Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

leading edge bladder popped - fixable?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 28, 17 7:26 pm    another trick Reply with quote

the inside is darn near impossible, or like John said, four hands needed.

Using the painters tape to keep things flat was smart, I went one step further and started using the blue tape for the inside patch.actually works pretty good since you can manipulate it, the goal being a smooth flat surface. I would leave it in, and do the tear aid patch. Looked funny but worked good.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Feb 28, 17 8:49 pm     Reply with quote

Blue tape on the inside is a great idea! Wish I would have thought of that. Would have made it much easier. Next time ...
- Bob

GregK

Since 21 Jan 2010
14 Posts
Comox, BC

PostTue Feb 28, 17 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

Good for you Bob for sticking with it ( no pun intended ). Now you know why I recommended annealing, it allows the edges of the tear to come together without any wrinkles near the tear, keeping the TearAid patch narrow.

As Dangler suggested, welding a patch of new film is the ultimate repair, best for when the tear is close to or over the bladder edge seam. The equipment and tooling that I use for bladder welding forms a 1/4-inch wide weld, just like the edge seams. The patch below goes over one of the bladder's edge seams. Bag sealers make too narrow a weld IMO, and often an uneven weld across its length.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Mar 01, 17 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Those repairs look really nice! (Unlike my horrendous hack job)
I see you put some small pieces of tape on first to hold the edges down before doing the main patch - smart. What do you use to do the annealing?
- Bob

Last edited by bobgatpdx on Thu Mar 02, 17 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

STZZ

Since 06 May 2013
39 Posts
N.Couve

PostWed Mar 01, 17 11:59 am    Dangler rocks! Reply with quote

Dangler's bladder repair has held strong, both bladder and LE stitching. He is my go to now.

Speaking of, I have an exploded 10m Rally for you to work on Mark.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 01, 17 12:43 pm    DANGLERIZE Reply with quote

OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!! First unofficial day of Spring! Can't wait to get back out there.

My phone number is 509-261-0587 for all your repair needs. Cheers, Marc

GregK

Since 21 Jan 2010
14 Posts
Comox, BC

PostWed Mar 01, 17 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

bobgatpdx wrote:
What do you use to do the annealing?

Combination of radiant & low-velocity forced convective heating followed by ambient air cooling.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Mar 02, 17 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Got these additional helpful tips from the Airtime folks:

Yes, you can do it yourself and should learn...the pic shows the bladder already exposed... get an oversize book (flat surface) and take a couple little pieces of scotch tape...put the cut edges back as close to original and overlap the rip on both sides just enough to hold them in place... take a strip of tear aid..7" long (1" overlap on each end) and 2" wide.... polish the whole area well (before you put the scotch tape down) with rubbing alcohol..preferably 99% (we have 99% pads if you need some and 2" tear aid if you need that), then carefully cover the entire rip with the tear aid...make sure you work from center to edges and work out any and all bubbles and do not let any wrinkles form... sometimes an extra pair of hands helps if one person lays the tear aid down and another hand puts pressure on from center out until is patch is completely flat... you generally have one attempt to get it right so be careful as you lay it down... once patch is applied correctly, you can re seat the bladder in the sleeve of the kite and 'slowly' fill with air.... watch the area that you worked on as it fills very slowly.. if you see a void or soft spot you might have a twist... a twist is only damaging if you continue to inflate to full flying pressure... if you see a soft spot... stop immediately and deflate completely and re seat the bladder... a healthy dose of baby powder or talc in the whole area will reduce any friction and help the bladder find its happy place..... if you have any questions or need supplies.. please let us know....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: