Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Winter Coast Kiteboarding VHF Marine Radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 17, 16 5:54 am    Winter Coast Kiteboarding VHF Marine Radio Reply with quote

With winter kiting coming I have been thinking about safety.

Anyone consider a marine VHF radio?
Would a handheld VHF radio work if there was an accident at Fort Stevens? Would the CC receive a message?
Any thoughts? Or is this overkill?

Also, I believe in San Francisco the kite community uses some type of rescue beacon since going out to the golden gate is problematic.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Oct 17, 16 6:58 am     Reply with quote

The submersible handheld UHF / VHF Uniden or Icoms are great. I kept one on me at all times when running around in the Aleutians.

Also - it's dorky BUT WORKS - in the diving world we have "safety sausages" (safety tubes) that inflate easily and make you visible in the event you become an event yourself.

And lastly. not dorky but cumbersome - you can get travel / technical diving fins. Kiting out of Dutch Harbor we would clip them on the back of the harness. Makes a world of difference if you're really out there or battling current or dragging someone/something in.

www.freeridekiting.com

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Oct 17, 16 2:13 pm    Super dorky Reply with quote

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/marine/handhelds/m88/default.aspx

is a really nice unit. I have had one for probably 10 years and the battery is still holding strong!

Never have used it for kiting though.

If you want to really dork out this baby can be programmed to transmit on amateur frequencies as well!

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Oct 19, 16 8:50 am     Reply with quote

If you just want something as a last resort I would go with:

http://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/

Hand held VHF range isn't that great and when it's gnarly out there might not be any boats out to relay your distress call.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 19, 16 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:
If you just want something as a last resort I would go with:

http://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/

Hand held VHF range isn't that great and when it's gnarly out there might not be any boats out to relay your distress call.

+1. Sea dye and smoke would be good to carry with that. Trust me, nobody is going to see you waving your arms... The PLB would get rescue close, sea dye and smoke would get them right to you.

The Samsung Gear 2 smart watch has potential as well. Not there yet, because it isn't waterproof. It has it's own cell phone built in, no smartphone needed. It has amazingly good reception and the battery lasts for several days, a couple of hours if you're talking on it. (My wife has one.) Now, if they can just make the thing waterproof!

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Oct 19, 16 3:09 pm     Reply with quote

When doing long down winders or kiting sketch places alone I have a waterproof smart phone (Gzone Commando ) I carry. It was $150 off eBay. I just pop my Sim card in the phone and go.

It came in very handy when a Viento down winder went wrong and I needed to arrange a ride.

Cell coverage is no guaranteed but I have coverage more often than not.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 19, 16 6:52 pm    Water proof cell Reply with quote

Water proof cell phone probably saved this Dude.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/windsurfer-rescued-from-lake-michigan-by-coast-guard/1559765/

Something visible should really help too. Lots of cat burglars kiting these days now that neon is out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: