Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Marking gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
esommer

Since 17 Aug 2016
64 Posts
PDX

CGKA Member

PostSun Dec 18, 16 9:39 pm    Marking gear Reply with quote

Hi all - Looking for your recommendations on the best way to mark gear (boards, bars, and bags) so someone doesn't accidentally run off with my gear while we're down in LV (or can return my board if/when I lose it Embarassed ). Thanks!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 19, 16 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Use a sharpie permanent marker - name, cell phone #, and email address.
Use it on your board, kites, bars, and pump,
It will wear off eventually but will last for the duration of your trip.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 19, 16 8:31 am     Reply with quote

Sharpie Extreme

Sharpie Extreme permanent markers have high-contrast ink that resists fading when exposed to harsh UV rays, rain, snow, and even mud. Great for outdoor gear, sports equipment, backpacks and water bottles, Sharpie Extreme delivers bold color and can be used on most surfaces, including plastic, glass and wood.

http://www.sharpie.com/en-US/sharpie-extreme-sp-03857

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostMon Dec 19, 16 8:36 am     Reply with quote

The ol sharpie solution...E for effort! Unfortunatly it will wear off and can be erased....hard to mark a kite effectively, but on a board, you can permanently label it very easily during the lamination process...

Keep an eye on that gear

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Dec 19, 16 10:02 am     Reply with quote

I use a label marker with waterproof labels. They don't wear off and you can remove them easily when it's time to sell. Yep, the thieves can remove them too, but I don't figure they'll return stuff they steal anyways. Marking is so the honest people--most people--can return your property. Kites I take pictures of and record the serial number.

If it a special board that you'll never sell I'd have your name & number artistically airbrushed on and clear coated over.

Bennett

Since 26 Sep 2014
16 Posts
Portland

PostMon Dec 19, 16 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

I used black nail polish to write on the top of my board. Its lasted 3 years without a chip!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Dec 19, 16 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

Mark your gear so another kiter does not have to steal it from someone intent on stealing it just because it did not have someone's name on it.

I rescued a Cabrinha surfboard from 3-mile 2 years ago. I was at Rufus, and another kiter that was just at 3-mile came by and told me that some fisherman was going to keep a board left there. Since none of the remaining kiters in his group could claim it as theirs, or knew whose it was, the fisherman said they were going to keep it. Upon hearing that, I cooked up a ruse where I would go out there and look around the bushes and see if the fisherman spoke up. They did (to their honesty credit), and 1.5 hours round trip driving I had the board. Luckily the owner posted here about it and it made it back into their hands.

But think about if the owner would have shown up just after I did and I was saying the board was mine. I would have looked like the thief. But it was worth the risk to get some idiot's board back and keep it out of the hands of someone with no claim to it.

Mark your stuff so would be rescuers can have an easier time while attempting to do a good deed.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostMon Dec 19, 16 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

label maker. i make a long label, and fold it on itself to have my name on the oh shit handle rings, and rings on my harness. they don't fade. not theft proof, but i'm doing it for the times when i leave something at the site.

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostMon Dec 19, 16 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

Hit a sign shop and have them make a sticker with ur info out of reflective vinyl, that stuff is tough as hell and a royal pain in the ass to remove once applied and been on for a little while. and depending on size you can get a bunch plotted out on a strip that will only cost u like $8 and you get like five 3.5 x 2 stickers (roughly), depending on the shop of course.

esommer

Since 17 Aug 2016
64 Posts
PDX

CGKA Member

PostTue Dec 20, 16 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks all!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: