Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Jet ski
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 17 12:07 pm    Jet ski Reply with quote

Anybody have a opinion on 4 stroke vs 2 stroke. I am going to look at a 2005 Kawasaki 1500 four stroke and 2005 Yamaha 1200 two stroke. Both have their positive and negatives. A dealer near by does not matter. I can do my own repairs, diagnostic etc..........Never to return to lyle again.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 17 6:03 pm     Reply with quote

4 stroke. Don't have to worry about mixing in 2-cycle oil. They don't pollute as much. They tend to get better fuel economy. You don't need gobs of power unless you are transporting 3 fat people with tons of gear upwind.

Is it fuel injected?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 17, 17 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

4 stroke. Get a 2 stroke if you can't afford a 4 stroke. Several SeaDoo models have factory wakeboard racks available. That is a really big deal if you plan on using the 'ski to access kiteboarding locations.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 17, 17 8:14 pm    4 stroke Reply with quote

Its not about the money. After all kiting for two is not cheap.
I decided on a four stroke. Just drove out to vancouver to look at 05 yamaha. Waste of time and gas. It was beat and dirty.
I also found a towable water trailer too. My gf is ready to leave lyle behind.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostMon Jul 17, 17 8:18 pm     Reply with quote

Having owned a bunch of skis, my advice is to get a new one. The only way to stay on top of the maintenance is to own it from day one. Plus anything wrong will usually happen within the first 50 hours and then it is covered by the factory warranty. That said, I have ruined 2 brand new skis. I have also ruined my credit stopping monthly payments twice after trashing newer skis. It is an expensive habit, but totally worth it. As far as 2 strokes vs 4'strokes, I kind of miss holding onto the back of the sled getting a wicked carbon monoxide buzz. In my experience, if you keep them dry and flush salt water after every use a ski can last 2000 hours.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Jul 17, 17 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

Scriffler wrote:
Having owned a bunch of skis, my advice is to get a new one. The only way to stay on top of the maintenance is to own it from day one. Plus anything wrong will usually happen within the first 50 hours and then it is covered by the factory warranty. That said, I have ruined 2 brand new skis. I have also ruined my credit stopping monthly payments twice after trashing newer skis. It is an expensive habit, but totally worth it. As far as 2 strokes vs 4'strokes, I kind of miss holding onto the back of the sled getting a wicked carbon monoxide buzz. In my experience, if you keep them dry and flush salt water after every use a ski can last 2000 hours.

solid advice right there!

jetski tuna.jpg 
   jetski tow.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

scottman

Since 08 Jun 2007
149 Posts
hillsboro
Stoked

PostTue Jul 18, 17 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

Get a 4 stroke. It will be more reliable and hold value better than 2 stroke. You won't have the burnt oil smell while riding.

I had one with super charger that that needed to be rebuilt every 100hrs, $400 in parts. ~$1000 for dealer to do it. Consider the extra maintenance a supercharger or turbo will require. Could be expensive. A NA 4 stroke is what I would look for.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 18, 17 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe a Timbersled bike adaption for water?

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 2.59.22 PM.png 

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 19, 17 10:07 am     Reply with quote

I agree with Scottman. 4 stroke, no SC. Frankly, hard to beat a Waverunner 1100 for reliability. Mine's a '05 FXHO and extremely reliable thus far. That engine has been used in a number of Yamaha's platforms (R1 bikes, etc). Sort of the small block Chev of the PWC world, in my humble...

I'd rec you set some shackles aside for a rescue sled too. Works great for retrieval and carrying gear to Wells, etc.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 19, 17 11:35 am     Reply with quote

Yeah the problem I find you have to spend more then you want for a decent 4 stroke. People think theirs is in great shape but there not! I just need a basic jet ski to ride to wells island. We are not going to tube or wake board with it.
Going to keep looking for older 2 stroke

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 19, 17 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

I bought a used Yamaha 2 stroke in 2009 to support my wife and 2 daughters when they were learning.
I'm glad I bought it - but if I had it to do over again - I would have gotten a 4 stroke.
It was actually embarrassing to start it up at the boat ramp - loud noise and smoke.
It ran well for 20 hours then was a constant pain in the ass (mostly carb issues).
It takes a beating going up to the island in wind chop - even if you tuck in close to shore.
We also used it to pull people on the kiteboards - it was a great way to learn board skills.
Have you worked on a jet ski? It's a tight fit in the engine compartment and a real pain in the ass to work on. Good luck with parts.
I would not have done it to teach one person only.
For the same amount of money you can pay a great instructor to take your wife to Wells island a few times and have enough money left over to take a vacation in Maui.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 19, 17 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

"Girlfriend" She wont marry him. She is wise.

Look Big J. I spent $5k on mine with a galvanized trailed. Of course, I'm using it with my two children. $5k is nothing when speaking in those terms. Jerri is worth at least that. Also, you might be surprised. I always hated PWCs (lakeskitos). I'm now really surprised just how much use we actually get out of it. No wind at Flores? No problem, we go wakeboarding (We'll, the kids. I haven't tried it with me on the line). Use it for other things once in a while. Really a pretty good tool to have. 2-smokes are horrible on the water (stink, noise...). Save up buddy.

FB_IMG_1466794122033-600x1091.jpg 

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 19, 17 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah I can work on it. LOL
I like two strokes smoke and all.. Reminds me of my youth. Yamaha RD 400 two cylinder two stroke.
I just don't see the need for a 5k ski.
My gf has over 40 days at lyle. She does not like the crowds at the ES. I figure a few down winders from wells will fix that.
I suggested we pay our instructor friend to take her there a few times. She want's her own ski and me to follow her around.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 19, 17 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

2 smokes at a track are one thing. On the water, that shit lingers along the surface and really pisses folks off (with good reason). Even with all the off-road racing we did, and the love of the smell of 50/50 race mix (smells like victory), I can't stand being anywhere close to a 2T on water (it's like farting in the shower). I suspect most folks around Wells/ES/Lyle would agree. Cans are now $0.10 in OR. Instead of saving those cans for altruistic causes like you guys do, save them for your 4T ski. Damn, just follow me around on the weekend (I'm probably good for a down payment in bottles). Just kidding about the altruistic causes (Jerri is cool when it comes to that). My 02, err, 10 cents, anyway.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostWed Jul 19, 17 1:10 pm     Reply with quote

If you are set on getting a 2 stroke, start searching California Craigslist. 2 strokes have been illegal there for awhile and there are cheap ones everywhere. We sold ours to some guys that drove all the way from Seattle. They said they wanted the trailer for free and we said no. We thought the deal was off but they had driven to Eureka overnight. We were so surprised we gave it to them with the free trailer. At that point 2005?, the law was set to go into effect the next year. Not sure but for sure there must be cheap ones cause you can't register them anymore.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 19, 17 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

Its windy when you kite. You will never smell the smoke!

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 19, 17 1:35 pm     Reply with quote

Buy a 2T and I'm going to nut punch you. Shit, just borrow mine for your Wells plan. Blue marine for the wheel bearing each time and return it with a full tank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: