Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River Even Site Kite Culture
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 21, 17 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

Definitely not pleasant. I only visit the ES to check out the babes. Kite, no way.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 21, 17 8:27 pm     Reply with quote

The event site is over. That is why the old guard is back at the Marina and the Spit..

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 21, 17 8:58 pm     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
ldhr wrote:

Nervous and anxious people tend to lash out with emotion.
I find it’s easy to spot these people. They won’t be smiling – they’ll look serious and nervous.

I ask permission to offer advice before I give it.

Spot on way to be nice and to enforce a safer/nicer Event Site environment IMHO.

As previously stated, it's not about localism, culture, or attitudes. Simply that as people are learning to kite it is very important to have structure.

The fact that somebody gets called names for launching a kite wrong is a reflection that the kiter is still learning, not that the launcher did things wrong.

You can take a good kiter and throw their kite up backwards on the smooth ES grass (no rocks to catch your lines) and they are going to laugh and smile at you because they still know how to safely get their kite up.

The ES is a well known and relatively easy kite spot - which draws a lot of beginners who don't yet have 100% confidence in their ability to deal with situations that don't fall within the structure of how they were taught.

That being said, if I happen to show up at the ES I would appreciate if you don't throw my kite up backwards....

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 22, 17 5:45 am    ES Reply with quote

Lots of good comments here.

As was stated over and over - lots of visitors and beginners - they need help, if you are there - helping them and being nice won't hurt - do they have reason to be nervous? yes - it's super busy/crowded

Make sure you are doing your part to help the situation

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jun 22, 17 7:14 am     Reply with quote

This will be my second season coming out for a 5 week period.
I find the exact opposite of the original poster.

I love Hood, and the event site. Great stoke, everyone seems to be very helpful and there is nothing like getting off the water at 530, sitting back, drinking a beer and watching others finish up kiting.

The only think i think they could improve on is getting the people from sitting out on the sandbar either on towels or chairs. Someone is going to get killed from a stray kite slamming into them.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jun 22, 17 8:14 am     Reply with quote

Go Home Kook!!!

ES is pretty mellow in February...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Jun 22, 17 8:22 am     Reply with quote

I think the issue is there is a grip of kiters that frequent that spot and there will always be one that ruins it for others, just like the rest of life. When I lived on Big Island there probably was not more then 20 kiters on the whole island but sure enough it was a tight friendly, look out for one another group. I miss those days.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 22, 17 9:14 am     Reply with quote

dhhr wrote:

I think the lack of a sandbar this year contributes to people being on edge more than usual this season (like ldhr said), especially if they don't have a lot of experience launching/landing on the grass.

I've only kited the Event Site during summer when there is sandbar and it's been busy but friendly.

I hope the flows come down soon because it'll be a rough summer without that sandbar.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 22, 17 9:41 am     Reply with quote

The ES can be a shit show, but even then, it's what you make of it. There are douches everywhere (in life) and unless the douchebaggetry rises to the level of putting people at risk, just blow it off. I've made some good friends at the ES and I still can't cross the river (I'm tempted to go back to pole dancing, but I'm gonna learn this damn sport or die trying). If it gets too hairball, I crack a cold one with friends and enjoy the scene (that's probably why I still can't cross the river...I suck, even after a few years of of trying, but whatever). Again, 99.9% folks at the ES are awesome. We have to meet up one of these times at the ES. We'll have a couple beers and enjoy the show if not on the water.
Last edited by deminimis on Thu Jun 22, 17 4:41 pm; edited 3 times in total

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
106 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostThu Jun 22, 17 11:55 am     Reply with quote

I've always found the event sight a friendlier then normal place to kite. Crowded and getting more crowded though. The locals have always been very friendly and the visitors usually just trying to figure everything out. Last year I did see one of the friendliest locals I've ever met get punched in the face because he questioned why a dog was running loose. Anything is always possible.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 22, 17 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

Just watch out for Piero (the dude is seriously sketch (skates barefooted)).

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 22, 17 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

I have to weigh in on this one. I moved to the White Salmon area (Snowden Hill Billy-hood) in February from Seattle, am in my fifth season kiting, and have kited randomly a few years/times in HR as a visitor. Kiting literally changed my life and finding a remote role for work and moving to the Gorge is completely awesome. I miss my Seattle crew but don't miss the craziness of the big city.

Since May I've had around 20 sessions at the ES using the grass. I'd consider myself a strong intermediate kiter, and no special abilities beyond my custom Meerkite Ride Engine harness. I'm still pretty shitty on a directional and foil and have lots to learn. My experience has always been positive with folks on the beach and welcoming by locals. I love the vibe of the ES and getting tips from folks who are way better riders than I am.

I think it's all about approach too. I recognize I'm an outsider and try to smile and say hi to people. I love at least having a common bond about my favorite passion with folks I have yet to get to know. My biggest problem is remembering all the names of the new people I've met!

That said, there was a guy I landed a couple of weeks ago who appeared to be muttering something under his breath after I landed him and showed body language that seemed "annoyed". I asked him what was up, and he explained that the protocol after landing someone was to walk their kite up to the landing/dry area and allow them to follow and get their lines out of the way - which actually made perfectly good sense. I thanked him for explaining that to me and started doing that each time, and I also let newer people know that's how it works at this launch and they are thankful. I don't remember reading that part or having anyone tell me, but I should've seen it by observation, and others doing it for me (DOH!) - ultimately though, I'm not the most observant person so this finer detail escaped me.

Anyway, I appreciate all the kind advice and patience many, many of you have given me, and the helpful launches and lands, as well as not banning me for my sometimes kookish behavior! I need to heed the advice further up this thread and bring some Country Boy six packs over for apres kite and pay it forward. Remember that a smile can go a long way, a friendly chat in the parking lot, and it's great advice to remember that the ES can be really stressful for a lot of people. I remember reading the intro about it on this board a few years ago and thinking that there was a ton to remember (black holes, no kites at 12 O'clock, be dressed and ready to go before rigging your lines, etc.). I don't stress over any of these details these days, but it can be overwhelming for a first time visitor or beginning kiter that wants to be courteous.

Again, thank you to everyone who's welcomed an outsider. I joined the CGKA last week as well and will endeavor to support local businesses, participate in efforts others in this community have put into the launches and diplomacy in the background that provides the venues to enjoy our sport.

Last edited by FreerideWhiteSalmon on Thu Jun 22, 17 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PieroPDX

Since 22 May 2006
109 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 22, 17 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

deminimis wrote:
Just watch out for Piero (the dude is seriously sketch (skates barefooted)).

HaHA! Dammit, now I'm triggered. Very Happy

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jun 22, 17 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

Anyone who has kited even once on a summer weekend at the ES can not help but notice it is an over-the-top full-on shit show of epic proportions

BUT that is no excuse to be less than kind and helpful. If you know it is going to happen, enjoy it or don't go there.
If you are nice to people they are almost always nice back....

Until they prove to you they need to be put down Shocked Laughing

PieroPDX

Since 22 May 2006
109 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 22, 17 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

I'm always fascinated by discussions born of the implication that any subculture is somehow more or less plagued by human nature differently than others.

Every subculture I've encountered is plagued by the dark parts of human nature - Ego, tribalism, a false belief in the importance of things we subjectively perceive as 'self-worth', 'respect', 'dignity', 'status' etc.

I would argue that most of our worst qualities were actually survival assets for billions of years. We just crawled out of the trees and stopped throwing our shit at each other yesterday, so it's not surprising human evolutionary psychology is still weighing us down regardless of cultural context.

It used to really get to me. I used to be constantly in a funk about the fact that humanity and the world failed to align with what I wished it to be. One of the things I realized was that much of my anger was born of internal optimism. I imagined a world that was so much better than the one I experienced and I had difficulty accepting that it was so flawed.

Personally, I recommend regular doses of Dr. Jordan Peterson, Carl Sagan, Sam Harris, and Alan Watts. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors don't hurt either. Razz

PS - is this phpBB dinosaur ever going to join the 21st century!? All us geezers are going to die off and nobody without gray hair wants to deal with this ancient user experience. C'mon! Wink How about something like https://www.discourse.org/

ok, /rant

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 22, 17 6:34 pm    Ps Piero Reply with quote

This phpBB your talking about ? Is this talking nerd talk for this forum platform ? Why mess with it ? It's clean ! It works and it's not wonky . Software guy needs to chill out on rolling out "improvements" every 6 months . Very Happy

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

PieroPDX

Since 22 May 2006
109 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 22, 17 7:37 pm    Re: Ps Piero Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
This phpBB your talking about ? Is this talking nerd talk for this forum platform ? Why mess with it ? It's clean ! It works and it's not wonky . Software guy needs to chill out on rolling out "improvements" every 6 months . Very Happy

Yeah I hear ya Jon. Although I'd disagree on all points, especially wonky. (Jesus the 'H' button on my keyboard doesn't even work reliably in here) Smile
And goes without saying, we're all infinitely grateful for the service over the years, seriously. A party is in order for sure.

A bit of a friendly roast, a bit of tough love... call it what you will...But...

Ya know what else isn't broke and doesn't need fixing? Rubbing sticks together! Razz

I for one would volunteer my time to help bring this old boy/girl into the current century, which would arguably eliminate the need for so much maintenance/upkeep. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I hate to break it to ya folks, but people without gray pubes demand 'community' digital experiences that 'just work' on mobile, allow for notifications, thread/board subscriptions, resizes and reformats images automatically, the list goes on and on (PM me for pics because I can't figure it out!).

It's long overdue 'out to the pasture' on this one, but I respect the wishes of the elders if they insist on wasting away in the geriatric ward. This is likely my last appeal on the topic.

The next two generations are already using group chat, Facebook groups, etc. for Northwest Kiteboarding community, so believe me nobody is going to lose sleep if us geezers on NWkite stay in the 20th century. I just have a soft spot for this particular community and would love to see it not slowly waste away because we refuse to acknowledge that the 'kids' under 50 prefer matches and lighters to start a fire. Razz

I told my mother she could have her computer remember passwords for her, but she insists on writing em down on pieces of paper and inevitably losing them. But it's scary for her to change, or learn new things, and she's also fond of the 'if it ain't broke' retort in the context of te modern world, even wen it's obvious that the alternative would make her life easier.

We will all be there one day. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: