Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lyle sting
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 30, 17 6:31 pm    Lyle sting Reply with quote

Heads up on Lyle tonight: Looks like BNSF is running a weekend blitz on enforcement. There were two guys with two trucks parked at the regular crossing making sure no one crossed when I was there two hours ago. They left a truck with a dash cam in place tonight, seemingly focused on the crossing to record violators. The easy Plan B is to follow the trail down from the parking lot on the north side of the highway and cross under the highway bridge instead and avoid their camera.

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostSat Jul 01, 17 5:13 pm     Reply with quote

No truck or enforcement today. All clear.

IMG_1397.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_1397.JPG
 Filesize:  1.72 MB
 Downloaded:  657 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSat Jul 01, 17 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

What was that one rule again?

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 01, 17 6:58 pm     Reply with quote

Scriffler wrote:

not this again. Do you think censoring the name of a spot will ever conceal our flailing neon kites 100 ft in the air ?

Kiting Lyle is not a secret. We now have a legal alternative to crossing the railroad tracks - lets encourage people to use it.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 01, 17 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

Don't cross my tracks!
BNSF = fucking idiots.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 02, 17 7:11 am     Reply with quote

flipper wrote:
Don't cross my tracks!

Unless you are carrying a fishing pole.

yellowblackandwhite

Since 20 Aug 2016
16 Posts

PostWed Jul 05, 17 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

consumer wrote:
Scriffler wrote:

not this again. Do you think censoring the name of a spot will ever conceal our flailing neon kites 100 ft in the air ?

Kiting Lyle is not a secret. We now have a legal alternative to crossing the railroad tracks - lets encourage people to use it.

I'm new here (2nd year of kiting and stoked about it) What is the legal alternative for the site for crossing the tracks to the site that shall not be named?

Thanks!

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 05, 17 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

yellowblackandwhite wrote:
consumer wrote:
Scriffler wrote:

I'm new here (2nd year of kiting and stoked about it) What is the legal alternative for the site for crossing the tracks to the site that shall not be named?

Thanks!

There isn't one - the alternative is to cross under the Hwy. Bridge (sweet rope swing there BTW), and cross the tracks at a place further east than the "main" crossing.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 05, 17 6:29 pm    Be aware Reply with quote

Bnsf had a fatality this week on their tracks. A 16 year old girl was hit and killed just west of bridge of the gods.

Try to educate people, without being harsh. I pull tourist types off the tracks at the white salmon all the time. I show them the path, spend some time shooting the breeze, explain how important the issues are.

The railroads rule out here. Don't make em prove it.

On a personal note, my brother drives trains for Union Pacific. It really sucks to kill someone, and they can't do anything but blow the horn. And then pick meat out of the equipment. Not how you want your shift to go.

Look for the trucks, and don't make it an issue. The last bnsf guy I talked to wanted to know how hard it was to learn to kite. I sent him to windance for a trainer.

These are guys trying to do a job.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 06, 17 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Singlemalt, perfect response! As kiters we all seem to become one dimensional in our thought processes and agenda.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 06, 17 7:14 am    Re: Be aware Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
Bnsf had a fatality this week on their tracks. A 16 year old girl was hit and killed just west of bridge of the gods.

Try to educate people, without being harsh. I pull tourist types off the tracks at the white salmon all the time. I show them the path, spend some time shooting the breeze, explain how important the issues are.

The railroads rule out here. Don't make em prove it.

On a personal note, my brother drives trains for Union Pacific. It really sucks to kill someone, and they can't do anything but blow the horn. And then pick meat out of the equipment. Not how you want your shift to go.

Look for the trucks, and don't make it an issue. The last bnsf guy I talked to wanted to know how hard it was to learn to kite. I sent him to windance for a trainer.

These are guys trying to do a job.

Word.

There was a pack of foreign tourists on the tracks at the Klickitat Spit . I explained to them that walking down the tracks to get a better photography angle was very dangerous and illegal, they promptly went back up to the top of the driveway to shoot from the side of HWY 14. Arrow

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Jul 06, 17 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Definitely make Singlemalt's post sticky at the top of the forum. Best "putting things in perspective" we have had on the forum to date. It is good to know some of us can break things down from our wants, to the reality that governs our kiteboarding location accessibility.

Flowtom

Since 10 Apr 2006
247 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 06, 17 8:42 am    dougs beach crossing Reply with quote

Dougs beach crossing. I have always wondered. Whats the diff. at dougs beach. besides windsurfers owning it. They have sites all over the gorge. You kiters must wade out to the sand bar to launch.

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 06, 17 8:57 am     Reply with quote

I've also wondered why what was done at Doug's couldn't be done for Lyle? Is it simply because it would add another slow down to the track? How about a pedestrian bridge overhead?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 06, 17 9:05 am     Reply with quote

FreerideWhiteSalmon wrote:
I've also wondered why what was done at Doug's couldn't be done for Lyle? Is it simply because it would add another slow down to the track? How about a pedestrian bridge overhead?

Perspective - back in the 90's there would be over 150++ cars parked along Dougs for windsurfers. Way more than we get for kiting at Lyle.
The CGWA made the crossing a priority and raised 100's of thousands of dollars and lobbied the Washington state parks to get it done. The CGWA hired lawyers, engineers, etc.

I've heard the the final project cost over a million dollars.

I think the herculean effort required for a new crossing makes one doubtful for Lyle.

Other alternatives are being explored by city of Klickitat.

Last edited by ldhr on Thu Jul 06, 17 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 06, 17 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for filling in the blanks.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 06, 17 9:43 am    Re: dougs beach crossing Reply with quote

Flowtom wrote:
Dougs beach crossing. I have always wondered. Whats the diff. at dougs beach. besides windsurfers owning it. They have sites all over the gorge. You kiters must wade out to the sand bar to launch.

I assume you are aware that the Dougs crossing has all the safe and legal signage and equipment? It's also a Washington State Park. And... windsurfers in the Gorge have had the support of a LOT more money than kiters ever had. Just look at the supporters page for CGWA someday... many $10K, $5K, $1K gold members.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: