Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lyle sting
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 10, 17 7:37 am     Reply with quote

The main Lyle boat ramp facing south is for public use. The west ramp closest to the sandbar is public use, but butts up against Native American land and you drive through their property to access it. I would be uncomfortable leaving my car there for more than 15 minutes. On the Native American popularity list, kiters are at the bottom, right below windsurfers! I believe they settled here "a couple" of years before kiting was invented and the RR was right behind them. They laid their tracks her in 1851, 45 years after Lewis and Clark kitesurfed down the river.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 10, 17 7:51 am    Business Opportunity for Bob Stawicki Reply with quote

Bob is getting burnt out of providing the free rescue service in Hood River. Maybe he could start a water shuttle service in *&%^ . How much would you pay round trip ?

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Last edited by Jonpnw on Mon Jul 10, 17 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jul 10, 17 8:05 am     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
Maybe what the BNSF needs is a good lawsuit from the family of one of the fatalities to address the willful ignorance on the part of the BNSF regarding this ongoing issue.

Bet the BNSF never thought of that one! That'll fix em!

OR

Think about the options the BNSF could exercise for stopping wrongful death lawsuits in this area. Maybe they could just put up a fence. Cutting it - destruction of railroad property and creating a life threatening hazard.......likely a bit more than just a "threat" of jail time and a $300 fine. Game cameras are pretty cheap and have top notch night vision.

The above quote carries with it the very attitude that is causing our issues. Has this "badguy = BNSF vs goodguy = innocent never do anything wrong kitesurfers" ever worked?

I gotta call out:
flipper
fisherman
user124

You guys are digging a hole that no amount of money or "peace talks" will ever get us out of. I appreciate your sentiments and comments, but I am SURE that the BNSF is watching this forum and that specific quote will make it to the desk of one of the railroad enforcement officials. Again, how do you think they will act on such a publicly posted comment? How would you react to some publicly posting the suggestion that you be sued for all you are worth when someone trips on some uneven turf on your front lawn?

Please rethink leaving that comment up on the forum. An edit now could make the efforts of those working for access, have some possibility of being fruitful.

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 10, 17 8:18 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
The main Lyle boat ramp facing south is for public use. The west ramp closest to the sandbar is public use, but butts up against Native American land and you drive through their property to access it. I would be uncomfortable leaving my car there for more than 15 minutes. On the Native American popularity list, kiters are at the bottom, right below windsurfers! I believe they settled here "a couple" of years before kiting was invented and the RR was right behind them. They laid their tracks her in 1851, 45 years after Lewis and Clark kitesurfed down the river.

Can you post an image/map with the location of the "south" ramp? I'm staring at Google Maps and can't figure out where this launch is. I see the one next to the Native Amercian area.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jul 10, 17 8:25 am     Reply with quote

I've kited "fight club" just once in my life; truth be told I kite in the ocean a lot (95-98% of the time) more than on the Columbia. But when I was learning back in '03 I needed shallow water, consistent winds, and no swell or waves. I'd much rather kite in other areas on the Columbia than "fight club" as it basically is a choppy section of the Columbia with some smoother areas by its sandbar. Maybe I'll kite there again when I get a foil? But right now, I want swell and or waves to ride when I ride on the river. Yes, I know where to find those areas.

So forgive me for asking this question, but I don't know the lay of the land too well over there.

I'd pay $10 for a roundtrip from North (Lyle) of the river mouth down to the sandbar area. Personally, I think a one jetski operation from Rowena would be a logistical nightmare and many scenarios on how to mess up that business plan; I think it would be better with 2. But such an operation would not really help Lyle business wise as kiters wouldn't be spending $ in Lyle.

Can one float down Klickitat from Lyle under the bridge to kite? Have a kite session, pack up, and paddle back up stream from where one originally launched?

Portland has public bikes to use for a small fee. Lyle could perhaps implement a similar program after a use and safety class was given and a waiver signed.

And of course this probably wouldn't work during the Spring with high waters and snow melt and no sandbar, but it might during the summer and fall.

Just a thought. . .

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 10, 17 8:50 am     Reply with quote

I think there are some good thoughts presented on this forum if someone is actually considering expanding their services:

1) How can kitesurfers/transporters benefit the local community of Lyle (vs. rowena where there is no commerce such as pubs, restaurants, and stores)?
2) Will a jetski suffice (I would think a boat is a much better option)
3) How/Where is available and safe parking?

I know a couple of kitesurfers that fish Lyle on a regular basis with a boat.

The first one to develop this market will own it... Better hurry!!!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 10, 17 8:56 am     Reply with quote

Here the south launch access. We park along the side of the ramp, it is huge.

Image-1.jpg 

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 10, 17 9:05 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
Here the south launch access. We park along the side of the ramp, it is huge.

Thanks - that's the only ramp I could find at all in Lyle.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 10, 17 12:57 pm    Re: lyle Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
wannabekiter wrote:
But in the mean time I am look for a jet ski.

Potential for another Gorge cottage industry. Anyone with a jetski could offer up at $5 a pop?

I'm happy to charge a pint of Double Mountain Kolsch per ride. Rescue price is a large DM Truffle Shuffle w/ bacon. Hell, bring a growler and I'll moon the BNSF cop from atop of the Waverunner (assuming no passenger at that time).

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 10, 17 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

Found a couple jet skis in my price range. Just need go look at them... Very Happy

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 10, 17 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

Well hurry up Jim. You've been looking for better than one year. A rescue sled makes them very kiter friendly, but damn those sleds can be pricey.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 10, 17 3:29 pm     Reply with quote

Just drove by coming back from Rufus,
i saw about 10 kites out there. So are people just taking a chance or am i missing something on how to get to the sandbar.

treitz

Since 07 Jun 2016
78 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Jul 10, 17 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

Probably people who don't follow this forum closely, or just want to risk it. I'm one of the only people out of my group of friends who follows this forum, so I'm trying to inform other people as well.

I was at Lyle yesterday, and a friend was out there Friday and yesterday without issue (before I read this thread about the $300 ticket). Based on the increased number of posts here, I suspect it might start slowing down, or people will find other wats to get to the sand bar.

If we really wanted to get out there, we would probably use the same parking lot, drop a couple paddle boards into the Klick, hop on them and then just take a sharp right after it dumps you out and drag everything up on the sand bar.

The challenge, I suppose, would be paddling back up the Klick afterwards...but doable.

I live 5 minutes from the event site. So I should stop driving to Lyle anyway. ha!

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 10, 17 4:22 pm     Reply with quote

In the attempt to add positive user habits to the discussions on this forum.

Please kite/ride only on the west side (upwind side of the sandbar) and not in the mouth of the river. This is the one critical measure that we need to abide by in order for us to maintain support from the Klickitat and Lyle community. The river mouth is a very historic fishing and hatchling area. Kiting (or even windsurfing) in this area is very frowned upon for the perceived affect it has on the fish population. As well, River Keepers is not fond of any kites or sails in this area due to the local bird population that has historically resided in this downwind area.

The local community has been using this location for hundreds of years and kiters have only been here for maybe a a decade, so we are the guests in this area and it is best to remember that a friendly guest is always a welcome guest. The guest who is a jerk is never invited back and is the one who loses out most when the improvements make the party location that much better.

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostMon Jul 10, 17 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

It is not illegal to walk along the bank of a navigable waterway if within the mean high water line. That means that hiking under the train tracks is entirely legal if along the water's edge. That also means being on the sandbar is entirely legal as well.
However, there's a big difference between being within the law and being free from being cited for engaging in such lawful behavior. In practical terms for going under the RR bridge, a good attorney could get you off, but it would cost more than the ticket.
It would cost even more money (way more) to file a civil lawsuit against the railroad to lay down the law and force them to cease and desist from citing people for doing that.
I would gladly donate to a legal fund for any kiter cited passing under the trestle (and within the high water line doing so) that files a civil suit against the railroad to force them to allow hikers under the trestle. Perhaps there is even a local kiteboarding attorney willing to provide such services at a discounted rate.

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 10, 17 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

Windstoked wrote:
It is not illegal to walk along the bank of a navigable waterway if within the mean high water line. That means that hiking under the train tracks is entirely legal if along the water's edge. That also means being on the sandbar is entirely legal as well.
However, there's a big difference between being within the law and being free from being cited for engaging in such lawful behavior. In practical terms for going under the RR bridge, a good attorney could get you off, but it would cost more than the ticket.
It would cost even more money (way more) to file a civil lawsuit against the railroad to lay down the law and force them to cease and desist from citing people for doing that.
I would gladly donate to a legal fund for any kiter cited passing under the trestle (and within the high water line doing so) that files a civil suit against the railroad to force them to allow hikers under the trestle. Perhaps there is even a local kiteboarding attorney willing to provide such services at a discounted rate.

Have you been there? There isn't beach to walk on under the trestle?

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 10, 17 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

Freeride is correct, there is no ground under the trestle. It is a 50 foot unusable span that would have to connected by some sort of cantilevered walk-way along the support wall. The span is directly over the Klickitat River which adds a couple more agencies that would be involved for approval.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: