Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

San Carlos Sonora, MX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Dec 24, 16 3:35 pm    San Carlos Sonora, MX Reply with quote

San Carlos is about a 6 hour drive south of Phoenix. I stop in a San Carlos in April... but the best winds are in January & February with the same motor that drives La Ventana and Los Barriles. The launch is at beach called La Manga. It's beyond the main drag in SC and over a small hill. You drive through a small gate where I guy might ask for a peso... It's a great place. Warm, sunny, and some of the friendliest people of anywhere. Take your 12 & 9
Great lodging of any price range everywhere. San Carlos is maybe one of the most "gringo-ised" Mexican town I've ever been in. Prices are maybe %15 less than living around Hood River.... more than most areas of Mexico IMHO.
In this image, the upper bay is where i go for swell and surfy time, the lower bay in front of the hotels and restaurants is for flats.

letsflykites

Since 11 Mar 2015
13 Posts

PostSat Dec 24, 16 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

Too crowded...don't come here.

What a typical wind session looks like in the "Kiddie Pool" in San Carlos. by letsridebikes.ca, on Flickr

letsflykites

Since 11 Mar 2015
13 Posts

PostSat Dec 24, 16 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

Don't come to kite, or to enjoy the sunset either. It's horrible.

20141117-DSC05248 by letsridebikes.ca, on Flickr

butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostSun Dec 25, 16 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

What would you estimate the number of kiteable days would be for the month of January ? Is it as windy as many days as La Ventana ?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Dec 25, 16 6:37 pm     Reply with quote

In this map image route 15 is the highway down from Nogales/Phoenix. It's a toll road that is very well maintained and mostly very fast. The Federales often pass me at 80+ and just wave.
The arrow in the second image points to a path that looks like a dirt road, it has the sign for the "Salsa Club". Follow this 1/4 to the launch.

butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostSun Dec 25, 16 6:55 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you for the great maps , but I'm more concerned about the amount of wind it gets . Can you please share any info on the amount of kiteable days .
Thank you , Butch

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Dec 25, 16 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

butch simones wrote:
Thank you for the great maps , but I'm more concerned about the amount of wind it gets . Can you please share any info on the amount of kiteable days .
Thank you , Butch

Looking for the answer to your question. Waiting for a response from my friend there. I always have been lucky, but then... I'm foiling so I sometimes have a blast when all others went home. More info coming...

Oh, and here's a wind report site from a local kiter there:
http://kiteboard-mexico.blogspot.com/

letsflykites

Since 11 Mar 2015
13 Posts

PostMon Dec 26, 16 3:49 am     Reply with quote

I haven't kited in LV, but I would say that on average there are 3-4 days of wind every week. I've got friends who came down for Christmas break and in the last week we have been out on the water 7 of the last 9 days. Check out "Soggy Peso" on Windguru. Whenever the wind is blowing WNW and more than 12 knots it's generally about 5 knots stronger and good to go. So right now when I look at the wind forecast for here in SC, we will probably get out Mon-Tue-Wed. By comparison, the wind in LV looks unkiteable (based on 10m kite) this week? Could be the storm that's brewing..

One difference to LV is that the water temp is cool, probably 60F or so right now. Daytime temperatures are in the high 60s also. Most people are in 3/2 or 4/3 wetsuits. The Mexicans are in 5/4!!

After a hard night at work, Santa even came to San Carlos yesterday to let loose a little. Sorry, can't get the pic to embed.

15676436_10209982237584396_3503944413104440959_o.jpg 

butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostMon Dec 26, 16 9:50 am     Reply with quote

Thank you both so much for all the great info ! We are from New Hampshire and spend most of our winters in SPI , Texas . Last year we spent 3 months in La Ventana and loved the town and all the people and the fact that it was windy quite often , but very crowded on the water . This January we are going to El Cuyo , Mx. We are actually looking at San Carlos for next winter . As usual we are all looking for the perfect kiting spot .
Thanks again , Butch Simones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: