Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Heavyweight Rider
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Big "E"

Since 21 Sep 2016
7 Posts
Central Oregon
Kook

PostThu Sep 22, 16 5:32 pm    Heavyweight Rider Reply with quote

So, I'm looking to buy my first kite. The kicker is I,m 6'7" and just under 300lbs. Scouring the net for information, it would appear there is only one other guy in the world who kites that is heavier than me. Shocked
I found some really good older information in a forum with a post named "Heavyweight Rider"
so I thought I would start one here as a new member.
If anyone has any thoughts on what size or type of kite would work best for a Big boned bouy, it would be appreciated.
I,m leaning towards a 17m zephyr. I invision gliding across the lakes of Central Oregon which appears to have an average of 10 to 20 mph winds on a good kiting day.
They don't even make kite boots in a 14....I guess I'll use straps....or drill holes in some wakeboard boots.
Trying to put together the pieces for an enjoyable start.
Thanks
"E"

nosbocaj

Since 19 Jul 2014
28 Posts
Portland

PostThu Sep 22, 16 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

17m would most likely work for a guy your size in that wind range. I rode with a guy at Cape Hatteras who was a similar size, maybe slightly smaller. I went out on a 12m and he was on a 15m. For reference, I'm 6'2" 200lbs, and it was about 16-18mph that day. We were both perfectly powered. A 14m would be a good second kite for windier days.

As far as a board goes, definitely use straps. Boots are more commonly used in wakestyle/freestyle and are meant more for advanced riders.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostThu Sep 22, 16 6:23 pm     Reply with quote

maybe a directional board (surfboard) with straps... a board that has some float to it?

and don't ride short lines. use lines on the long side?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 22, 16 7:30 pm     Reply with quote

Come on out to Rooster Rock on a big 50+ day this fall/winter. You can go out on a 6 while the rest of us watch because we don't have anything small enough

Big "E"

Since 21 Sep 2016
7 Posts
Central Oregon
Kook

PostThu Sep 22, 16 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Before researching and discovering that an extra 100lbs deserves a considerably larger kite I was leaning towards a 15m switchblade. That yellow on gold looks sick. Possibly a good second kite.
I hadn't actually entertained a directional board. I'll look into that, thanks. I was thinking a light wind twin tip, such as a monster long Cabrina Stylus. I sure like the looks and the shape of the Ocean Rodeo LT-138. I read a review on it and a rider had mentioned it would work nicely for a bigger person and handled well in chop.
Other kites I was considering was a " fat lady" or a "Dyno".

Thanks for you time
"E"

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostFri Sep 23, 16 5:19 am     Reply with quote

E,

I got a buddy we call Big T...he's an old sailor, windsurfer who has become a helluva Kiter. Got the nickname "twinkle toes", cause he kites like Fred Flintstone bowls, spectacularly!!

He rides Cabrinha kites, and has great kite flying skills and reads the water exceptionally well. He is generally on one size bigger kite. Rides twintips exclusively.

That being said he does not fly in marginal conditions, he waits for 20-25 and flies a 12m. On inland lakes, the wind will be gustier and if you are flying in 15-20 you would obviously need a bigger kite, but as your skill level increases and you kite in windier conditions, your weight will not be as much of a factor.

It seems to me the key is to reduce your learning curve, and find s good instructor and some good conditions to learn in...a good instructor will help you find the best gear for you, shopping online with no knowledge is a slippery slope. Find a good instructor to trust and guide you.....it'll be well worth the effort, and you will pick it up faster, good luck!

Mike D

Since 28 Apr 2011
195 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostFri Sep 23, 16 9:29 am    depends Reply with quote

Just depends on wind. I'm 6'5 and been as heavy as 270, still riding a 6m at the hatch. I would say get a 14m Pivot (but I'm biased) as your go to kite.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 23, 16 10:56 am     Reply with quote

You need a 17 to start and probably a 12 to follow. There are many great 17s out there with each best at certain things. You should also consider a 17 Turbine since it has more grunt than most. And at 300+#s (C'mon...we know you're not LESS than 300!) you're gonna need max pull!

I also kite the Central Oregon lakes. At 180#s, I'm usually on a 14 and never less than a 12. I think you'd be good with a grunty 17 and a big light wind twin tip. Forget any board below 140cm!

And last, an image that will forever be burned into my memory is from Naxos, Greece. We watched this 300#+ woman painfully hobble around setting up lines on her 16m kite. We were out on 10 and 12s. Seriously, she could barely walk the beach in setup mode. Then she self launches (knowing we were all just staring, incredulous and worthless to her) and goes out and tears it up. Unbelievable. I'm sure she has inspired more than a few people to take up kiting.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Sep 23, 16 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

This
caps wrote:
Forget any board below 140cm!

This
Mike D wrote:
Just depends on wind.

And this
west wrote:
but as your skill level increases and you kite in windier conditions, your weight will not be as much of a factor.

A 17/14/12 will become your best friends but just because you're big doesn't mean you need a big kite to start with. I cannot convey enough how much you should practice flying a smaller kite throughout the wind window until you learn to consistently drive power from it. Buy a helmet and an old beater 4 line kite and go play in a park or on the beach in light wind for hours. This will hone your flying skills so when you graduate to water starts you've got the kite control to keep progressing because your size will limit the amount of kiteable days available to you.....in the beginning. Down the road.....you'll be buying 9 meters. Good luck. Be safe. Be patient. Have fun.

johnz

Since 13 Jan 2011
5 Posts

Kook

PostFri Sep 23, 16 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

I have a 17 m2 Turbine that I'm interested in selling.

I am 6'4 and 225 lbs, so I can relate a bit to where you are at.

I would recommend a big twin tip over a directional for learning, but that is just my opinion... Something 145 - 165 cm long and wide without too much rocker. You want to get planing quickly so you can start to work on staying upwind, transitions, etc.

Just ignore what the 120 lb 22 year old kids are riding - it will just mess with your head Smile

Good luck!! All of that ballast can be a great thing in gusty conditions!

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostFri Sep 23, 16 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

Where the hell is DP when you need him Question

Search author The Minnow (aka DP aka the secret agent)on here and you will be able (barely) to obtain some info for the heavy weight class. If anything you'll be entertained and lose minutes of your precious free time. Dig back to circa 2011ish and you will be rewarded with some old school NWKite shizots. Things have settled down here in general Confused Hell just drop him a pm and see what's up. I think he was tipping the scales at 290.

...have fun out there! The south coast has the wind power for you when you need the salt water fix. At 300 you will take lip cracking to the next level.

Big "E"

Since 21 Sep 2016
7 Posts
Central Oregon
Kook

PostFri Sep 23, 16 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

Well I have to admit Mike D, from researching many manufacturers websites the Naish Kites appear to be built the most durable. The Naish kites see to conform more towards the C type Style and less Bow type. There largest Light wind kite the Fly only comes in a 15m. When i first looked at them the "two strut" build, made me look at other options, the quad-tex canopy sounds very strong though.
It seems there is a trade off for a lighter wind kite and durability. the trailing edge of a Naish looks stronger and not so flappy as say a Zepher.
I would guess that a C style kite would turn quicker/sharper, and a bow type would fly smoother and stay in the center of the window easier?

Thanks for your input

"E"

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostFri Sep 23, 16 6:35 pm     Reply with quote

at 300 pounds any C kite you fly is going to look like a U kite

Very Happy

Big "E"

Since 21 Sep 2016
7 Posts
Central Oregon
Kook

PostFri Sep 23, 16 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

Laughing that's funny. I actually snapped a wakeboard in half once, true story. Granted it was an early waketech 69. They use to be styrophome wrapped with fiberglass, didn't quite clear the wake Exclamation
I'm exited to tax some kite lines. Today in the mail I received my OR "react" kite. I found a soccer field to practice in, to bad it's soccer season. I plan on doing body drags across Prineville res. This spring.
Has anyone tried the OR "heat" drysuit.

Thanks

E

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Sep 24, 16 7:24 pm     Reply with quote

17M Turbine or a 12M Rally might be good kites to start with in the Bend area. 10M Rally might be good if you are coming to The Gorge.

Personally I think it's easier to get onto a plane on a larger surfboard than a light wind twin tip. Plus a surfboard doesn't ride like a plank.

Good luck on your progression.

The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 25, 16 3:46 pm    The Big Minnow Reply with quote

Hello all NWkiters and school English teachers;
Where is proxy monkey boy pants on fire plant him dead metal head;?
......... First off dude post a picture of your self complete profile< dressed please no nudity> and a shoot what your scale reads?
I have been any where from 280-340 easy; it sucks!
Nobody knows what I know< if six was nine = Jimi Hendrix>
Studied kite-surfers for years before i got involved;
First thing you are going to break your ribs and be crying like a baby every time you move for months ;
I ride new gear all the time and am bias in a good way ; my gear works and ride with the top riders in the world hands down;
............ It toke me ten years to learn what i know and when i ride no one has any idea whats going on I only do suicide mission; i ride or die; I ride as if death is imminent ;

that is why i like new gear I do not want my gear being the cause of death.
Get a Dakine C-1 harness XL it will fit a 45inch waist no extender belt needed;
The harness must be worn under the fat roll below your belly button; or be a idiot and break your ribs; your choice!! part one

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 25, 16 4:04 pm    Your only board choice; Reply with quote

Your board is a litewave 165 carbon;
https://litewavedesigns.com/ get last years bindings Sasquatch boy #14
This board will be a life long friend; is smooth in chop;
better it works in any wind i have used it in well over 30knts;
the board is 900usd and tell dave i sent you; get a shirt!! it will ride in the lightest wind possible ; I ride with foilers in total confidence

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: