Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River Kiting Safely

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 25, 17 9:44 am    Hood River Kiting Safely Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQCXZwS65S0

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQCXZwS65S0 [/youtube]

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu May 25, 17 10:19 am    Great proactive Safety vid! Reply with quote

Nice work people! Get the word out. . . !

Question though? It would seem to me to be a wiser idea when launching to have the kite launched to the North of the rider. In the vid (sec 33 to about 37 and later in the vid) it can be seen a kiter is being launched on the sandbar very close to the main shoreline and the kiter is north of the kite. If gusted and the kiter would be that much closer to the downwind jetty etc etc.

If gusted with the kite North of the rider, the rider would be thrust out towards the open water and sand area. I also realize that objects (people, kites, dogs, boards) most likely would be in the way, especially on a crowded day.

I've always though it was much safer to have the kite north of you when launching; once launched keep it at 45 degrees on less from the ground and or water. KEEP IT LOW AND GO (don't hang around and definitely don't fly the kite up high like 12 o'clock where one has no leverage on the kite).

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 25, 17 5:36 pm    Re: Great proactive Safety vid! Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

Question though? It would seem to me to be a wiser idea when launching to have the kite launched to the North of the rider. In the vid (sec 33 to about 37 and later in the vid) it can be seen a kiter is being launched on the sandbar very close to the main shoreline and the kiter is north of the kite. If gusted and the kiter would be that much closer to the downwind jetty etc etc.

If gusted with the kite North of the rider, the rider would be thrust out towards the open water and sand area. I also realize that objects (people, kites, dogs, boards) most likely would be in the way, especially on a crowded day.

I've always though it was much safer to have the kite north of you when launching; once launched keep it at 45 degrees on less from the ground and or water. KEEP IT LOW AND GO (don't hang around and definitely don't fly the kite up high like 12 o'clock where one has no leverage on the kite).

Yes, you are actually very correct about this.
Thank you for sharing!!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 25, 17 7:58 pm     Reply with quote

that was a great informative video!
Here it is embedded

Link

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri May 26, 17 9:36 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
that was a great informative video!
Here it is embedded

Totally agree, solid insight for keeping the stoke safe. New kiters can be intimidated by the Sand Bar etc so just ask questions. I've never witnessed anybody not go above and beyond to try and help a new kiter out.

It's funny how Youtube queues up this video right after the HR Safety vid. Please don't be like Jean-Claude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjcioMm6LD4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: