Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Shark attack at Ecola State Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 11, 16 1:50 pm    Shark attack at Ecola State Park Reply with quote

Didn't see this posted so wanted to give everyone the heads up - Surfer bitten at Ecola State Park. One of the articles said he punched the shark to get away. Gonna take some boxing lessons before I hit the coast next Rolling Eyes
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/early-lead/wp/2016/10/11/29-year-old-surfer-suffers-pretty-gruesome-injuries-in-rare-oregon-shark-attack/

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Oct 12, 16 6:53 am     Reply with quote

In an interview with KPTV, Rose described Tanner’s injuries as “pretty gruesome.”
Shocked

Cuc_RpJVUAAJOns.jpg 

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
LGP COUGAR HUNTING ChEETO SLAYER
Windmixer

PostWed Oct 12, 16 7:48 am     Reply with quote

Good thing the Red tailed Catfish have no teeth in our ocean of Lake Michigan! scary stuff though that ish was always on my mind when swimming with the sharkys!
body drag=big topwater bait! that's why I always keep a couple of grenades on me when kitting out in the black waters off the OR coast! stay gnarly my friends!

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Oct 12, 16 8:41 am     Reply with quote

they said in the article that it was clear what kind of shark did this. Was it a Great White? apologies if I missed it in the article

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 12, 16 8:49 am     Reply with quote

I don't think they know for sure what kind of shark it was. KOIN said likely a great white but I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Sounds like he's still in serious condition but gonna be okay:
http://www.kptv.com/story/33369371/family-seriously-injured-surfer-punched-shark-to-escape-attack-on-oregon-coastd

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Oct 12, 16 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Not surprising as the GW is protected and the numbers are growing. This is the first of many attacks that will happen in Oregon over the coming decade. I'll kite and SUP, but I'm done surfing Oregon and have been since the large shark - seal trauma in Westport. I'll leave that to the brave... or crazy.

Bet the lineup will be a bit lighter in the next few months.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostThu Oct 13, 16 10:41 am     Reply with quote

I WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF THE BITE AND BLOOD Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

JUST IN FROM THE LOCALISM OF A BRO FROM THE TROLL
 JUST IN FROM THE LOCALISM OF A BRO FROM THE TROLL  ecola.jpg 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Oct 13, 16 5:41 pm     Reply with quote

That's bad juju

IMG_0002.PNG 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
LGP COUGAR HUNTING ChEETO SLAYER
Windmixer

PostFri Oct 14, 16 7:59 am     Reply with quote

Shocked holy shit is that a bite!
so lucky you got out in time!!!!!!!!!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Oct 14, 16 8:43 am     Reply with quote

Shocked

SUPrs do it standing up.png 
   sharkalanche.jpg 

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Oct 14, 16 11:12 pm     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
That's bad juju

Did you see the story about this? There was a guy stuck in the cage with that shark. He went in the water again the next day because he "felt so lucky". He should have bought a lottery ticket too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/15/world/americas/diver-recounts-his-encounter-with-a-cage-breaking-great-white-shark.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-2&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Oct 27, 16 11:18 am     Reply with quote

In case anybody missed this follow up:
http://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-surfer-shark-attack-joseph-tanner-cannon-beach/

As he recovers, Tanner hopes other surfers can learn from his experience.

All surfers should know how to tie a tourniquet and know their blood type — and a thick wetsuit doesn’t hurt, he added.

“I wore the thickest wetsuit that they sell,” he said. “That wetsuit quite possibly saved my life.”

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Oct 31, 16 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
http://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-surfer-shark-attack-joseph-tanner-cannon-beach/

All surfers should know how to tie a tourniquet and know their blood type — and a thick wetsuit doesn’t hurt, he added.

“I wore the thickest wetsuit that they sell,” he said. “That wetsuit quite possibly saved my life.”

Tourniquet maybe, but knowing your blood type is probably not necessary. No first world hospital is going to transfuse you without checking first. Way too much liability for them. Tourniquets should only be applied for arterial bleeding that is not controlled with direct pressure and elevation-unnecessary tourniquets can cause way more harm than benefit.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Nov 01, 16 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Westside barge slayer wrote:
Wind Slither wrote:

Tourniquet maybe, but knowing your blood type is probably not necessary. No first world hospital is going to transfuse you without checking first. Way too much liability for them. Tourniquets should only be applied for arterial bleeding that is not controlled with direct pressure and elevation-unnecessary tourniquets can cause way more harm than benefit.

Also, always take note of the time a tourniquet was applied and relay that to 1st responders. They can be applied for much longer durations than previously thought but important to have a time frame for how long it has been on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: