Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

El Cuyo, Mexico- Any information?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pfchurchill

Since 11 Oct 2016
15 Posts
New Hamsphire

PostTue Oct 11, 16 10:26 am    El Cuyo, Mexico- Any information? Reply with quote

Spent the winter in LaVentana--good kiting but it was pretty crowded. Does anyone have any experience kiting in El Cuyo or any other Mexican locations on East Coast?

bobdigital

Since 29 Aug 2016
67 Posts

PostTue Oct 11, 16 10:33 am    El Cuyo Reply with quote

I was in El Cuyo/Isla blanca at the end of the season last year in April. El Cuyo is great. not busy, quiet little town, beachfront small cabanas. Buy fish from the fisherman to grill out front on the beach. 10m north winds, but since it was the end of the season we had to drive around to find the wind. Also spent a couple days at la punta on isla blanca. One side is dead flat and shallow, otherside has waves, just have to walk a narrow sandbar. The lagoon there is like a bathtub but super busy.I stepped on something gnarly there and really messed my foot up. You can kite from there to Ikarus kite camp. Mosquitos were otherworldy when i was there as well.

bobdigital

Since 29 Aug 2016
67 Posts

PostTue Oct 11, 16 10:38 am     Reply with quote

some pics

El cuyo.jpg 
   la punta.jpg 

CKWS

Since 05 Oct 2016
7 Posts

Kook

PostTue Oct 11, 16 10:40 am     Reply with quote

CKWS

Since 05 Oct 2016
7 Posts

Kook

PostTue Oct 11, 16 10:50 am     Reply with quote

Hey man!!

Funny you posted on this now haha, we are discussing this very topic in the "Isla Blanca, Mexico" post. We have a kiteschool in El Cuyo, Mexico and will be opening up in January. But we have a load of information, maps, guides, wind info, etc.. on our page. Getting a cheap rental car there in Cancun and exploring is definitely the way to go, as each area has its own charm. But I would say for more wind El Cuyo, Rio Lagartos or Progreso (although water is getting polluted there) is the place to go for the most wind.

www.comekitewithus.com/kiteschool

John Ruffing
Owner & Instructor

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Oct 11, 16 11:23 am    El Cuyo Reply with quote

I was there in May - good spot. Like the prior poster mentioned - not busy. We had decent wind then, on and off. Mostly 12m for me, but some 9.

There is a good possibility for a downwinder - west along the coast is a road that goes toward "las coloradas" and it comes very close to the beach at a few spots.

We also went to Isla Holbox - very nice place, but the kiting is limited to one spot, and I don't think they get as much wind.

We also did the loop driving from Merida East along the coast - Progresso to Dizalam de bravo and then through Rio Lagartos. I didn't like Progresso, basically a city. On that stretch - Telchac Puerto and San Crisanto are really nice, past San Crisanto going east, the terrain gets super flat - and there are no beaches - the towns have sea walls to protect them. Rio lagartos is not really a sailing spot. San Felipe could be - but, from the info I received - you need to take a boat to the sailing spot.

CKWS

Since 05 Oct 2016
7 Posts

Kook

PostThu Oct 27, 16 11:07 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a good possibility for a downwinder - west along the coast is a road that goes toward "las coloradas" and it comes very close to the beach at a few spots

Yup, the downwinder is great from El Cuyo and you can go all the way to Rio Lagartos.. and on the way hit up Las Coloradas (pink Lagoons), other lagoon riding in waist deep water and end it at Rio Lagartos.. pretty good stuff...

Quote:
I didn't like Progresso, basically a city

Ya, sadly with it being a fairly large 3rd world developing city...the water is quite polluted and they dump directly without a waste water program to clean the sewage.

Quote:
Rio lagartos is not really a sailing spot

It is actually a great spot to kite and has amazing flat water and small waves on the other side of the break waters.. check out some of the pics i have below and there was an old write up in kiteboarder on the spots there. Its an okay write up, not tons of info, but it works...

I have a map on our website for downwinders and locations to ride around Rio and El Cuyo. www.comekitewithus.com/location

John

kitesurfingsanfeliperiolagartos-1.jpg 
   sanfeliperiolagartos.jpg 

pfchurchill

Since 11 Oct 2016
15 Posts
New Hamsphire

PostThu Oct 27, 16 5:35 pm    Going to El Cuyo Reply with quote

Made the plunge--booked flight and rented a place for January 2017. I will post info when I get back.!

pfchurchill

Since 11 Oct 2016
15 Posts
New Hamsphire

PostSat Jan 28, 17 7:10 am    One Month in El Cuyo Reply with quote

Well, we've been here a month and I'm glad to be leaving tomorrow. The wind has been light to non existent for most of the month. When the first El Norte came it went from 3 to 34 mph in 20 minutes and the 7 foot waves lasted for five days. Them mostly the wind died off to nothing; a few times it blew straight offshore. The town is a sleepy little fishing village- no ATM, small tiendas for food, but read between the lines--intermittent internet, the only 2 restaurants close at 6, then small loncherias open in the evening, nothing much to do but walk the beach and walk to town, the marina or the dock in the Rio Lagartos to see the flamingos. We drove to Rio Lagartos and took a boat tour--$12.50 (250 pesos) each. Close to the salt mines (about half way to El Cuyo) we saw a 6 foot crocodile and three smaller ones. Not sure I would want to kite in the Rio Lagartos (River of Lizards is the translation); it's super salty, brackish and a soft bottom you sink into. Food is cheap, rental cars are outrageous, cabs from the airport, if you're not careful can cost $68 USD to get into Cancun. No matter what anyone tells you about cheap car rentals, we saw everyone being ripped off. No one had a good story. The other couple traveling with us bought all the insurances online before coming and they were not honored at the desk, so they had to pay again for all the insurances. About $1200 for the month. The Mexican car companies do not honor any insurances unless you buy from them. At the airport it is even worse, they charge a 16% airport tax as well. There is bus service from Cancun to here but will take you the better part of the day. Getting out here without a car is not easy, you may want to contact the person you are renting from for info about transport. If you are here for a week, save your money, you don't need a car. As far as other things to do: Visiting a cenote is a 3 hr drive one way, Isla Hoblox is doable for a day--2 hrs each way and a ferry ride. Tizimin is just a rural Mexican town--nothing special. Get your pesos in Cancun, get your ground coffee in Cancun (Nescafe instant is the coffee you get here). We won't be coming back.

EasyDuzzit

Since 29 Jul 2013
22 Posts
Florence

PostSat Jan 28, 17 11:41 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds idyllic to me!

PostFri Feb 17, 17 7:01 am     Reply with quote

I just got back from a trip to Mexico. I traveled to El Cuyo the first week and Cozumel the second week.

El Cuyo is a quiet fishing village with side onshore winds, I foil boarded 5 out of 7 days, Cozumel is a busy tourist town with amazing blue water, riding a foil board here is some of the most amazing kiting I've done in 15 years of kiteboarding. Both locations have there advantages and disadvantages. Our rental car was an easy pain free 25 dollar a day exp., we brought our own coffee, food was fresh and super cheap. We stopped in Puerto Morelos on our way to Airport for another great pre airport kitespot. Wet luggage in Cancun, no problem!

We hooked up with Raul Delille for amazing sup snorkel trips and great local knowledge. http://www.delillesports.com/eng/

An amazing trip, highly recommended as a baja alternative.

cozumel.jpg 
   blue water.jpg 
   el cuyo porch.jpg 
   El Cuyo Mega kite (1).jpg 

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Feb 17, 17 11:43 am     Reply with quote

Regarding car rental in Cancun.

It's been a few years since I've been there but last time I rented a car there I had over $20k in fraudulant charges on my credit card after I had returned to the states. I have reasons to believe the issue occurred at the car rental joint. Charges were re-imbursed by Visa, but still a pain to deal with.

I am now a fan of using AMEX insurance for car rental and have utilized multiple times out of Cabo. Have not tried out of Cancun yet but am under the belief it should work (American Express lists Mexico as a country it works in).

More information is available here:
https://feeservices.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

comekitewithus

Since 04 Oct 2016
4 Posts

Kook

PostWed Mar 01, 17 7:49 am     Reply with quote

January did have a slow start to wind. February has been much better...and March-June look to be the windiest months here in El Cuyo.

Pretty soon we will have a El Cuyo Guide posted to our blog that will help with details of visiting here.

If you would like a quick glimpse into the kiting, kiteboarding lessons, and lifestyle here in El Cuyo, check out our latest blog post.

http://www.comekitewithus.com/blog/kiteboard-in-el-cuyo-mexico

john-el-cuyo.jpg 
   pro-8326.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: