Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cold water navigation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon May 15, 17 11:07 am    Cold water navigation Reply with quote

For all of you Event Site Kiters, the green Navigation buoy is missing in front of the Wunderbar, so good luck finding it. A iceberg must have taken it out this winter! I won't miss it. Speaking of icebergs, the water temp is 45 over here because of the WS River flowage. Remember the 1-10-1 rule for cold water immersion.

People without a wetsuit wearing a flotation device who are submerged in water colder than 59 have 1 minute to recover from the shock, 10 minutes before losing effective use of their limbs, and 1 hour before losing consciousness due to hypothermia. The river is 53 plus or minus depending on where you kite, so it is important for us locals to educate numskulls going out with minimal wetsuit coverage during the spring season. It is all about the swim home.

PostWed May 17, 17 6:03 am    relocated Reply with quote

I'm not sure but I think the green buoy that used to live at the mouth of the White Salmon has been relocated farther west, closer to the hatchery. The coast guard will selectively relocate buoys depending on changing river depths and navigation hazards. They've moved the red buoy by the sandbar a few times as well.

Fyi: The wave from the wake of the Coast Guard buoy tender boat is quite impressive.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostWed May 17, 17 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

I noticed that also.
Was wondering if the green buoy was moved on purpose.
It's hard to imagine the shallow water from the Wunderbar extending that far west, but I did confirm that the sandbar is still there by the bridge. It's just about 5-6 feet underwater currently.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri May 19, 17 6:48 am     Reply with quote

I found the green buoy yesterday. It is on the WA. side near the fish hatchery buildings. The 20 knot current must have moved it!!!!! Measured the temp over at the Wunderbar, an exhilarating 49 degrees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: