Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Two types of Self-Rescue at the Bar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostFri Jul 07, 17 9:51 am    Two types of Self-Rescue at the Bar. Reply with quote

I've been to teach beach here in Maui, working, and noticed that there is a trend to teach the old school self rescue, "don't wrap your lines. Get to the kite quickly."

**OK, there is the problem of lines all around you. However, the quicker you get to the kite the better it is for you to have a flotation device. Once your too the kite your bar is just being dragged behind you, as you use the kite to pull you back to beach.

IKO and PASA both teach a standard self rescue where you half hitch the lines. The kite is flagged and bar is at the stopper ball, then you real up lines. (Mistakes often made here result in a partially powered kite.)

This is initiated by popping your chicken loop safety release, whatever brand it may be, the kite flags on it's through the bar line. 3 lines slack and safety line flags the kite.
Wrap em, on no wrap em Brah,

OK, so here in Maui the main schools are teaching the students to walk hand over hand, very quickly to the kite.
1. Hit your checken loop safety.
2. Tug-it really hard to make sure the line is fully allowing the bar to travel up to the stopper ball, thus flagging your kite completely.
3. Very quickly go hand over hand to your kite, Don't Let Go of Lines!!
4. Secure Kite
5. If wind is on shore use kite to pull you.
6. If wind is off shore deflate main bladder and roll it and swim in.

After talking with my boss, I learned that the goal is to get to the kite quickly.

Reasons for this are flotation and avoiding the kite-mares associate with beginners who are attempting to real in a partially or fully powered kite( Newbs often are not able to fully depower the kite. The line snags at the bar where it fits through the below bar safety.)

Has anyone here experience this during a self rescue in the gorge or elsewhere?
Could you share your good and not so good self rescue experiences on this post?

I think that location and what is under the water is a factor in the type of rescue that you choose to use. As a disclaimer make sure to take lessons from a certified instructor and follow what he/she teaches you to do. And above all else practice your self rescue on dry land until you know it very well.

Thanks,

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 07, 17 11:01 am     Reply with quote

I think I have self rescued just about every way possible. Each time the method is determined by wind, current, distance from shore and condition of my gear. Through experience I have settled on wrapping my lines in most cases. First winding up the leash line and then wrapping up the rest of my lines finished with a couple of half hitches. I don't like leaving hanging behind me especially if I need to flip the kite as I am navigating to shore. The key is to know how to wing up you lines correctly and keep them from wrapping your legs while winding them up.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jul 07, 17 11:29 am     Reply with quote

[quote="SalmonSlayer" Each time the method is determined by wind, current, distance from shore and condition of my gear.[/quote]

WORD! Let's not forget about water temp and the condition of the rider. Having wrapped up my leg in my lines from kicking/swimming, I much prefer to wrap up my lines first and get that obstacle/potential danger out of the way/equation.

As with many things in life, there is more than one way to "skin a cat".

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostFri Jul 07, 17 12:10 pm    wrap lines Reply with quote

I think both options are fine but if you want a (tow in) the lines should be rolled up.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 07, 17 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

We just discussed this on a previous post.

A lot of people with different opinions on this subject.

The one item I feel is important to consider is wind speed. If it is gusting over 40 mph a kite will often flip around with a ton of tension (factors inclusive on this are swell/waves, gustiness, and how powered up you ride). Having a bar in your hand to use as leverage against a powered up kite can be the difference between holding onto your kite and having the lines slip through your fingers.

However in light wind, pretty much any technique gets you to your kite with a high probability of success.

That being said, it's time to quite typing and go search for some 40 mph gusts!!!

Yahoo --- it's windy out there...

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 18, 17 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

The are numerous floating hazards in the river and IMO, wrapping lines is really important to minimize lines wrapping you around a floating object. We had the individual wrapped around a buoy almost drown two years back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: