Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Go Pro 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CrazyC

Since 07 Apr 2007
174 Posts
P Town
Stoked

PostMon Sep 19, 16 1:24 pm    OT: Go Pro 5 Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/vlDzYIIOYmM

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 19, 16 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

http://www.iwasphotographed.com/

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Sep 19, 16 7:00 pm     Reply with quote

Not OT since a lot of content that we reference here is shot using GoPro.
Yes, the GoPro 5 and GoPro Karma drone look like really greatly designed products, packed with features and at a very reasonable price. Would be very interesting to see some reviews as soon as it comes out.

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 20, 16 1:14 pm    so Reply with quote

sick

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostTue Sep 20, 16 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

That's a great video... I'll probably re-watch that. Some good marketing right there.

Wish the drone was waterproof- probably not practical, but with watersports, it'd be a great feature. This summer I watched a friend's drone crash in the lake while he was trying to film me wakeboarding. Sank like a rock. Even though I wasn't flying the drone, I felt pretty bad. Not sure I could feel comfortable flying something that expensive over water now.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 20, 16 4:22 pm     Reply with quote

Someone should make a stick on life preserver for go pros. My buddy lost his in the drink, off of his strut mount, his first time using it.
3m sticky foam, Alka seltzer, and a plastic bag?

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostTue Sep 20, 16 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

@OccupiedColumbia- they've got those! Those Orange Floaty back doors. I just got one for mine- couldn't bring myself to take it out on the water until I got a floaty. I just know with how hard me, my board, and my kite hit the water sometimes, I'd for sure lose a camera if it didn't float, no matter where I mounted it. I also bought some stick on teathers, too, for when I have it mounted on my board. Its basically a plastic eyelet that sticks to the board next to the gopro mount, then has some string attached to it that you attach to your go pro. Seems like a great backup in case a mount brakes. With how hard it is to spot my board sometimes in the swell, I imagine spotting a small floating gopro would be tough, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Floaty-Float-Adhesive-Gopro-Camera/dp/B00DQH0WHA/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1474423395&sr=1-13&keywords=gopro+floaty

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Sep 21, 16 3:25 am     Reply with quote

Problem with the orange floats is they block the display on the back of the camera.

Dbeck

Since 06 Jul 2012
14 Posts

PostWed Sep 21, 16 7:14 am     Reply with quote

https://www.airdog.com/

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostWed Sep 21, 16 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Airdog looks cool. That follow feature would be great, and looks like they're coming out with a specific mode for kiting soon. Super cool. It's a bit pricey, but I don't like spending money... so maybe it's just me. Ha.

Also, this wrist strap is another option for keeping a GoPro afloat. Doesn't block the screen (if you've got a screen).

https://www.amazon.com/FloatPro-Waterproof-Must-Have-Accessories-Warranty/dp/B00Y6TJ296/ref=sr_1_25?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1474477681&sr=1-25&keywords=gopro+floaty

yellowblackandwhite

Since 20 Aug 2016
16 Posts

PostFri Sep 23, 16 6:17 am     Reply with quote

Bill C wrote:
Problem with the orange floats is they block the display on the back of the camera.

Out of the box, GoPros don't have a display on the back. You have to either add on a screen or a life preserver. Neither of which co-locate easily on a gimbal mounted to a drone.

Source: has drone mounted gimbal with GoPro.
(Hasn't sunk yet-Knock on wood)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: