Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foils LP vs Slingshot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lawnmower

Since 14 Dec 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jul 01, 17 6:31 pm    Foils LP vs Slingshot Reply with quote

Can anyone describe the performance differences between Slingshot and LP. Trying to extrapolate to the windsurf world.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSat Jul 01, 17 6:44 pm     Reply with quote

You should chat with Tony Logosz or post your question on his windsurf foil academy website.

http://www.foil-academy.com/courses/wind-foil-academy

He has experience with the LP windsurf foil as well as his slingshot aluminum and the not yet released slingshot carbon windsurf foils.

Or I think you can demo both at Windance now.

lawnmower

Since 14 Dec 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 02, 17 8:00 am    Review Reply with quote

Foil-academy is not really here to help. Posted questions are not returned. I will check into the demos. I seems that all the Stevenson foilers are on LP. Must be a reason.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSun Jul 02, 17 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

Both are good foils - two of the best in my opinion.
You'll see more of the LP on the beach now since they have been available for over a year. Slingshot is just now catching up and has some foils in stock for those who didn't pre-order (still a waiting list for boards).
The LP weighs in around 7 lbs and the slingshot aluminum closer to 12.
If weight is important and you can afford the carbon, then you might as well splurge, but I didn't notice much weight difference on the water (just when carrying them on the beach). The slingshot construction feels pretty substantial and ought to be able to withstand some abuse. The LP seems plenty strong, but at almost twice the cost you will want to be more careful with it.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 02, 17 7:29 pm     Reply with quote

hilton wrote:
Both are good foils - two of the best in my opinion.
The LP weighs in around 7 lbs and the slingshot aluminum closer to 12.

Not sure why you're comparing the LP carbon to SS aluminum?
SS also offers a carbon foil - Ghost Whisperer @ 6.8 pounds.
I'm learning on the aluminum Hover Glide - I'm hitting bottom almost every session while launching or landing. Happy to be on bomber aluminum.
Looking forward to progressing to the carbon Ghost Whisperer.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 02, 17 8:05 pm    foil weight Reply with quote

Does foil weight really matter when on the water? It seems like 6 or 7 pounds wouldn't make much difference unless jumping or doing jumps with acrobatics, spins etc. And with the river foiling we do around here with variable water levels, stumps, rocks etc I would think a more durable foil would be a huge advantage.

lawnmower

Since 14 Dec 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 02, 17 8:23 pm    Foiler again Reply with quote

Weight does not matter to me. Who cares on a windsurf board. I was more interested the ability to travel up and down river.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 02, 17 9:31 pm     Reply with quote

Come to Stevenson and watch and ask. A few peepes who have done the design and have the knowledge better than a forum are there daily or at least many times a week when the wind blows !

lawnmower

Since 14 Dec 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 05, 17 7:44 am    Sail haters Reply with quote

I'll have to walk down some day. Rigging space is limited. Are there weeds off the launch? Bob's is infested up to 150 yards out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: