Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kiteboard croatia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 05, 17 3:42 pm    kiteboard croatia? Reply with quote

Hey Forum,

Likely headed to Croatian coast with family this summer for a week or so. Any tips on places to kite or links to resources? Is June, July or August better for wind?

Thanks

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 05, 17 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

did you see this?

http://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/country/Croatia

It sounds like you'll get nice thermals every day in the summer. "Constant thermal sideshore wind 'Mistral' with 15-25 knts. Best time is June to August with steady NW or W winds. After August check the forecast for strong SE and NE winds."

"MISTRAL is a constant mostly thermal Adriatic wind, best beloved by the leisure sailing community, once upon the time so regular that watches could be wound by its appearance. Generated by seasonal etesian NW air streams and local thermal effects, maestral usually appears with the coastal land getting warm and causing fall of pressure due to rising of the lighter air – substituted then by colder air steaming above the sea. Having been born as zmorac (oštrin) at about 9 to 10 in the morning, it suddenly collapses around noontime and regenerates soon as a pretty strong westerly to northwesterly wind, depending upon configuration of the coastal range.It reaches its peak at about 2 in the afternoon, then gradually collapses– with a typical “last stroke” around 5 in the afternoon.
Maestral gets stronger from the Bay of Trieste to the Otranto strait,where it can reach gale force, always leaving high “dead” waves very unpleasant to navigate over.
A very strong maestral is locally called maestralun that sometimes continues all the night through. The signs to read are white cumulus clouds over the islands and the coastal mountains. A break in its regular appearance is a sign that a depression is on the move."

MCD

Since 24 Feb 2014
42 Posts

PostThu Apr 06, 17 7:52 am    Kite Croatia Reply with quote

From Dubrovnik it is about an hour to the Peljisac peninsula. This is a great place to taste wine and that is what we were doing and looking for a clone to replace our Zinfandel. Amazing. Adriatic is as clear as Gin and warm and perfect-- we were there in September.
Nearly toward the end of the peninsula the mountains on both sides squeeze the wind gradient and there is a windsurfing and kiting place called Water Donkey near Viganj. Run by Germans--they only do lessons--no rentals.
There is another place called North kite that is further east and I recommend that.
I had no equipment and no one would rent to me unless I took a lesson so I waited until the end of lessons and did talk the owner into renting me some gear. The wind died on me as the previous post noted. But I had a great time. It is a great place with lots of cheap rental accommodations and reminded me a bit of Baja. PM me and I will give you more details.
I was there year before last. Go earlier, things were closing up in September and winds were light.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Apr 06, 17 8:38 am     Reply with quote

Back in 2000 I did about 600 miles of powerboating on the coastline from Split to Dubrovnik, back to Split and then up to Lun and back to Split. Yes, it can be very windy (I went the 1st half of August). The waters are clear, somewhat warm (low to mid 60's I'd say so you're going to want a shortie). The coastline is steep and very rocky. I think I visited one alcove that was wind protected that had a very small sand beach. In the 90's every day for the two weeks I was there.

Dubrovnik is one of the cooler cities in Europe.

smiller7

Since 13 Jun 2016
8 Posts

Kook

PostFri Apr 07, 17 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

I will be heading there mid June and taking a Split to Dubrovnik catamaran. It sounds like places can get pretty crowded mid summer. It looks like there are some rental options, including this place in Viganj. https://www.windsurfing-kitesurfing-viganj.com/pricelist-c1z9j

PistolPete

Since 26 Apr 2010
16 Posts

PostFri Apr 14, 17 8:08 pm     Reply with quote

Several years ago I spent a July in Croatia and did some windsurfing at Vrboska http://bota-vrboska.com/. Thermal driven afternoon winds only. I also took a day trip to the beautiful zlatni rat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zlatni_Rat on Brac and was tempted to try a kite rental http://en.zutimacak.hr/kite. But already aware of the thermals I was talking to the people renting and they mentioned that if the wind dies they have rescue boats for an extra fee. I watched the kiters struggle to get good wind, the windsurfers were powered enough, but I decided to pass. Later on the boat trip back across the Hvar Channel I saw kiters sitting in the water up to a mile away waiting for rescue boats, no windsurfers waiting. Only saw light wind thermal kiting conditions that July in the islands...

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostMon Apr 17, 17 10:22 am     Reply with quote

I heard from a local friend about the town of Bol on one of the islands. There is a killer spot, lots of kiters, and the dress code is topless/speedos.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 17, 17 10:36 am     Reply with quote

lubomm wrote:
and the dress code is topless/speedos.

Is that the good news or bad?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Apr 17, 17 11:45 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
lubomm wrote:
and the dress code is topless/speedos.

Is that the good news or bad?

Topless Good Thumb's Up ; moose knuckle/speedo bad Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: