Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ride Engine Harness
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 12, 16 4:39 pm    Ride Engine Harness Reply with quote

I did read the ride engine threads a while back. They seemed to go sideways a bit ...

Thinking about getting them for myself and my teenage son. We already use the J Bar sliding hook and love that, so will probably opt for the RE rope spreader.

Who Loves em ? Who does not ?

What are the main differences between the models ? Is it just level of stiffness ?
Pros ? Cons ?

What model would be the best option for surfboard and waves ?

Thinking the Carbon but only because I love carbon things. I have no idea if thats the best option for the RE harness ? Maybe Pro model ?

Question

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Oct 12, 16 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

I went with the Hex...I like it. It is comfortable but the Hex has some weight to it. If it doesn't go limp like all my past harnesses I'll be pumped!

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 12, 16 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

They make a pill for that

burton420

Since 19 Aug 2007
38 Posts
Kelowna,BC,Canada

PostWed Oct 12, 16 7:30 pm     Reply with quote

I have been riding with my elite series model and the rope all summer and I am impressed. I ride a surfboard and foil. My only issue is that I fly cabrinha and so I have to use a carabiner which can be a bit of a stretch if you're fully powered. The harness is spectacular though.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Oct 12, 16 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

If possible try to demo one. I tried one and it hurt my ribs.

I prefer the dakine C1 harness. I use it with my dynabar.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 13, 16 12:05 am     Reply with quote

50 days on my unit and I love it, will never go back

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 13, 16 6:02 am    Demo Reply with quote

I have Ride Engine harnesses available for demo .

Sizing is very important , typically you will want one size smaller than your traditional large back harness. I started with a Large and had a painful experience switched to the medium and love it. I use both the fixed hook and rope depending on what I am riding. It is important to double back the strap through the buckle to prevent slippage. I have 4 months of solid use and the Hex Core is still rock solid. The team series and elite have more carbon and are stiffer.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Oct 13, 16 6:06 am     Reply with quote

burton420 wrote:
My only issue is that I fly cabrinha and so I have to use a carabiner which can be a bit of a stretch if you're fully powered.

I started out with the sliding hook from Dynabar and had the same issue. Went to the England Marine and picked up 2 heavy duty stainless steel rings for like 50 cents each. Now the reach is just right. I have to pop my chicken loop which makes tethered launches/landings a bit trickier, but I figured out how to use my kite leash and all's well.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 13, 16 6:47 am     Reply with quote

100+ days on my Hex. No signs of wear.
Best harness ever in 30 years of windsurfing and kiting.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 13, 16 8:55 am     Reply with quote

Best harness on the market. For real.

The harnesses to get progressively stiffer and lighter. The carbon and pro series is tough to tell the difference in stiffness but the weight difference is noticeable fore sure. I started out with the Hex and I upgraded to Odyssey Pro and that thing is the shit.

I used to rock the slider rope until I found out that the next step in strapless riding is to start doing tricks unhooked. Otherwise I probably would have stayed on it. There is an argument out there that it doesn't makes sense to have slidey things in the sailing world. I have a friend that states that the slider rope technology is a backwards step while so much of the equipment is moving towards a tighter and closer feel. Do what you want. Slider ropes increase your angle of attack so if that's what your going for then there's your answer.

Cody

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Oct 13, 16 1:24 pm    Re: Demo Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
Sizing is very important , typically you will want one size smaller than your traditional large back harness. I started with a Large and had a painful experience switched to the medium and love it.

Same here. I followed their instructions to measure my waist with a tape and buy based on their chart. That put me in an XL which was too big. I got the large and I still tighten it down as far as it will go to get it tight enough not to ride up. My pant waist size is in the 33-35 range.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostSat Oct 15, 16 7:41 am     Reply with quote

I found the sides of the RE harness that wrap around the front are too ridged and would dig into my lower ribs. It seems like there is a stiff plastic interior that is not padded enough on top. The C1 harness is much softer in this area and is more comfortable for me. I've been waiting for the new Dakine rope slider bar to come to market as I highly dislike their old sliding hook on webbing.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSat Oct 15, 16 8:13 am    Slider Reply with quote

cpc219 wrote:
Best harness on the market. For real.

The harnesses to get progressively stiffer and lighter. The carbon and pro series is tough to tell the difference in stiffness but the weight difference is noticeable fore sure. I started out with the Hex and I upgraded to Odyssey Pro and that thing is the shit.

I used to rock the slider rope until I found out that the next step in strapless riding is to start doing tricks unhooked. Otherwise I probably would have stayed on it. There is an argument out there that it doesn't makes sense to have slidey things in the sailing world. I have a friend that states that the slider rope technology is a backwards step while so much of the equipment is moving towards a tighter and closer feel. Do what you want. Slider ropes increase your angle of attack so if that's what your going for then there's your answer.

Cody

My son and I both ride the sliding J bar. Love it. Think its the best thing I have ever tried. Some people don't like it. Feels good.

joaodav

Since 18 Oct 2016
2 Posts

PostThu Oct 20, 16 4:21 am     Reply with quote

i have a wainman bar and it uses a closed CL.
but i can pass the CL through the dynema rope and engage the QR everytime before I launch and disengage after landing it.
can there be any problem with this setup?
Thanks for your comments!

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 20, 16 7:42 am     Reply with quote

I have the carbon katana, im 6ft with a size 32 waist and a med is really good for me. It fits nicely between my ribs and hip bones and as good as can be into the small of my back. I had a dakine pyro 2015/2016 harness and was had some pain issues with it. Ride Engine seems to work for me and is really comfortable. My fav thing about it is that I just dont think about my harness while Im riding anymore.

I did notice that I was engaging my core a lot more jumping and possibly riding even, i was sore after the first couple sessions. Id throw it out there that it may challenge you to use some muscles in a different way, everyones mileage may vary. I can say that this is the harness for me and Im really glad i made the switch.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 20, 16 8:21 am    Re: Demo Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
I have Ride Engine harnesses available for demo .

Sizing is very important , typically you will want one size smaller than your traditional large back harness. I started with a Large and had a painful experience switched to the medium and love it. I use both the fixed hook and rope depending on what I am riding. It is important to double back the strap through the buckle to prevent slippage. I have 4 months of solid use and the Hex Core is still rock solid. The team series and elite have more carbon and are stiffer.

Thanks, good info.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostThu Oct 20, 16 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

I have a hex with rope spreader and love it. It's comfy, light and tough. Tethered launches were irritating with the rope, so I just took off the Donkey Dick and use that hole for a small carabiner I bought from west marine.

I have a decent size belly and the RE doesn't slide up to my armpits like my other harnesses did. It's magical. Agreed that sizing right is critical. Try on the smaller size and if it seems too tight, that's probably the right size.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: