Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite snowboard edge ?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 07, 16 3:57 pm    Kite snowboard edge ? Reply with quote

Is there a need for a sharp edge on a snowboard used for kiting? I'm not talking about rounded edges but just dulled so as not to wear through straps or cut kite lines or other gear. I never snowboarded enough to tune my own gear.
I was thinking of using a d/a sander to smooth the edge. Any thoughts?

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Dec 07, 16 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

Just ride it the way you like it for the mountain. If it's powder, there is no different. If it's hard pack, you will need your edges.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 07, 16 4:14 pm    2 cents Reply with quote

Depends heavily on whether you're purely in powder (no edges needed) or not. Typically, with snowkiting, the snow will be variable with some wind crusting, so I personally want edges.

Also, in 3 years of (kook) snowkiting I've never gotten near lines or gear. If you think about it, it's pretty darn hard to ride into your lines or kite (like I said, I learned in Hood River 2011 and am new to snowkiting and still never had even a close call that I can think of).

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Dec 07, 16 6:01 pm    Re: Kite snowboard edge ? Reply with quote

Occupied Columbia wrote:

I was thinking of using a d/a sander to smooth the edge. Any thoughts?

Shocked Admittedly it's been a long time since I tuned skis, but the proper tools will make a HUGE difference in how skis handle. I'm guessing snow boards are the same. Try 2nd wind or other local shops for tools and tuning advice.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 07, 16 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

My thought on this is you don't need an efficient snowboard to snowkite. I've always used a regular snowboard and I haven't had my lines cut but I have had my lines run over by a nameless snowkiter... twice. (It wasn't JohnB)
As far as not being able to run over my own lines. Don't put anything past me.
mostly I'm looking at the straps i'm using to tie down the gear. The board rattles and cuts the straps.
I'm just thinking like how dull is too dull. I guess i'll just try it and see.

snowbike with board.jpg 

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Dec 07, 16 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

If you are trying to relaunch especially in light wind and you are on your back with your head pointing down hill with your Kite above you your lines will likey be in contact with the edge of the board. Probably not a problem with skis.

In this position you need to be carefully when pulling steering lines to rock the kite to relaunch. You can essentially saw through your lines. I was in this position several times yesterday and made sure my likes did not touch the board edge .

I have had my lines run over by kiters several times and it's never been a problem. If the lines are on ice it may be a problem but on softer snow it doesn't seem to be a problem.....but it's not cool.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 07, 16 10:36 pm     Reply with quote

I see you got the "kite highmark" John. Maybe next year I'll join you.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Dec 08, 16 7:17 am     Reply with quote

Wish I was up at baldy too! But I am getting close to bailing on work and hitting Skyline. It looks like the forecast may be too snowy for a climb up there before Wednesday. Maybe this could be a back to back year for Strawberry/Skyline to be epic. The base (even at the top of Bosco) should be nearing perfect right after this storm.

EDGES..........

Sharp edges are very important on the ski hill. Those sharp edges allow you to grip on "snowboard wipe". This is the snow condition where the base has been exposed, smoothed out, and re-iced post wax contact. This forms a hard surface with some softness .5-1.5cm down. There is usually a top layer of snow getting moved around that is not bonded to this hard surface and thus the snow on top just wipes off of this hard surface. Sharp edges help you cut into the softer stuff just below that surface layer. And without sharp edges, it is impossible to carve sidecut radius turns in this.

All of the above only exists on a tracked up ski hill. And usually you don't have to worry about this on your first ride down if you get there first thing in the morning. But your second run is inevitably on that stuff.

Kiters pretty much never get to kite on this stuff.

When snow kiting, it is virtually impossible to find these conditions unless you can actually find a spot to kite in bounds on a popular run. Honestly, I have never heard of that, just dreamed.

Our conditions are much different. We only kite on fresh snow, relatively speaking, compared to the ski hill. Even up at the bighorns right now, there will be zero "wax refrozen" runs that would warrant sharp edges. Given the distances required from kiter to kiter, and the low number of riders, the Big Horn meet will likely not produce more than a 5square meter area of this.

If it does not happen to a significant degree at a meet, you need not concern yourself with hill conditions happening anywhere your bike will take you into.

Your concern may be on snowmobile hard pack. In the years that my snowboards have degraded to the point where I cannot get a decent edge with a base grind, I have never wished for sharper edges than my beat to junk snowboards have even on snowmobile hardpack.

TOOL......

When you sharpen your edges to the point they will curl a bit of the top of your fingernail when you pull it across them, you will have a serrated edge. This may only be visible with a high power microscope, but it is there. A gummi stone is specifically meant to deal with this serration while not harming you edging capability. I would recommend a quick run over with a coarse gummi, then a few passes with a fine one. The resulting edge should feel sharp and possibly even curl a bit of fingernail, but it will have a hard time cutting nylon and especially Spectra/Dyneema.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 08, 16 8:14 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Matt. That's what I wanted to know.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Dec 08, 16 9:21 am     Reply with quote

Occupied Columbia wrote:
I see you got the "kite highmark" John. Maybe next year I'll join you.

I was nowhere near the hight mark. There were several kiters gliding from the top it was awesome to watch.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Dec 08, 16 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

Keep the pics of the Bighorn Snowkite Summit coming for those of us stuck with that four letter "w" (work) thing!

Nak wrote:

Shocked Admittedly it's been a long time since I tuned skis, but the proper tools will make a HUGE difference in how skis handle. I'm guessing snow boards are the same. Try 2nd wind or other local shops for tools and tuning advice.

Nak is right on skis and snowboards on the hill. It just seems that a kite makes up for tons of scrapes and dings in your edges and base.

I feel like:

Ski hill with a snowboard or skis alone - Tuning/edge/base condition is 40%-50% of the performance equation.

Kitesnowboarding - Tuning/edge/base condition is 2%-8% of the performance equation.

Meaning that you can have the perfect day snowkiting on a junk board (possibly skis but I am not a kiteski expert) and your enjoyment/capabilities will only be hindered by as low as 2%

Having junk skis or snowboard on a hill, and it will definetly detract significantly from your experience.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 08, 16 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

That was my thought was too. I never stress about loosing an edge while kiting. the kite pulls you right back up. I have definitely caught an edge that i wished would have slipped instead of spinning me out.

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostThu Dec 08, 16 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

Great photos! Can't wait to snowkite again.

Re: the edges thing. Razor sharp not necessary but yes, I think you should always have a good edge. Never know when you might need it.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Dec 08, 16 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="Matt V"]Keep the pics of the Bighorn Snowkite Summit coming for those of us stuck with that four letter "w" (work) thing!

I didn't get a lot of pictures today I was to busy kiting. It was pretty awesome today. I wish I would have got a picture of the hill side full of kites 15-20 ish but I was out early and only got a few pictures of the beginning and end.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Dec 08, 16 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

I did get some snowbiking in on the way and back.

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostThu Dec 08, 16 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

So cool to see bluebird when we're in a storm not too far west of there Very Happy

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 08, 16 11:01 pm     Reply with quote

Nice pics. was that a stuck? or were you giving a depth of snow perspective?
Her is my best stuck from Sunday. Going back to St Helens this Sunday. I might take kite gear this time.

10901.2.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: