Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slider rope spreader bar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 17 4:38 pm    Slider rope spreader bar Reply with quote

I've been trying to decide on a solution for a slider rope bar for myself. I wear the xs Ion board short seat harness and like to ride toe side and 'surf style' in the swell. I'm small, under 30" waist and my current bar is 8".

I can't seem to find anything that small. The Cabrinha Fireball is too big. So are the Dynabars. Do I need to fashion something myself? Would a 10 or 11" bar work? Anyone using a setup for smaller waisted riders?

Appreciate your help and advice!

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 17 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

These Ion rope spreaders are available in Europe and Australia so they exist, but they seem to be non existent here in the US. You might want to contact Ion and see if these are available somewhere here yet.
http://www.powerkiteshop.com/ion-no-hook-spreader-bar.htm

Another option could be Mystic's Clickerbar4.0 Surf (S/M) with the 4-point system option to match up with Ion's strap system. The 4.0 version is a nice improvement on the operation.
http://www.mysticboarding.com/products/kite/bags-more/technical-accessories/clickerbar-4.0-surf-spreaderbar/#color_000000

Not sure about Dynabar, but that could work too since that they now make a Small/9" size. Make sure to get it with the same 4-point system for Ion strap compatibility.

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 17 6:14 pm    Re: Slider rope spreader bar Reply with quote

cathy o. wrote:
I wear the xs Ion board short seat harness and like to ride toe side and 'surf style' in the swell.

Curious... Does your harness have some metal loops welded to the spreader that allow the leg straps to attach through? If so, this may cause some challenges for you since this design feature is specific to this harnesses' functionality.
The current crop of aftermarket rope spreaders are for waist harnesses, so unless someone is making something specific for a seat, you most likely will have to make a DIY version.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 20, 17 6:43 pm     Reply with quote

Dakine has one that 8".
It comes with a hook the slides on the rope - but you can take the hook off and attach your chicken loop to the rope.
https://www.murrays.com/product/dakine-option-spreader-bar/

calikitesurfer

Since 03 Aug 2015
11 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 17 7:49 pm    Chop and tie Reply with quote

I took a dremel to the hook and then ran a rope through slit for the harness to connect to the spreader bar. Tied knots and you're good to go. Been running it like that for years without issue. There's enough room for the harness latch and a rope, first few times it's tight, but as the rope compresses it fits easier and easier.

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 17 8:07 pm    Re: Chop and tie Reply with quote

calikitesurfer wrote:
I took a dremel to the hook and then ran a rope through slit for the harness to connect to the spreader bar. Tied knots and you're good to go. Been running it like that for years without issue. There's enough room for the harness latch and a rope, first few times it's tight, but as the rope compresses it fits easier and easier.

Did you do this with an Ion seat harness?

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 17 8:09 pm    Ion spreader bar picture Reply with quote

I do have the special welded ends for the straps. I was able to attached the Cabrihna fireball spreader bar to these shorts.

IMG_0527.JPG 

calikitesurfer

Since 03 Aug 2015
11 Posts

PostThu Jul 20, 17 8:14 pm    Add a rope Reply with quote

Looks like you could tie a rope through the large hexagons on each end. I have a buddy that didn't chop his hook and runs the rope next to the hook and he said the hook doesn't interfere, you just need to give the rope enough length to rise a few inches above the hook.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: