's almost a session killer......almost. Laughing Go Zags!

kitemac

Since 07 Aug 2017
6 Posts

Kook

PostTue Aug 08, 17 10:00 am     Reply with quote

Anybody have some good kiting playlists for once you lock in some good headphones?

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 08, 17 10:13 am     Reply with quote

Was reading this thread and thinking how much I missed my iPod Nano 6G (it was a square with a touch screen, perfect for kiting in a tiny case) and decided f*ck it, I'll just buy an iPod Shuffle for $50 and be done with it... Apple no longer makes iPods. Shocked

WTF? There is such a market for small capable music players to be used in action sports. What, are we supposed to all be using big iPhone sized things with blue tooth headphones? A nice cheap player, with shuffle, and iTunes connectivity, was worth a premium over an MP3 device. Ahh well.

Guess I'm buying that Amazon non shuffling device posted. ...music does make the long sessions easy and gives you that extra energy when you get tired. Thanks for the suggestions.

cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostTue Aug 08, 17 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

kitemac wrote:
Anybody have some good kiting playlists for once you lock in some good headphones?

It really depends on what type of music you like but I've been digging the tropical premade kygo remixes off youtube. One of my favorites right now is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pnCli9LBoM The only problem with the premade playlists is that you can't skip songs but I don't like messing around with the mp3 player anyway once I'm kiting so it hasn't been a problem.

Go Zags!

cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostTue Aug 08, 17 5:17 pm     Reply with quote

toddjb wrote:
A nice cheap player, with shuffle, and iTunes connectivity, was worth a premium over an MP3 device. Ahh well.

Honestly this device is almost easier to use than iTunes as it works just like a USB drive. Can't go wrong for $30! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJLTJSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 09, 17 6:22 am     Reply with quote

cdub25 wrote:
toddjb wrote:
A nice cheap player, with shuffle, and iTunes connectivity, was worth a premium over an MP3 device. Ahh well.

Honestly this device is almost easier to use than iTunes as it works just like a USB drive. Can't go wrong for $30! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJLTJSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Okay, I'm sold. How good is the clip?
Is it strong enough to trust attached to your harness or clothing? or have you found you need to secure it differently so it's not lost in a wreck?

cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostWed Aug 09, 17 6:08 pm     Reply with quote

toddjb wrote:
Okay, I'm sold. How good is the clip?
Is it strong enough to trust attached to your harness or clothing? or have you found you need to secure it differently so it's not lost in a wreck?

It's actually pretty good! In the surf I just clipped it directly onto my wetsuit and tucked it in and kiting since I didn't wear a wetsuit I clipped it/tucked it into my harness on the left side where a kite knife would go. Also the mp3 player floats so it would be hard to lose during a session.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Mar 26, 21 7:22 am     Reply with quote

I just reviewed my Amazon purchases for waterproof wireless headsets. Since 2014 I have purchased 7 headsets for myself.

So, I think it is fair to say that the life expectancy of a bluetooth headset is about one year. To be fair, two of the headsets are somewhere in the bottom of the columbia and one is somewhere in the sea of cortez.

A key component to look for is Bluetooth 5.0

Assuming your phone supports it, it makes a huge difference. Even when I crash I rarely lose connectivity in the water. Also, battery life is not an issue. Pre bluetooth 5.0 batteries in headset would die before my session did.

My last purchase was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SMFC4NP

Great sound quality, easy to use. Does not have a feature to skip over music tracks like some of my previous versions did.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 26, 21 10:28 am    NO CAPES!!! Reply with quote

Gonna be the splash of COLD WATER on this thread...

my .02 listening to music while kiting is like cooking during SEX, while both are very enjoyable they ought NOT be done at the same time for SO many reasons...

Mc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: