Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Has anyone been to Isla Blanca, Mexico ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostMon Oct 10, 16 3:44 pm    Has anyone been to Isla Blanca, Mexico ? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going to Isla Blanca , Mexico for the month of Jan. Does anyone have any suggestions ? What is the wind like , and what size kites should I bring ? What are the accommodations like ?
Thank you, Butch Simones

PDXF

Since 10 Sep 2008
116 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Oct 10, 16 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

I went down there in 09' (I think) and the lagoon looked to be a good flat water spot, much like SPI's lagoon, and like SPI the lagoon is pay as you go. We didn't get good wind, in January, to get flat water steez but we did get biting bugs on windless nights when we stayed at one of the ma and pa joints on the isle. Bring a big kite and a good book.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 11, 16 5:03 am     Reply with quote

North wind rocks. On North days ride at Itcus kite. They have food and drink. In ten day over Christmas, we had two 10m days. On East wind had two 13m days, launch from roads end then walk a bit more. There is an open spot in the trees where the East blows through. The North was great, rode till dark.
We learned, don't ride till dark. Moscitos are insane at sun down. Come in 30 minutes early.
Also rode some South of Cancun in the open water, wind was pretty light thou.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 11, 16 6:24 am     Reply with quote

I was down there last spring break in March. Wind switches to SE then and Isla Blanca is only good on North. I had one good day of butter and 9m at Icarus and a couple of SE 13m sessions at Tulum. We stayed down by Tulum at Akumal and Isla Blanca looked too rustic for a family. It's less than 30 min from Cancun (las Vegas on the beach) which would be way more fun for non kiters. Anywhere south of Playa del Carmen is best for families. Dave at Windance has been a bunch too

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 11, 16 6:37 am     Reply with quote

A few people from the Seattle/Puget Sound kiters are starting up an operation on the Yucatan a few hours from Cancun. Worth looking into:
http://www.comekitewithus.com/

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Oct 11, 16 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Here's a post from when I went. There's some good info and directions, http://nwkite.com/forums/t-7561.html

CKWS

Since 05 Oct 2016
7 Posts

Kook

PostTue Oct 11, 16 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Hey guys!! I have been to Isla Blanca around 3 times, but the last time I went was about 5 years ago. I am sure things have changed accommodation wise, as they were on solar power and didnt have much options for food at all there. Great spot for flat water and Macgruber is correct it is good on a North wind only. You can also stay in Cancun area, if you like the tourist thing, party style and doesnt feel like Mexico at all. I really liked Playa del Carmen, Tulum and Akumal for staying, if you are going to be on that side. But the wind is large kites, if even possible to get ride-able days in to kite.

macgruber wrote:
I was down there last spring break in March. Wind switches to SE then and Isla Blanca is only good on North. I had one good day of butter and 9m at Icarus and a couple of SE 13m sessions at Tulum. We stayed down by Tulum at Akumal and Isla Blanca looked too rustic for a family. It's less than 30 min from Cancun (las Vegas on the beach) which would be way more fun for non kiters. Anywhere south of Playa del Carmen is best for families. Dave at Windance has been a bunch too

With that being said, myself and Ryan Curtright from Seattle are opening up a school in El Cuyo. Its a bit smaller than Tulum and way less touristy. But accommodation options on the water are much cheaper and offers much more luxury options compared to Isla Blanca. The wind is stronger in El Cuyo and when the wind switches directions you can still be riding a 10m, where in Isla, Cancun, Playa, etc you will be on a 14/16m kite. We also have flat water riding spots, behind a break wall in town and a short drive to lagoon spots that are unexplored. Check out the information I have on our website, for the location, tourist stuff to see around the area, wind/weather and general maps for downwind location. Also, the pink lagoons that for some reason no one knows about and are a spectacle in themselves to see.

General Info
www.comekitewithus.com/kiteschool

Wind Data
www.comekitewithus.com/windweather

Maps
www.comekitewithus.com/location

Here you can see the beach (small waves/chop), lagoon and the break-wall for additional flat water.

John Ruffing
Owner & Instructor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: