Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Mexico Property; Any Experience out there?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Nov 22, 16 6:26 am     Reply with quote

Well, me of the main advantages of owning is you get to leave all your stuff and when you get back down you spend two days opening the place and you are ready to go. If you are going to be here for months it is a good way to go.
Renting is readily available but you have to haul all your stuff back and forth every year. If you are going to be here a short time might be a better choice than spending time opening a place and fixing things that inevitably go sideways.
The in between option is to rent a place to stay and get a trailer to leave you stuff in while you are gone, so no hauling back and forth and no maintainance nonsense either.
Plus you get to try slightly different areas and can change neighbors if necessary.
How often and for how long are you actually going to be down here? Got to start there.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Nov 22, 16 10:23 am     Reply with quote

Initially, we'd be spending three or four weeks a year. When I retire in 7.5 years, we'd like to spend around 4 months a year in LB. The idea of buying now would be to use rental income to help pay for the place.

A big part of preferring LB is proximity to SJD airport and non-stop service to PDX with a reasonably short flight time. That makes bouncing back and forth often doable. I'm an airline employee, so flight cost would range between next to nothing and very cheap as long as we are able to be flexible on travel dates. Ideally we'd go down early November, come home for each of the holidays, and then probably come home twice a month after that. We'd stay till the Wx in PDX was preferable to LB.

I'm considering buying a lot and building later... Pro's would be I'd be able to pay cash for the lot and save the cash to build in about two years. That would avoid loan problems and 14% - 16% interest rates. I'd also avoid maintenance and burglary issues for a while. I'd be protected from land price increasing and limit my exposure in case relations with Mexico go south. Cons would be I've heard horror stories about building in Mexico... Shocked Also, no rental income until I finished building.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: