Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice for a Women Buying a Harness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
rascully

Since 17 Dec 2016
2 Posts

PostSat Dec 17, 16 6:45 pm    Advice for a Women Buying a Harness Reply with quote

I have been kiting for 3 years with a $30 harness and it has come time to upgrade. I want a waist harness, but I am concerned about the harness riding up.

I am a female, is there any actual design difference between men's and women's harnesses? Pink is not a design difference and smaller is not useful to me because I am 6". I would like to know if there is a design difference to accommodate for the differences in shapes between men and women ?

Couple other questions:
How do you size a harness ?
What is the feedback on Dakine harness?
What is a good harness for both water and snow kitting?

Thanks in advance!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Dec 18, 16 9:10 am     Reply with quote

I'm not an expert but I don't think there is much you can design into a waist harness to keep it from riding up. I find I get less ride up at the end of the summer, when my beer belly finally burns off. I crank the thing as tight as I can before heading out and try to keep the pull of the kite more perpendicular to my body.

How do you size a harness?

A. When you tighten down all the way with no suit on, it should only be 1/2 to 3/4 as tight as the harness can go. The length of bar plays into it too.

A. Maybe the oldest name in harnesses? Can't go wrong.

A. Any water harness will work, but a snow kite specific harness is so nice, especially on skis cause you tend to be more vertical.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Dec 18, 16 11:56 am    Re: Advice for a Women Buying a Harness Reply with quote

rascully wrote:
I have been kiting for 3 years with a $30 harness and it has come time to upgrade. I want a waist harness, but I am concerned about the harness riding up.

I am a female, is there any actual design difference between men's and women's harnesses? Pink is not a design difference and smaller is not useful to me because I am 6". I would like to know if there is a design difference to accommodate for the differences in shapes between men and women ?

Couple other questions:
How do you size a harness ?

Thanks in advance!

HOW, you have got to be the smallest human on earth being 6 inches tall:twisted: (typo)

I ride in the Pacific ocean mainly and I don't like to be cold at all. So I size my harness with my 5/4 on my body.

Lots of good brands out there with respect to harnesses.

A seat harness would stop any riding up on your torso and they work just fine for snowkiting (not that I've done a lot of snowkiting). I don't use a seat harness for water kiting, unless I forget my water kiting harness or there is a breakdown with it.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun Dec 18, 16 12:04 pm    Dakine Chameleon Reply with quote

Look at the Dakine Chameleon which is a waist with removeable leg straps/seat. I love mine for boosting and it keeps the hook low. The seat portion is very easy to remove and add. Around $125 with hook

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostSun Dec 18, 16 4:14 pm     Reply with quote

This is jakavage's wife....just ending my 5th year kiting. Not really kiting until my 3rd year (slow learner).I had a Dakine harness which was not that comfortable. Got an ION seat harness a year ago and LOVE it. Very adjustable, does not ride up, lots of padding. More money, but worth every penny.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 19, 16 5:49 am     Reply with quote

my wife has a ride engine (custom) harness and it is the first non-seat harness she was able to wear comfortably. It does not ride up for her.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 19, 16 7:54 am     Reply with quote

Last edited by ldhr on Mon Dec 19, 16 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostMon Dec 19, 16 9:29 am     Reply with quote

The women's harness are supposed to be cut just a bit different and are a little smaller usually. My hubby and I have shared harness over the years if we forget our own so mens vs womens isn't a huge deal but it was pretty funny to see him wear my pink harness.

I have a Ride Engine and I really love it. It's kind of $$$ but fits me well. I think the best thing to do is go and try on a bunch and just pick the one that fits your body well. I know lots of girls that ride dakine and like them they just didn't feet me well. I used to ride pro limit harness they were great too.

Snowkiting just use same harness. You can buy snow clothes ment to go around harness so you can wear them inside but I just always put them on out side of coat and never had a problem

Joshiebaby

Since 14 Oct 2007
569 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostTue Dec 20, 16 7:54 am     Reply with quote

Yes, Women's harnesses are different from mens. Cut differently. Had a LF harness I bought for my GF that didn't fit her at all and then went and got a Mystic and she loves it.

So yes, make sure you are buying a female harness and I don't think that the brand matters--just go to a local shop and try a bunch out. Kinda kills you if you were looking to go into the market for a used one but this is perhaps the most important part of the setup. Good luck!

kitenomad

Since 09 Aug 2016
10 Posts

PostThu Dec 22, 16 7:48 am     Reply with quote

jaksavage wrote:
This is jakavage's wife....just ending my 5th year kiting. Not really kiting until my 3rd year (slow learner).I had a Dakine harness which was not that comfortable. Got an ION seat harness a year ago and LOVE it. Very adjustable, does not ride up, lots of padding. More money, but worth every penny.

ION waist harness are also comfy as well as Mystic. I perosnally use Mystic warrior and find it the best so far. I had Pat Love before, which I didnt like and ION that was good. But when Im buying Im buying Mystic againg.

Iv heard bad things about Dakine, like tearing appart during jumps, but thats just "beach talk" Smile

Just buy sam size as your 30dolla harness you won't miss. If your not sure, go to local shop and ask arround, but youll get 100 more opinions and it will confuse you.

Select your riding style, select what you want out of harness ( for me its back support and comfort) and go for it. I bought from surf-store EU..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: