Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Partner wanted for downwinder project 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostSat Oct 15, 16 11:42 am    Partner wanted for downwinder project 2017 Reply with quote

Greetings! I tried recruiting a windsurfer partner for this project. But now, after receiving little interest in potential partners, I'm thinking I might have more in common/better luck with recruiting a kiter partner. I am also open to hearing from potential "guest" riders for each downwinder. If you want more perspective, check out the discussion on iwindsurf.com, NW forum. Please check this out and get back if interested. Thank you.

By the way, yes, I am a WINDSURFER.

Optimistic and somewhat daring (although not completely reckless) sailing buddy sought for downwinder mini-adventures and ongoing story feature, Summer 2017.

Requirements:
*Optimistic and positive attitude.
*Competence windsurfing DOWNWIND (i.e. doesn't crash often), often overpowered AND in control, with extended swell rides and making it look easy. Must be able to sail in close proximity fully-powered on broad reach and dead runs.
*Ability to sustain downwind sailing for 1-2 hours non-stop.
*Desire to do something different, challenging, and super-fun instead of "mowing" the Gorge, as usual.
*Some knowledge of typical downwind routes helpful but not required; I don't know them all. Examples: Viento to Hood River, Mosier to Rowena, Blalock Canyon to Arlington, T-Bird (or whatever car that is) to Roosevelt, Roosevelt to 3-Mile.
*Willing to sacrifice time, gas, and perhaps romantic relationship to make downwind sailing a priority and knock off several (if not all) Gorge downwinder routes. Maybe trailblaze some new ones.
*Must be willing to sacrifice a very good day of lawn mowing in the central corridor for an excellent/epic 1-2 hour downwind session plus 2+ hours of driving from Hood River.
*Believes that people who pick up hitchhikers are MOST likely to be the kindest and most generous people around.

Possibilities:
*Gear sponsorship (windsurf gear, Go Pro, free beer, etc.) (yeah, right!).
*Some notoriety.
*Advertiser/sponsor revenue.
*Super-fun experience before we are dead (or simply can't do it anymore due to age/injury).

Please respond with some qualifications via private message. Ideas welcome. All curmudgeons please refrain. Thanks.

20160624_140535.jpg 
   20160624_140542.jpg 

biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostSat Oct 22, 16 9:01 am    To clarify... Reply with quote

I am a windsurfer looking for a kiteboarding partner for this project.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Oct 22, 16 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

From a personal perspective I can positively state that I enjoy downwinders immensely.

However, It's the commitment factor that is challenging.

Perhaps you might think about posting your downwinder plans online. If people have availability perhaps they might join.

Just a thought...

biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostSat Oct 22, 16 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

No.

For this project and my own security, I need a committed partner I can rely on in MANY ways for ALL downwind legs. There will be NO variability this way. No flakes allowed. No last-minute drama (lame excuses, etc.) B.S. either.

However, I AM compiling a list of potential "special guest" riders. This does kind of fit your idea. Yes, these days, it is very difficult to find a suitable committed partner for this type of thing. It's almost as tough as finding that special "unicorn" babe in the Gorge. You know; doesn't whine and threaten when you bolt for the wind, never complains when you show up late due to a spectacular session, feeds you gourmet Chinese food and a beer when you DO show up, and then rides you silly that night when you can barely move.

Wink

P.S. Go Cubs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: