Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foilmount - turns any board into a foilboard
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Dec 19, 16 8:13 am    Foilmount - turns any board into a foilboard Reply with quote

This is a killer new product.
Sticks on uses super strong 3M adhesive.
No drilling, no fiberglass, no epoxy required.
- Bob

https://foilmount.com/

FoilMount_package_standard_1024x1024.jpg 

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Dec 19, 16 9:56 am     Reply with quote

I love the idea. I just don't think it would work. Adhesive only seems like a setup to lose your foil. But I hope I'm wrong because it'd be an easy adaption for old boards collecting dust.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 19, 16 10:05 am     Reply with quote

caps wrote:
I love the idea. I just don't think it would work. Adhesive only seems like a setup to lose your foil. But I hope I'm wrong because it'd be an easy adaption for old boards collecting dust.

The 3M adhesive is bomber.
I've used it to attach solar panels to the roof of my van and also to attach foot strap inserts on my kite surfboard.
If it's done properly - it's bomber.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Dec 19, 16 10:12 am     Reply with quote

Seems like a great idea. I wonder though why it doesn't have a cut out in the middle of the tracks for removing the T-nut?

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Dec 19, 16 11:15 am     Reply with quote

Hmmm, still would have a hard time trusting a carbon mast to it. I'm a fan for the stick on foot strap inserts but I have had them fail after a long time and this would be way more stress.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostMon Dec 19, 16 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Hmmm, still would have a hard time trusting a carbon mast to it. I'm a fan for the stick on foot strap inserts but I have had them fail after a long time and this would be way more stress.

agreed. mechanical fasteners only when it matters.

maybe one could tether the base to the board leash pin thingy that most surf boards have. the tether would only drag before lift off. that would give me a little more piece of mind, seeing as the foil and mast are usually more expensive than the board.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostMon Dec 19, 16 11:48 am     Reply with quote

i think those guys who are jumping with foils would destroy this product. makes me wonder how long it would last with foot straps. if the adhesive didn't fail, the board would delam.

strapless riding, you can't stress the foil to board attachment to much, so i'd guess it would last a lot longer.

Chipotle

Since 26 Mar 2011
70 Posts

PostMon Dec 19, 16 1:04 pm    adhesive isn't the problem Reply with quote

I actually wouldn't be too worried about an adhesive failure. That 3M VHB product is "bomber," and with so much surface area, it will stay stuck. Just try removing your GoPro or Woo mount, and then imagine 10x the bonded surface. Well prepped surfaces and good adhesives can be stronger than base materials.

The problem is this thing is made out of plastic! the T-nuts will eventually tear through those slots. The material is subject to moisture, UV damage, and crazy dynamic and fatigue loads. Maybe if they backed it up with an steel plate or something, it would have a chance. But not neat plastic.

And I'm not going to comment on the price.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostMon Dec 19, 16 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

from their site....

We have done a lot of testing on and off the water and the FoilMount will NOT come off the board under extreme stress if it is installed properly. When you run a normal hydrofoil board into an object at full speed the tracks will actually pull out of the board or just break the board completely. The FoilMount is specifically designed so that the tracks will actually break one at a time during catastrophic failure so that no damage will come to your board. The FoilMount can then be professionally removed and a new one installed. This is considerably cheaper than a whole new board.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Dec 19, 16 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Seems like a great idea. I wonder though why it doesn't have a cut out in the middle of the tracks for removing the T-nut's'?

What about using Deez Nuts?! Laughing Razz

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4rk8p_deeez-nuuuts-dr-dre-the-chronic_music

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 19, 16 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

We need Tak on this product for flight testing.
Damn, this would've saved me a week of itching:

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 19, 16 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

Oh.... and one more observation:
When I simply drilled and mounted the LF mast to the North Whip in the photo, I took it out for a spin and the torque was bending the board pretty serious. It's then that I came home and plunge routered the strips of oak in for strength.
This plate sounds great, but it seems you'd need a board constructed of something other than EPS.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Dec 19, 16 6:31 pm     Reply with quote

Check out the video of them doing the install and using it. Looks pretty darn robust to me. That 3M VHB adhesive is amazing and there's a good amount of surface area.

As far as plastic being tough enough - putting some glass in ABS makes it wicked strong.

I'm not saying it will never fail, but certainly worth a try!
I'm going to try this on a SUP. Will let you know how it goes.
- Bob

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Dec 19, 16 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:
from their site....The FoilMount is specifically designed so that the tracks will actually break one at a time during catastrophic failure so that no damage will come to your board. The FoilMount can then be professionally removed and a new one installed. This is considerably cheaper than a whole new board.

Hmmm. I think I'd rather destroy the board and have the foil still hanging on to some part of the ruined board--and floating. This is considerably cheaper than a whole new foil.

I assumed this was aluminum? Make something like this out of aluminum, add countersunk holes to bolt it to your board, add a slot for removing the t-nuts. Stringy!

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
106 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue Dec 20, 16 8:55 am     Reply with quote

I can imagine this thing being plenty strong including the connection to the board. I'll probably put one on the next board I make but it seems a little expensive. I would've guessed $59 not $159.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 20, 16 11:30 am     Reply with quote

I'm skeptical but what do I know. I will say that I don't even trust using those adhesive back mounts for my gopro.
I say we get one and have takashima give it a go.
I know he's a beginner and all, but I've also seen him do shit to foils that are practically impossible.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Dec 21, 16 9:14 pm     Reply with quote

Check out their latest video about the strength of the mounting system. Looks pretty darn tough.
- Bob

https://youtu.be/b4j6ditXEOQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: