Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Need to Build a Remote Wind Sensor
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kgilmar

Since 31 Dec 2011
13 Posts
Kimberley, British Columbia

PostSun Jan 29, 17 12:00 am    wind meter Reply with quote

Hey all,

I am looking for a wireless wind meter that transmits information via cellular reception. Does anyone know of a system that would do this? The location that I am trying to monitor is about an hour drive and there is no real way of telling what the winds going to be like unless you take a drive out.

thanks,

Kyle

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jan 29, 17 7:09 am    Re: wind meter Reply with quote

kgilmar wrote:
Hey all,

I am looking for a wireless wind meter that transmits information via cellular reception. Does anyone know of a system that would do this? The location that I am trying to monitor is about an hour drive and there is no real way of telling what the winds going to be like unless you take a drive out.

thanks,

Kyle

there's this. requires a phone with headphone jack. I just got a i7 so it won't work very well Very Happy

http://www.weatherflow.com/a-wind-meter-for-your-smart-phone/

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostTue Jan 31, 17 10:32 am    Re: wind meter Reply with quote

kgilmar wrote:
... and there is no real way of telling what the winds going to be like unless you take a drive out.

as a weather geek, the new version of Windytv (now TV) is excellent.
https://www.windytv.com
https://community.windytv.com/topic/3413/windytv-10-0-is-here-what-s-inside

watch the 2 minute video to see how simple and versatile it is. really like my iKitesurf android widgets for live wind, but when i'm at the desk (which is a lot...) Windytv is a great planning tool.

however, NAM 5Km and GFS 0.5 are better forecast models than the default ECMWF, which is European model. Given the company is European, this would be expected. haven't seen a way to change the default yet. but it has so many forecast variables it teaches you to understand the 'bigger' weather patterns at play rather than totally rely on spot weather/wind meters. not that those aren't important readings, but could save you time and gas driving around to check the weather.

dude abides

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: