Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Who is at fault here
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 11, 16 5:58 pm    Who is at fault here Reply with quote

So I was up at swell city in Aug. I was just running through some video and came across this. I was getting out of water and this guy jibbed right in front of me.
My lines hit his mast.
I could have raised my kite, if I had seen him.
Whose at fault

http://youtu.be/yLAlLcLhDE0

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Sep 11, 16 7:12 pm     Reply with quote

If you use a kiter as a jibe marker you have to assume that is going to happen. It's poor form for him to do that imho. He was upwind passing you on his way downwind therefore he should be yielding to you. It's like the ski racer passing the beginner on a green run. The racer should expect the unexpected and would be found at fault. Sorry I am not implying you are a beginner or that he was speeding, just trying to make a point. I would assume that if you were aware of him you would have made an effort to keep your kite higher.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostSun Sep 11, 16 8:04 pm     Reply with quote

people could quote all sorts of sailboat rules, but it is probably more like this :

you were driving down a 4 lane highway in the left lane minding your own business and a dude pulled a U turn from the right lane.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 12, 16 7:23 am     Reply with quote

That is simply aggressive weird on his part. Didn't we used to call this guy "The Dangler" Smile

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 12, 16 7:26 am     Reply with quote

That is what i thought. I dont know why those windsurfers as such douche bags up there in swell city. Seems to a going theme with most windsurfers. So uptight and unfriendly.

I had a pretty incident in Maui this summer as well.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 12, 16 8:33 am     Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
I dont know why those windsurfers as such douche bags up there in swell city. Seems to a going theme with most windsurfers. So uptight and unfriendly.

It's called Irritable Male Syndrome. It's the male version of menopause.
The demographic of the Swell City windsurfer is 50+, nearing retirement or retired and thus feeling a sense of loss and with it their raison d’ętre.... they can only peer into a bleak abyss of lonely retirement.....
I steer clear of Swell City - there's great swell above and below.
To better understand the Swell City mentality - think of it as a zoo exhibit of older caged Lions ...... When you rode your kite into Swell City and fell down and then fell again when you attempted to get up - it was like a distressed water buffalo in a lion's den..... their predatory nature kicked in. Why are you surprised?

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 12, 16 9:35 am    Agressive Windsurfer Reply with quote

Thank you for posting the Video.

Their are plenty of kiter error examples but this seems to be a clueless or aggressive windsurfer.

The video clip is reflective of the antics of two local windsurfers with known anger issues. Several times while kiting on a steady course out at the margins of The Hatch windsurfing launch both of these two windsurfers have come down on me from upwind & behind, looked at me directly in the eye then cut off my path of travel with a jibe from above, down and around. They obviously have confidence that I am able to react, change my path of travel or stop and pivot to avoid T-boning them. These characters of concern are well known to the windsurfing community and even condemned (by other windsurfers) for their stigma. Their case file (on and off the water) is many years long but this will not help the injured when their risk exceeds their psychic reward.

No matter who is sharing the space with you; you can never lose by taking the high road.

Always lead with a smile and some stoke.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 12, 16 9:54 am    Re: Agressive Windsurfer Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:
Thank you for posting the Video.

Their are plenty of kiter error examples but this seems to be a clueless or aggressive windsurfer.

The video clip is reflective of the antics of two local windsurfers with known anger issues. Several times while kiting on a steady course out at the margins of The Hatch windsurfing launch both of these two windsurfers have come down on me from upwind & behind, looked at me directly in the eye then cut off my path of travel with a jibe from above, down and around. They obviously have confidence that I am able to react, change my path of travel or stop and pivot to avoid T-boning them. These characters of concern are well known to the windsurfing community and even condemned (by other windsurfers) for their stigma. Their case file (on and off the water) is many years long but this will not help the injured when their risk exceeds their psychic reward.

No matter who is sharing the space with you; you can never lose by taking the high road.

Well put. I am always cheering people on. I was up there when Alex A was foiling around wtih those small kids this Aug. It was insane to watch. I was comeing up on them shouting encouragement. I get so psyched to see other kiters catching sick air. I was down at three mile late aug on a Sat and the wind kicked and we got this monster swell. Everyone was so stoked and high fiving on the launch site. Some guy i did not know, but saw him ripping out there, came up to us and said,"did that really just happen?" and high fived us. The swell that day was huge.

I grew up windsurfer, and i just cant believe how sour they are.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Sep 12, 16 10:07 am    Re: Agressive Windsurfer Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:

Thumb's Up

That area can get a bit crazy but that is a weak sauce move cutting in that tight when you're reloading. He's lucky you only pinged his mast as that could have become ugly quickly.

On a side note......fun videos watching you shred it up during your trip here and your 3-mile experience is what it's all about brotha.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 12, 16 10:42 am     Reply with quote

While we are on the subject i have the craziest encounter on Maui this June but did not really want to rehash it here.

A guy i used to work for rents the Plantation House on stable road, the huge house below Oli Oli Kai.
So there is a beach there, not a great launch because of the wind shadow, but never the less right in front of the house.

So i wake up one Saturday and there are buoys out front. It was the start of the Maui summer race series. I am kind of stoked. Love watching these guys coming down wind at full speed. Figure i can watch from the deck.

Anyway, i go down and lay my lines and kite out. All of a sudden all these windsurfers come onto the beach, like 15-20 of them. I guess they are using this as a staging area for the event. So this one women pulls her rig up on the beach and puts her board and sail on my lines. So i take them and move them and they end up on top of her sail.

She proceeds to just go off one me, like big time. "what the fuck are you doing? Dont ever touch my gear with your kite. Kites are fucking stupid, you are not allowed to even kite here. " I am like excuse me? I am renting this house and i can kite where ever i want. "she chimes back in about kiting is so fucking stupid, and its dangerous and why are you even kiting, dont you know how dangerous it is. " I then had enough and told her to fuck off. You cant tell me where and where i can not kite.

She took her gear and took off, all the while cursing etc.

I could not believe it. There are about 20 other windsurfers on the beach. No one says anything. So i ask someone what the story is. Guy tells me that her sister died kiting. OK, still does not give her a right to tee off on me for no reason. I end up packing up and walking up wind and launching at Oli Oli Kai. Had a great day.

Story does not end there. I go the the Maui Windsurf Series face book page and leave this message. I am cutting and pasting it here from my FB page.

"just thought i should let you know the behavior of one of your participants. I am staying at the plantation house, on stable rd and kite. I ve been launching on and off the beach right infront. This am saw you guys pulling buoys outside and obviously you were going to have a race. Was pretty psyched to watch this from the beach. (i proceed to outline what happened, dont need to put all of it here, was outlined above) .... (i end with this)
Just a pretty poor representation for your event and your sport. When i saw this was going to be a problem, i rolled my lines up and moved up wind. I understand water saftey, in CO i am an EMT, Swift water rescue certified and volunteer fireman. no need to get in my face and be super rude."

Turns out the person who runs the even, was this women. So we went back and forth, she kind of apologized, but kind of didnt.

I was so blown away.

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostMon Sep 12, 16 10:47 am     Reply with quote

Looks to me like he might have not seen you til the last second. Lost you in his mast sleeve. He is coming down on you then redirects his board up wind. He should have then stayed his coarse. but decided to swell ride to close for sure. You then sent your kite which hit his mast. It all happens so fast. Did you have other issue with that sailor? was anything said?
Last edited by wood on Mon Sep 12, 16 1:09 pm; edited 3 times in total

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 12, 16 10:53 am     Reply with quote

^^^No i just took off after that. I was like WTF, then i looked up wind, The place was packed. I was done.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 12, 16 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

wood wrote:
Looks to me like he might have not seen you to the last second. Lost you in his mast sleeve. He is coming down on you then redirect his board up wind. He should have then stayed his coarse. but decided to swell ride to close for sure. You then sent your kite which hit his mast. I all happens so fast. Did you have other issue with that sailor? was anything said?

Yeah hard to know if that was intentional. He may have seen you fall down in the water and assumed you were changing directions. He should have kept his course, but it may have been an honest mistake. Best to not assume someone is being a jerk unless it's really obvious as this tends to just escalate the situation.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Sep 12, 16 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

dude you cant fall there - you will be road kill! (ldhr is funny!)

Why did you kill that chicks sister? uncool bra

You can always chase that guy around if you are bored or angry - I'm thinking user124 is correct - some of those guys are pretty old and cant see or turn their necks too good

also law of averages - after a few thousand sessions you will run into random crazy...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 12, 16 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

There is one well know douche bag who windsurfs out of cheap who charges whomever. The person in the video was not him. I looked at the video several times. I windsurfed for many years, and he takes a pretty wide arc around you. I am of the mind that it was not intentional. Perhaps too close, but if he really wanted to get in your grill he would have jibed near your head.

Eric

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 13, 16 8:07 am    "IMS" Politicaly Correct? Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
skideeppow wrote:
I dont know why those windsurfers as such douche bags up there in swell city. Seems to a going theme with most windsurfers. So uptight and unfriendly.

It's called Irritable Male Syndrome. It's the male version of menopause.

Dr. ldhr,
We need to redefine the IMS (Irritable Male Syndrome) condition.
Why? One of the aggressive pole-surfers is a woman.
We must be inclusive to all who earn their fifteen minutes of infamy.
Here is your chance to coin the condition...

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 13, 16 10:11 am     Reply with quote

Just for the record.... some of my best friends are windsurfers.
I kite from the Event Site ~60 days per year and every session I head up to Swell City and back.
I've had zero issues with windsurfers.
Sure I've had the stare downs and people yelling at me but it's not any different than when I windsurfed - angst will happen when 2 people try to occupy the same space at the same time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: