Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkite Set up, Launching and Landing Tips needed
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Dec 21, 16 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

I don't know where you will be snowkiting BUT I can tell you that when it's near freezing with or without windchill I make sure to close the dump valve while the kite is warm. I've seen it too many times people struggling with a frozen valve and break or crack them.

I snowkite with Ozone foils and Ocean Rodeo inflatables. The terrain, weather and duration of my session (hours or days) determines which kites I bring.

To each their own when it comes to kite choice. Knowing all you can about the equipment and how it flies can save a session and your life. I'm a big fan of reverse launching in medium to light winds with both foils and inflatables.

This gets me to thinking back a few years ago when we had to rescue Yuri Klaver of lone wolf adventures at our facility in the Badami Oilfield. We got a call there was a guy in a kayak with frost bite. Little did we know...

While prepared and quite the adventurer he got caught in some brutal weather, we flew him back to Anchorage for medical treatment - he returned though and marched (uh snowkited) on.

Here is part 1 of 5 of the adventure.

Link

Sorry for the tangent... it's dark and cold here in Deadhorse and I'm rambling...

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: