Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

First time going to La Ventana - car rental or shuttle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSun Nov 27, 16 9:27 pm    First time going to La Ventana - car rental or shuttle? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm going to La Ventana end of December, going to be in Mexico for the first time and I was wondering if it's worth to rent a car to get from Cabo to La Ventana or is there a reliable shuttle service available (I'll be traveling with a quiver bag with boards/kites/etc.)?

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 28, 16 7:02 am    Re: First time going to La Ventana - car rental or shuttle? Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Hi, I'm going to La Ventana end of December, going to be in Mexico for the first time and I was wondering if it's worth to rent a car to get from Cabo to La Ventana or is there a reliable shuttle service available (I'll be traveling with a quiver bag with boards/kites/etc.)?
Forget the car rental - very expensive (especially the insurance) and a real hassle. Only need a car if you'll be touring around the south cape - otherwise don't need a car in LaV.

There are several shuttle services available. I highly recommend Samuel Lucero's shuttle service. He's a local guy and runs a very professional business. Here's his info:

Samuel Lucero - turissaven@hotmail.com 612-167-1550 Licensed/experienced/dependable .. comfortable/new/air conditioned van. I have been safely shuttling satisfied passengers for many years. I guarantee you will be pleased with my professional services. Please contact me for pricing.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Nov 28, 16 7:43 am     Reply with quote

It depends where you are staying. If you are in the heart of town or near Oscaritos 2 grocery stores you don't need a car. I use Samuel for shuttles $180 per van so get some shareriders. Also Roberto has a shuttle a little cheaper, limanchu2@gmail.com. You can go on the Ventana View and set up ride shares. Newsletter@theventanaview.com.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Nov 28, 16 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards shuttle as I'm not planning on doing much else than kite and relax at the beach during my stay. I got an airbnb close to Playa Central - I assume there's some grocery store nearby (google maps has little info outside of couple of restaurants in the area).

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 28, 16 11:00 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards shuttle as I'm not planning on doing much else than kite and relax at the beach during my stay. I got an airbnb close to Playa Central - I assume there's some grocery store nearby (google maps has little info outside of couple of restaurants in the area).

Don't bother with a rental car.
A few mini marts where you're staying but no real grocery stores within a mile or 2. Nearest is a mile North - towards El Sargento - easy walk in the morning with a small backpack.
Lot's of cantinas, taco stands, and restaurants within a few blocks. Sampling the local food is part of the experience and is almost cheaper than cooking your own store bought groceries.
Anything on the beach is twice as expensive as the shops across the street. Early morning walks on the beach or on the road are the best!
Shuttle drivers will stop at one of the supermarkets in Los Barriles on your way to LV.
Suggest you pack a couple of cloth type grocery bags - Mexican market use very small plastic bags and you end up with a dozen or more....

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Nov 28, 16 11:15 am     Reply with quote

I used our rental car every day. Getting to the mtn bike trails, hot springs, and to the authentic eats that were both cheap and delicious.

Got to waive the rip off insurance and take a letter from your credit card showing you have coverage (assuming you do). They'll still hold a large sum as deposit but just be really careful and it's all good.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Nov 28, 16 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

I liked having a car to drive around and check out places nearby.

So when me and my party returned the car before our flight, the gas station near the airport purposefully didn't fill up the car like we requested as I suspect there was a scam. The rental places charge an arm and a leg per gallon. So make sure you see them top off the tanks and or pay attention to how much they put in.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Nov 28, 16 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

Btw. is La Ventana a cash-only place or can you pay with card or take money out of an ATM somewhere?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 28, 16 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

USD are accepted everywhere--you won't get Mexican bank rate but close enough. CC at several places. ATM's at a few spots

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 28, 16 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
You can go on the Ventana View and set up ride shares. Newsletter@theventanaview.com.
To subscribe to The Ventana View: In any web browser, open www.theventanaview.com

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 28, 16 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
USD are accepted everywhere--you won't get Mexican bank rate but close enough. CC at several places. ATM's at a few spots
Highly recommend obtaining pesos at ATM. ATM at Club Cerralvo and Bandito's.

Also, if possible grab some pesos at bank ATM in Los Barriles on the trip from the airport.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Nov 28, 16 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

Car Rental is a pain, with their screwy insurance(rip off). Shuttles the last few times I was there. I find get Pesos in the US a lot easier with an ok rate through Bank of America. With the shuttle be sure they will stop a grocery store on the way to LV. Make a list and be fast in the store. The sun is going down and driving at night is bad! There is a Soriana(Like Safeway) 3 km south of the airport or the store in Los Barriles. Playa Central is about 4 km from the store in El Sargneto. If you have bicycle you are set. The ATM is Los Barriles is tricky place I have almost been ripped off at that atm. There was scam going on at that time. Look around you for people and check the machine!

This is what I wrote 2 years ago on LV.
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-34974.html&highlight=

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Nov 29, 16 12:53 am     Reply with quote

Plus one for Samuels shuttle. Him and his brother Beni are well known and respected locals.

When I do rent a car it's from Cactus Car Rental. Straight forward no hidden fees.

The ATM at the bank in LB was better on exchange than Banditos.

I liked having a rental just to explore the east cape. It's nice to get out and explore but it wasn't necessary.

www.freeridekiting.com

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 29, 16 6:47 am     Reply with quote

Anthony wrote:
Playa Central is about 4 km from the store in El Sargento. If you have bicycle you are set.
Yes, correcto - that would be Oscarito's. And there's Star Market - only about 1.5-2km north of Playa Central - smaller than Oscarito's and owned/operated by the same family.

Oh, and bring a large "sack"-style backpack for hauling groceries.

Agreed that using ATM at a bank is preferred - but of course no bank in LaV/ES.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: