Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Traveling with hardware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSun Nov 27, 16 8:39 pm    Traveling with hardware Reply with quote

I want to take my fins and hardware with me as a carry on to reduce weight in the baggage. (Keeping it below 50 lbs). Being that the fins can be sharp. Has any one had a problem with it going through TSA?

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Nov 29, 16 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

Been traveling carry on with dive weights lately
- discretion of the TSA agent if they have seen it before or not

Painters tape is my new favorite tool - might run it over the fins

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Nov 29, 16 9:41 pm     Reply with quote

I have brought fins as carrier on a few times and have never been hassled. I did have to explain what they were in JFK once but they were cool.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Dec 02, 16 8:28 am     Reply with quote

I would never take hardware (especially screwdrivers) with me as carry on.
Instead, I carry one of my kites as carry on, usually the most expensive / latest one.
The added benefit is that if your gear bag doesn't make it, at least you have you haven't lost completely everything of value.
A kite is about 8lbs and it can be folded pretty tight with your clothes in one kitebag.

My 2 cents.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Dec 04, 16 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

Coming home from SJD (La Ventanna) 2 years back I packed a couple of kite bars in my carry on bag. Thought I would save on weight in my baggage.

Didn't make it through security. Was told I would have to leave the bars. Luckily I had booked one leg of my trip first class. I ran down to the fast lane in first class, checked my bag and made it back to my flight with seconds to spare.

Lesson learned... Don't bring anything unusual through carry on you aren't willing to part with.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSun Dec 04, 16 7:49 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice. I decided to heed on the side of caution and stored the hardware in checked luggage. All three bags were searched by tsa. On a side note I used n Alaska air credit card will be saving $50 on each flight. Card fess are $75 per year. I am saving on this trip.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: