Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

NP Edge Wind Top - end wind chill once and for all !!!
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Sep 08, 16 10:56 pm    NP Edge Wind Top - end wind chill once and for all !!! Reply with quote

I get cold easy and have been looking for a good smooth-skin wetsuit solution. Seems like most wetsuits these days don't have a lot of smooth-skin on them - maybe a chest and back panel. I got this NP wind top and REALLY LIKE it. It is super thin and stretchy. And is entirely made of smooth-skin material. I haven't seen anything quite like it.

You can wear it by itself as a rash guard when it's warm, or put it on over a wetsuit. It turns any old wetsuit into a wind-proof wonder. They run kind of small, so go up a size from what you normally wear. I'm 165 lbs & 6' tall - usually I wear a Medium, but for this a Large fits well. It's a little snug over my 4/3 wetsuit, but ok.

http://usa.npsurf.com/products/tops/neoprene-tops.html

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- Bob

PS: I have no affiliation with NP.

NP Edge Wind Top 0.3mm
 NP Edge Wind Top 0.3mm  image.jpeg 

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 09, 16 4:54 am     Reply with quote

Nice. Want!
Is it just me? Or are ya'all noticing that you can get a lot colder foiling vs "normal" TT & Surf?
This will fit the need. Not excited about wearing a dry suit until July 1st.

Promotion in HR also carries a product called the "Exo Skin". I'm curious what the comparison review would be:
http://stores.wetsuit.com/mens-long-sleeve-exo-skin-stretch-top-black-j48/

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Sep 09, 16 7:23 am     Reply with quote

Smooth skin is as warm as advertised. It has no fabric on the surface to stay wet and cool by evaporation. So you can get by with a thinner suit.

Now if they only made it durable.

Sooth skin is only popular for first time buyers (including me many years ago). That is why you see fewer suits offered in full smooth skin and they often are much higher priced. It is a great sales pitch to hear how warm an thin it is, and the store makes more money off of markup (and sale of a new suit next year). But 2 months later, you find yourself putting more and more Aquaseal on it to keep it water tight. At the end of the year, you have put so much Aquaseal on it that it is now mostly made of Aquaseal. At this point, it tears while putting it on so the Aquaseal thing goes right out the window, along with the suit.

I personally wish they would stop putting smooth skin even on the chest of suits that are not fully smooth skin. Thank goodness that is the only place I need to repair constantly on my non smooth skin suits. If I still owned a full smooth skin suit, I would go crazy.

When repairing suits with patches, I never use smooth skin as a patch. It rips instantly. That is how bad the stuff is.

Last edited by Matt V on Wed Sep 14, 16 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 09, 16 8:46 am     Reply with quote

I use a ProMotion ExoSkin instead. All the windproofness and more plus it's way more durable.

http://stores.wetsuit.com/mens-exo/

I like the short sleeve version as it's easier to get on/off and it's just your core that you need to keep the wind off.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Sep 09, 16 9:21 am     Reply with quote

I've owned some Promotion ExoSkin tops. They are much thicker and less flexible than this NP top. ExoSkin works great as a standalone top or underneath a wetsuit as a thermal layer, but they are too thick to wear over a wetsuit as a wind blocker (IMO). ExoSkin is definitely a great product, but different than this NP top. The NP top is much thinner and stretchier than a thing else I've seen.
- Bob

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 10, 16 8:56 am    Re: NP Edge Wind Top - end wind chill once and for all !!! Reply with quote

bobgatpdx wrote:
I get cold easy and have been looking for a good smooth-skin wetsuit solution. Seems like most wetsuits these days don't have a lot of smooth-skin on them - maybe a chest and back panel. I got this NP wind top and REALLY LIKE it. It is super thin and stretchy. And is entirely made of smooth-skin material. I haven't seen anything quite like it.

http://usa.npsurf.com/products/tops/neoprene-tops.html

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- Bob

PS: I have no affiliation with NP.
I tried to order this product but failed. The NP web site is absolutely horrible - no product descriptions - unsecured/unencrypted (meaning all your entered personal info is unprotected) and my attempted order "hung" twice and had to re-enter my data. Finally gave up and moved-on. Pathetic.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Sep 10, 16 9:00 am     Reply with quote

For what it is worth, ProMotion makes 2 thicknesses of ExoTops. The thicker for me works better over the suit as a short sleeve. The Exo light works better under the suit as a long sleeve.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Sep 10, 16 9:49 am     Reply with quote

I haven't tried the newer ProMotion ExoLite - that could be interesting. This NP top is thinner and stretchier than anything I've seen so far. The gamechanger for me is having a wind block layer that is thin & elastic enough to wear over a wetsuit to reduce the amount of exposed nylon II which is what causes the evaporative cooling effect. Many tops, like ExoSkin, are fine on their own, but not many are good for layering over a wetsuit.

The NP online store is petty bad, but I was able to place an order and it did show up a week later. Probably can also get these from any retailer who carries NP wetsuits.
- Bob

Last edited by bobgatpdx on Sat Sep 10, 16 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostSat Sep 10, 16 10:11 am     Reply with quote

another plug for the promotion exo's. Love mine.

I have the thicker long sleeve top. What is amazing about it is that when it is cold, its is warm, but when it is hot out, once the fuzzy inside gets wet, i don't over heat, and it stays just right. once full suit season ends in june, I where the exo every day. it also fits over my wetsuit for cold days.

they are not very stretchy, so compared to a wetsuit top, they are baggie.

I also had mine made custom in two areas, red with black details, and a neoprene band at the bottom so when i tuck it into my nitro shorts, it gives a little padding. Also more durable under the harness. I think they charged me like $10 extra for the custom work.

So if there is something you don't like about promotion's exo's, and you know what you want, just ask them if they can make it for you.

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Sep 11, 16 7:33 am    NP Amor-Skin Reply with quote

Smooth skin or wind skin wetsuits keep you warmer than any other current material. Over the past 15 years as these wetsuits became softer and stretchier, these high quality materials were noticeably less durable than nylon covered wetsuits. NP just came out with Amor-Skin. It is smooth skin material with a super durable exterior. This is next generation material and looks like it is used in a few of their full length suits for 2017 but not offered in just a top, yet. I have been using the new NP Amor-Skin Combat suit with 3 coast trips and a couple cooler days in Hood River over the past 6 weeks. It still looks like new and is by far the warmest suit I have ever owned. Time will tell, but looking really good so far.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 11, 16 7:53 am    Re: NP Amor-Skin Reply with quote

luke wrote:
This is next generation material and looks like it is used in a few of their full length suits for 2017 but not offered in just a top, yet.
FYI - Armor-Skin is the material used in the 2016 NP Edge Wind Top.
http://greenhatkiteboarding.com/2016-np-edge-wind-top-0-3mm

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Sep 11, 16 9:27 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, it's called Armor-Skin. I loaned my spare NP Edge top to a friend today to put over his wetsuit. He was blown away how much warmer he was with the addition of the Armor-Skin.

NP currently offers integrated Armor-Skin only in their high end 5/4/3 Edge Wind wetsuit:
http://usa.npsurf.com/products/wetsuits/mens/edge_wind/fullsuit-5-4-3.html

While an Armor-Skin wetsuit would be nice, this top turns any wetsuit into a great wind wetsuit. I've been using it with my 2mm long-sleeve spring suit and my 4/3 full suit - works great with both.

Check out this video about Armor-Skin from last year's surf expo (go to 1:00) - he shows how stretchy the top is:
https://youtu.be/uOZWXWmuxWQ

- Bob

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 12, 16 7:20 am     Reply with quote

I'd like to pull the trigger. So how is sizing over a medium 5/4 ion wetsuit... 150 pounds skin & bones kiter?

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Sep 12, 16 8:55 am     Reply with quote

Medium would be OK for you.
I got a Medium which was a little small for me (165 lbs & 6'0" tall), so then I got a Large which is much better for me. I can wear the Medium as a standalone rash guard, but it's a little tight over a wetsuit.
- Bob

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 16, 16 11:45 am    suits with Amor-Skin Reply with quote

Looks like NP will have an additional Armor-Skin top for 2017 besides the high end suits and the sweet Edge Wind top that Bob clued us in to. New for this year: Fireline Armor-Skin Kite Jacket. A looser fit than the Edge Wind and in the shape of a zippered, hooded sweatshirt. With hole for harness hook. This is nothing new except for the amazing Armor material. Tighter fitting and looser fitting options.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostSat Sep 17, 16 8:25 pm     Reply with quote

is this for over or under wetsuits? the reviews and retailers say conflicting things. Seems like for windproofing it would need to be the top layer?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 18, 16 5:26 am     Reply with quote

pauls wrote:
is this for over or under wetsuits? the reviews and retailers say conflicting things. Seems like for windproofing it would need to be the top layer?

Over. What we're trying to solve here is the "evaporative" cooling you'll get standing around in the wind post session. Many times it's just great with a simple wetsuit out on the water, but once you come in for 20 minutes to switch kites or bs with friends... you end up cold. In the past I've even thrown an old garage sale windbreaker over a cheap wetsuit with good results. Solving this can push your summer wetsuit all through November.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: