Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

La Ventana Beginners Guide
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 16, 16 11:47 am    La Ventana Beginners Guide Reply with quote

The newest installment of my La Ventana Guide. Enjoy

Anthony

LVGuide.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LVGuide.pdf
 Filesize:  351.72 KB
 Downloaded:  2260 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Dec 16, 16 6:16 pm     Reply with quote

Great write up

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSat Dec 17, 16 8:52 am    More info Reply with quote

Los Banditos does not have the ATM up and running yet at their new location.

The AT&T GoPhone plans include data and text in Mexico.
$60 a month ($55 with auto pay) IS the complete cost including taxes and fees. 8gb high speed data per month, unlimited but reduced speeds thereafter, unlimited text and calls with data rollover.

www.freeridekiting.com

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSat Dec 17, 16 9:08 am     Reply with quote

Something worth noting.. While TSA PreCheck is "random" I can tell you it has always been on my tickets the last four years. I fly every three weeks to and from work and all around the country. I have well over a hundred consecutive commercial flights with precheck status.

www.freeridekiting.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Dec 17, 16 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

ErraticAKn wrote:
Something worth noting.. While TSA PreCheck is "random" I can tell you it has always been on my tickets the last four years. I fly every three weeks to and from work and all around the country. I have well over a hundred consecutive commercial flights with precheck status.

TSA Pre Check is a program, it is not random. There are several different ways of becoming a "Trusted Traveler". The most common method of getting TSA Pre these days is getting Global Entry, although there are several programs that qualify you. What you think is random is just whether or not your airline has your program ID number. If you go to the airline's webpage you can enter your trusted traveled ID in your trip information. If you have Global Entry that number is your Global Entry ID#. Many airlines will keep that ID, especially if you belong to the mileage program. Even flying domestic, Global Entry will get you TSA Pre every time you fly, IF your airline has your Trusted Traveler ID.

If you fly even occasionally, get Global Entry, join the mileage program of any airline you fly, and enter your Trusted Traveler ID in your frequent flier profile.

DO NOT use a private ATM machine in Mexico, China, or most third world countries. Using one at a bank or an airport inside security is reasonably safe. There is a VERY high rate of identity theft at private ATMs. Consider setting up an account for foreign travel and limiting the balance in that account to what you are willing to lose. Keep a second account as an emergency back up in case your limited account is hacked and emptied. Be aware that while many banks will reimburse you eventually for foreign ATM identity theft, it will take time and won't happen till you get home. ATM cards do not offer the same legal protection that credit cards do. So it is possible that you will not ever be reimbursed losses due to ATM identity theft. After any foreign travel, monitor your accounts closely for un-authorized use. This paragraph is based on information given to me by our corporate security.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Dec 18, 16 7:27 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:

DO NOT use a private ATM machine in Mexico, China, or most third world countries. Using one at a bank or an airport inside security is reasonably safe. There is a VERY high rate of identity theft at private ATMs. Consider setting up an account for foreign travel and limiting the balance in that account to what you are willing to lose. Keep a second account as an emergency back up in case your limited account is hacked and emptied. Be aware that while many banks will reimburse you eventually for foreign ATM identity theft, it will take time and won't happen till you get home. ATM cards do not offer the same legal protection that credit cards do. So it is possible that you will not ever be reimbursed losses due to ATM identity theft. After any foreign travel, monitor your accounts closely for un-authorized use. This paragraph is based on information given to me by our corporate security.

Great advice. We are retired, and this winter is my 6th year of 5 months in Mexico. I always only use ATMs which are actually in the bank establishments. No quick mart kiosks. I also have a "sand-boxed" account that is only for my travel money. This keeps all troubles clear of any primary accounts. I also check my bank activity online every day. And also notify my bank about my travel dates. Do not use a Credit or Debit card for Gas or other purchases.

The only exception to the ATM machine rule is in La Ventana, where this is no bank. The only kiosks are at Los Banditos, and a second one near the Pemex?

Oh, if you can stand their uber right-wing politics.... I use a Charles Schwabb account for all my foreign money needs as they have zero ATM or foreign transaction fees.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Dec 22, 16 3:56 pm     Reply with quote

Can you be clearer on the insurance for the car. You say you have to get the 3rd party liablility. But then you say not to get the primary insurance?
You need to get your Visa card's terms for mexican travel?

Thanks

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Dec 22, 16 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

You cannot decline the liability insurance. In theory you can decline the comprehensive, but some rental agencies simply will not rent to you if you decline. Some CC's wil cover your comprehensive and it's important that you call and check, then print out the agreement and bring it with you.

When you book a car for Mexico on line the price never includes the comprehensive insurance, and a few other surprises which easily doubles your cost.

It's not an exact science, to say the least.

Eric

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Dec 22, 16 10:15 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
What you think is random is just whether or not your airline has your program ID number.

I don't think it's random for me, It can be random for people who do not have precheck status though - TSA does move people over to the precheck line on occasion under the managed inclusion policy they have.

Global Entry is the way to go.

www.freeridekiting.com

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 23, 16 6:32 am     Reply with quote

The only ATM is at Club Cerralvo right now, with high fees. I always stop at Barrilles on the way to LV.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri Dec 23, 16 7:20 am     Reply with quote

FYI - When I make runs to Los Barriles or La Paz I post on the View a head of time for people that want me to get Pesos for them or to tag along. I've seen others post similar. It's worth subscribing to if you are going down or already there.

Banditos does not have internet setup yet at the new location, that is how the ATMs there were communicating. You can still watch hockey! (and that ridiculous football sport as long as you're a Seahawks fan. Wink (punch - jab)

www.freeridekiting.com

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Dec 23, 16 9:56 am     Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
Can you be clearer on the insurance for the car. You say you have to get the 3rd party liablility. But then you say not to get the primary insurance?
You need to get your Visa card's terms for mexican travel?

Thanks

If you are renting a vehicle I believe American Express offers the best vehicle insurance plan for rentals in Mexico.

It is a two step process:
1) Acquire an American Express card
2) Once you have a card enroll in their "Premium Car Rental Protection program".

Details of the program can be seen here:

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do?extlink=ps-cardserv-stA4agF2N_dc&pcrid=42053113385&pmt=b&kw=+american%20+express%20+car%20+insurance&gclid=CjwKEAjw-JqgBRCAyqjoic27nlQSJABBTpFEhSHtDOpWXHM600jsU8Hu_pNvlE_v6fsp0K9vobuEYhoCDIzw_wcB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are driving your own vehicle.

1) You may have difficulties if you don't own your vehicle outright (i.e. you have a car loan)
2) Check out https://www.bajabound.com/

I have used them multiple times. Online process is easy and price competitive. You instantly receive your insurance policy (downloadable pdf) for the dates selected. Take care of your insurance before you leave home so you can print out two copies of your policy. Keep one in your vehicle and the other with your passport.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri Dec 23, 16 10:30 am     Reply with quote

+1 on bajabound

Bought motorcycle insurance online, downloaded and printed the night before. Good rates, instant delivery and good reputation.

www.freeridekiting.com

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Dec 23, 16 10:44 am     Reply with quote

Additional information if renting a vehicle.

I have used dollar rental out of SJD.

I booked my rental online and prepaid. When I arrived at the rental office they said they could not honor the rental because my rental period was longer than 30 days. They said their computers would not allow it (even though I had already booked it and pre-paid online).

We resolved the issue by shortening my rental period to 30 days. I was required to come back in and re-rent for the additional period of my stay (which wasn't really an issue as I had to drop my wife off at the airport anyway). The rental company had issues matching the rate I had already booked online. I had to fight hard to maintain the same rates... They kept attempting to increase my rates. When I came in the 2nd time (after my 30 day period) they could not match my rates. We finally resolved the difference by my renting a smaller vehicle (which happened to work out well as my surfboard actually fit inside the smaller vehicle).

Lessons learned:
Book your rental car online before arriving. If I hadn't done this I would have ended up paying considerably more. By booking online I was able to compare against all the other rental companies and acquire a spanking good deal.

Lesson learned two:
If staying longer than 30 days pre-book online in two separate segments.

Food for thought:
It might make sense to do a one way rental of a larger vehicle to La Paz. This would allow you to haul all your luggage to your house. The next day day drive to La Paz where you can rent a smaller vehicle for your stay. I believe rental rates in La Paz are lower than SJD. The day before you leave drop your small vehicle off at La Paz and rent a large vehicle one way to SJD.

EDIT
A couple more things
The first argument presented to me when I stated my online rates I had already purchased at was that the online travel companies sometimes mess things up and that they didn't have to honor their screwups. I was able to counter that argument pretty easily as I had purchased directly through Dollar (not through a 3rd party like expedia etc.)

Also, if things appear not to be moving in a positive direction one option might be to take out your cell phone and ask your representative if they mind if you film this for future documentation.

End of EDIT

Last edited by bigjohn on Fri Dec 23, 16 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 23, 16 11:45 am     Reply with quote

Here is something, I did not post on the Guide. If you are renting a vehicle for a longer time or several times that year, there are special insurance policies that you can get in the USA for rental cars in Mexico. I was told the cost is $250- $300 per year. I have through some extensive web searches found two places that do that. The car rental companies will try to say it is not valid, but it is. Please somebody test that one for me and post the results.

Here are two map extras / info that will help a little.
http://www.gotbaja.mx/descargar-mapas/

LVComguide15.pdf
 Description:
Commercial Guide for the La Ventana

Download
 Filename:  LVComguide15.pdf
 Filesize:  1.83 MB
 Downloaded:  4028 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 23, 16 7:34 pm    Verizon Reply with quote

Verizon has Canada and Mexico coverage now included with most plans as of around 4 months ago

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Dec 24, 16 5:54 am    Re: Verizon Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
Verizon has Canada and Mexico coverage now included with most plans as of around 4 months ago

For my longer 5 month stays in Mexico I would normally "suspend" my Verizon contract, claiming the device was lost or something. This reduced a $97 bill to maybe $16. In 2016 Verizon has apparently changed their rules so I can only suspend once every 12 months. So, return from Mx in late April? Cannot suspend until late April a year later. Grrrrr

While in Mexico I would use a shitty little Telcel $13 burner phone with a prepaid $100p ($5USD) 23 day unlimited SIM card. But now since it seems the Verizon bills are unavoidable I might look into MacGruber's plan. Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: