Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

WAVE KITES
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostThu Sep 08, 16 7:02 am    WAVE KITES Reply with quote

so,
Most kites talk about drifting for their style of wave sailing,
Which I don't prefer to do,
I don't try too many other kites , but now Ocean Rodeo if chatting up the Roam wave kite which they claim to drift just great for drifting waves sailing!
And I am going to want some new kites soon.
I really prefer a kites that has a far amount of back tension so I can turn it when going down the line, and the Razor has been doing it for a long time,(and really hate the front line ride).
Has anyone tried the ROAM?
also does the SS wave kite ride on the front lines (mostly)?

thx for the input

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 08, 16 8:13 am     Reply with quote

I recommend you get yourself on some Naish Pivots my friend. The pivot is one of the best wave kites in the game right now. It maintains consistent power down the line and the bar pressure works like a throttle, not an on/off switch. The pivot has amazing drift and I am amazed whn I am hauling ass down a face that I don't beat the kite. But sure enough it stays right with and I never lose control of it. The kite turns on a dime with no delay in power as it moves through the window.

Naish is also coming out with a wave specific kite called the Slash that will be out in a week or so. I haven't ridden that one but I'll let you know how it performs when I do.

Cody

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostThu Sep 08, 16 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Love my Slingshot Wave SST's! Great for wave, foil, and hooked in TT.

Wave SST bridle - compact with small bungie works well. Amazing how quickly it can turn, even with slack lines. Drifts very well!!

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2017-Wave-SST#.V9GYipgrKUk

Patrick Rebstock summarizes details of Wave SST here, along with Slingshot surfboards.

https://vimeo.com/181015631

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 08, 16 9:07 am     Reply with quote

I love drifting wave kites down-the-line on downwinders but dislike them point sailing as I've found them bad at upwind. Anyone have a good recommendation for a drifting 12m that can still make it back up without too much pain?

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 08, 16 9:14 am     Reply with quote

The Pivot. I can make it up to the hatch in 5 tacks from the event site. The 12 is awesome and actually this year I went to an 11. The new quad-tek construction makes the kite tighter and more responsive so I was able to size down in all my kites and get the same range.

Not trying to make the Pivot sound like the best thing out there for all around performance but it is.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostThu Sep 08, 16 9:27 am     Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
I love drifting wave kites down-the-line on downwinders but dislike them point sailing as I've found them bad at upwind. Anyone have a good recommendation for a drifting 12m that can still make it back up without too much pain?

I have no issue getting upwind on Slingshot Wave SST's, but I get your point in general for kites that drift well, particularly with larger kite sizes.

For example, a 12M Slingshot Rally is more powerful upwind than a 12M Slingshot Wave SST. Rally drifts fairly well, but not as good as Wave SST.

Not sure there are any kites that really, truly excel above all the others in every single use case. Like most gear, make choices based on your riding preferences and riding conditions.

My kite quiver right now is 6/8/10M Wave SST and 12M Rally.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostThu Sep 08, 16 10:10 am     Reply with quote

well I'm not a 12 kinda guy , if I was I be looking for the drifting style maybe

my biggest kite is 10, which is ok ,but 7 and below is my style,
so smaller kites is preferred ,
I have tried the 7 Pivot and it the does not turn when front lines are loose so well.
I here the bigger sizes of the Pivots are ok.(I hear) from owners,

I'm looking for the small kites with some steering lines tension,

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Sep 08, 16 10:51 am     Reply with quote

Funny how I would describe my SST Wave kite style similar to how Cody describes his Naish Pivots and my Cabrinha amigos swear by their Drifters. Another friend demo'd a Core (Section I think???) and came back from his session feeling like he has just seen God.

My impression of Slingshot SST 6/8/10 is they respond tight and smooth (bungee assist) to any slight one-handed input during drift so front line/back lines are well balanced. I instantly noticed longer free rides from higher average board speed as the power delivery is always "on", which seems to be a common theme with wave specific kites. Solid range too so I kind of forget about the kite because it's always "ready".

Hard to describe but quite different from the RPM's and Rally's I came from and with so many good wave kites on the market demo the Ocean Rodeo if you can as your tenured skills will tell all quickly. Very Happy

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Sep 08, 16 11:17 am     Reply with quote

John, I don't think enjoying drift is only for those that only like to park the kite while surfing the wave. I like to power wave kite like you (i.e. turning the kite at the wave and back to the beach just ahead of your top turn.) What has amazed me about my Ozone Reo's drift is when I go for an irresistible section, figuring my kite should be falling out of the sky when I come out of it, it's still sitting up there in the back of the window, ready to keep partying. There's no sacrifice of handling. If you're ever up North we'll setup a demo for you. I haven't tested any other dedicated wave kites, I'm sure there's some other good ones out there. Thumb's Up

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Sep 08, 16 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Plus for a wave kite the Reo is pretty good upwind as you asked about

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 09, 16 1:49 am     Reply with quote

I second the Slingshot wave kite, great kite !!!

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 09, 16 6:13 am    Wave SST Reply with quote

I will have a quiver of Wave SST kites in Hood River this weekend . PM me if you would like to try them out. I like the Wave SST for riding surfboard and for foiling.

Have a great day !

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Sep 09, 16 7:11 am     Reply with quote

1. demo
2. pick a kite
3. drop a bunch of money to get all the same kite across your quiver
4. learn to ride them (easier when they are all the same)

Buy just one to fit a hole in your quiver - you will struggle to change your timing/tempo when you use a different model kite in another size.

I cannot recommend this for you as I have no idea how you ride - but give the LF WOW's a shot. That is what I would replace my kites with right now if I could buy a full quiver. Switch would be a close second.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostFri Sep 09, 16 10:44 am    wave kites Reply with quote

Seems to me that there are a half dozen or so main refinements in kites, and targeting any one attribute means a tradeoff for the others. If you decide what your main advantages you want, then it will come at the cost of some disadvantages in other areas.

Wave kites should drift great, virtually never back stall, have low bar pressure, and be very easy to fly. Which also makes them great beginner kites. But it probably won't jump as well as others or go as sharply upwind. It doesn't mean you can't jump or go upwind, just not its specialty....and when you get a quiver of wave kites, you'll get used to its upwind and jumping capabilities just fine.

Call me cynical, but I have a hard time with the descriptions of a specialty kite that does all the other specializations as well as the other specialized kites: "this wave kite has best drift on market but also jumps like a freestyle kite and can compete in upwind performance with racing foils!". To me, that sounds either like marketing hype or someone who rides them, is used to them, and loves them (and so you should, love your quiver, and it will give back the love in multiples Laughing )

I have a buddy who has been riding an OR Roam prototype for a while, and he rocks it in the the surf. But he'd rock any kite he rides, and does so with both Flite and Prodigy...both of which fly different. Flite is high aspect, Prodigy in between. A difference is that he loops the heck out of his Flite when riding down the line but probably doesn't need to as much with the Roam's drift. Seems like he boosts strapless airs quite nicely on all 3.

I'd say a "freeride" kite aims at middle of the road hybrid, takes the combination of attributes that makes it pretty good at everything, though not particularly excellent at anything (compared to the best in each category). Kind of like a station wagon...it isn't a minivan or a truck or a sports car....either takes the best of each of these categories for the best combination, or it does poorly in each category, depending on if your cup is half full or half empty.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 09, 16 10:54 am    Ozone Reo Reply with quote

I love the Ozone Reo. Its just great.

windtzu1

Since 02 Aug 2012
25 Posts

PostFri Sep 09, 16 11:16 am    Airush Waves go upwind quite well... Reply with quote

Someone mentioned wave kites are poor performers upwind. I've heard this is the case with some brands, models, but this is not the case with my Airush Waves. To the contrary, not only do they drift well and and are fast as all hell, they go upwind like crazy.

To that end there's lots of great kites out there and just try as many as you can.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 09, 16 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

check out the finals of the pro contest just finished in Mauritius at One Eye.
Both finalists were on North Neos which I fly and love. BTW they rip upwind better than any kite I've ever ridden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QL_sIuaGxo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: