Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New to the area - off seasons spots?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Oct 23, 16 8:34 am     Reply with quote

tkaraszewski wrote:
The mention of boat access is interesting. I wonder if I can get into some interesting kite spots with a boat that will be relatively uncrowded. A 23' racing sailboat may not be the ideal kite launch platform, but I've got the boat.

Way back in the day when learning how to kite in '03 I would often day dream of the ideal learning sessions and conditions while on the windy shores of Rooster Rock.
The days of walking back up wind, going thru crowded sections of shore, gusty conditions of wind and lulls and or course the crowds on the waters close to shore. Being nuked out and having to wait for hours to see if things would change--basically jones'in for a session.

A fellow kiter that started just before me told me of a day that he was fortunate to be a part of.

So in the fall the waters of the Columbia are at its lowest of the year as the snow melt is at its lowest this time of year (yes, there might be other factors too). Columbia and Rooster Rock is tide affected by the Pacific. Can affect current speed and so kite size rigged. Will also affect the water levels of the boat launches up to Bonneville Dam. I have never launched there, but I only think it works in the Spring with high waters and snow melt. So a boat launched from 181st/Blue Lake boat launch as the Rooster Rock launches were too low to launch boats from the west end of the park. I don't know how and where they picked up most, but what I gathered is some were picked up just east/up river of the pylon. From there the boat headed up river probably 4 or 5 miles (not sure might be 7). There is a small island with a cove on the west end of the island (tail end of island and downwind of beach or rocky shore). I think it is a sand beach. I think you can see the island from the Multnomah Falls parking lot area as there is a pretty good clearing of trees along that part of the shore.

Any ways, if one has a boat, no one else around except the people you brought with you. Not sure of your experience level, but might not be the best to get to with a sailboat. I would think you would want a motor for kiting recue, downwinder ferry.

I would think there would be some calmer waters/maybe even flat water by the island. I have no idea if this was a trespassing event. Research it is my suggestion.

That said, Rooster is a cool place. It is the literally the west end/beginning point of the gorge. It probably experiences the strongest wind in the gorge with peeks nearing 100 mph. For sure over 100 on the cliffs tops of the walls right there (Crown Point).

That said, Rooster is a wind and current going in the same direction location and it is a gusty place and so you will experience times @ Rooster Rock (RR) when you are nuked out. Of course there sometimes will be someone will try it with a small twin tip and a very very small kite. When this happens we call it liquid smoke as the wind conditions the swell on the water so it looks like smoke on the water. You literally get sandblasted on the beach.

Anyways, RR can have east wind probably 10 out of 12 months of the year, but typically a August -April spot. It can be a very dangerous location if kiting at high water times as there are no beaches to launch and land, the water is exceptionally cold as well as the air temps.

It gets too cold for my hands these days. Latest I've kited at RR was Dec 8th on a very warm and dry fall water year as there was tons of beach. The earliest I've kited RR is about the first week in April. High water, took slog hike thru willow bushes to the lagoon. About 1 mile hike east. Sandy crest and clearing from bushes with shallows for rigging and launch. 80's with water in the high 40's. Sure I could of kited in Jan., but I usually follow the 100 point rule (need air temps and water temps to exceed 100). Cold hands for me makes it no fun. Some people do and your on your own if you brake down unless your lucky and or kiting with someone else. Time to hit the snow for me or get salty in the ocean.

First take/best takeout west of the pylon is the bluff viewing area about 1.5 mile I think west of the pylon on the beach/park at the mid point of the park. Beach west of the bluff just off I-84. One should take out east of that pylon as the sailing isn't very good and no takeout points till the viewpoint. The shipping channel also switches to the Oregon side west of the pylon and so the current gets faster there. Wind strength falls off some after the pylon for some reason. . .probably because of current speed heading west and the shadowed east winds flowing west (Rooster can be sailed on NE, to E, to SE winds). More North in it makes it harder to sail closer to the Washington shores, and more South in the east winds makes Upwind launches gustier and shadowed at times (ie more dangerous) and limits the amount of Oregon shore one can kite close to as it becomes more shadowed. You can rip up the endless shallow pools and flats by the BV launch and the East end of RR Sand Island.

When RR wind starts to fall off, it occurs very quickly and so best to wrap it up. Don't be greedy and go for those last tacks. Or if you must stay in the shallows of the Oregon shores/RR beach. I've been to Rooster when people were kiting on west winds on by the pylon and people riding east wind up at the east end of the Sand Island beach.

RR wind usually dies off in the afternoon.

RR is a hookup locale for dudes on the east end of the parking lot by the bathroom and down into the willow bush trails. They will look at you with big eyes when you initially drive in till they see your kiting gear and then will have a look of disappointment thereafter. They won't f#ck with you or your gear. But there can be theft at Rooster and Dalton Point with respect to car break-ins.

Purchase a yr State Visitors Pass as you'll pay for itself in no time you being new to the area and a kiter. It pays for itself in about 5 or 6 uses.

Default locations to ride on east wind when RR is nuked out are Stevenson/Home Valley and maybe even the newer launch in Cascades Locks, Bridal Veil, Dalton to RR, SSSS to RR, Corbett exit launch west of Rooster (need fall low water conditons), Washogal, Winter Parking in Vanc, Marine drive/broughton beach/Airport, The ponds.

Or winter conditions just go kite south/sw winds on the coast. That usually is storm wind and so better to be at the coast and "fireman ready" and ready to hit it when the wind presents itself vs traveling from distance and expecting to score right when you get there; odds are you'll be waiting for the proper window (wind, clearing, no rain, all of the above). Goofy foot lefty madness. There is also the airport foil crew that rides SW and mostly east winds in the winter time. They have ALL the gear to keep one warm. Use the search function above to research. Try NAK or Stringy or Gman for more info on this (many more).

Winter storms bring lots of debris into the ocean and so watch for branches, root balls, logs, trees, garbage in the ocean waves and especially in the mouths of rivers.

Regardless, it doesn't look like there's a *ton* going on in the winter, which is no surprise, and it looks like the water is below 50 from about December to March. Maybe I'll get in a day or two here before Thanksgiving, and then it looks like snowboarding season, or a long drive out to the coast, though for the amount of effort, I'd almost be better off going to Texas, Florida, or Mexico.

If I want to kite now t.o April I go to the coast. It isn't that bad. . . you don't need to go to Mex, Texas etc etc.

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it!
[b]

Addict

Since 26 Jun 2012
101 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Oct 25, 16 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

Anyone have good input for the best scenario for winter-coast kiting? I usually hit the ponds on a solid east wind, but have little luck otherwise. I've had a few good sessions north of Seaside where the Necanicum dumps out, but usually get skunked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: