Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

core impressions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 30, 16 11:34 am    core impressions Reply with quote

Just wondering if the experts could weigh in on their impressions of core kites, specifically the xr4. I haven't really seen many around. I have a chance to get one half off and I just wanted to know impression on how they fly and boosting ability. How do they compare to the pivot or the rpm. I mostly ride the rally and rpm. Been waiting for a solid day to make the trip down to hood to see if I could demo one but the wind, at least the forcast has not been "july like" the last few days. I am looking for a greating boosting kite. Stick with the rpm, xr4, or something different. Thanks for the advice

windboldski

Since 28 May 2015
3 Posts
Everett Washington
Kook

PostWed Aug 31, 16 8:43 am    Core Impressions Reply with quote

I have been riding Core kites for the last two years. Prior to that Slingshots that last iteration being the RPM's. I love the Core kites. Their construction is the industry standard. These kites are tough and extremely well built, the attention to detail is exactly what you would expect from a German company. While the build is awesome, both bar and kite, the performance of the kites is the big reason I fly Core. These kites just flat out rip. I own XR4's and the wave kite the Section.

The XR's are the biggest boosting kites I have ever been on, with tons of glide.You have to be very careful of how much room you have down wind on the bigger jumps. It is easy to go a lot farther than you think you will...watch out for other kiters, the beach boats, etcetera. The lift and apparent wind these kites produce is truly amazing. In light winds my friends are on 14 and 15's and I am on a 12 and loving life. But my favorite size is the 9m. It jumps to the moon in 25knots!

I use the Sections for for waves and foiling. As much as I love the XR's my favorite kites are the Sections. They are supper quick, very easy to fly and drift off the wind like a dream. The 9 and the 6 literally will loop 180 degrees on their axis and shoot off in the other direction...it is so cool! Riding these kites in Gorge swell, Puget Sound swell, Coastal waves and foiling I have never been happier.

If you want to try they these kites out PM me and I will try and sync up with you for a demo, I am happy to share the Core stoke. I live in Everett Washington.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostWed Aug 31, 16 9:02 am     Reply with quote

The Core van was in Hood River last week and may still be around for you to demo some kites. Call Five41Three99Five128.

I have XR4's 7/9/12M and a Section 5M and am looking to replace my 7M with a Section as the feedback I have received is that they are better for foiling in gusty conditions... Better able to absorb the gusts. Different use case than yours and why I chose the XR4's for me was they sit well forward in the wind window for upwind foiling. IMO, Cores are one of the finest built kites you will find.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 31, 16 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

Sections for swell riding, waves and foiling are insane. Super stable, fast, great drift and off the hook relaunch. I'd like to know how the XR4 compares to the Rebel.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 13, 16 8:21 am     Reply with quote

Anyone know why the hose for the center strut is so long and kinks upon inflation and deflation? Seems like it needs to be shorter but I am no German engineer.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 13, 16 10:16 am     Reply with quote

SpaceRacer wrote:
Sections for swell riding, waves and foiling are insane. Super stable, fast, great drift and off the hook relaunch. I'd like to know how the XR4 compares to the Rebel.

Core XR4 is like a sports car - fast, nimble, and you can steer with one finger. The bar and pull are light.
Compared to the XR4, the Rebel feels like a large heavy luxury sedan.

Last edited by ldhr on Thu Sep 22, 16 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

surfncap

Since 06 Mar 2007
77 Posts
NE

PostMon Sep 19, 16 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

Cores r sweet like Bandits. Bar is clean & light

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 20, 16 5:23 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

Core XR4 is like a sports car - fast, nimble, and you can steer with one finger. The bar and pull are incredibly light. It's a unique feeling and great for zipping around on the water.

So True!! This summer I was focused on finding the best kite for my Foil progression. For many days I sat on the fence with the Core vs Cloud decision. The Core just felt so sweet with it's total effortless control. Super light bar pressure, instant response, very smart bar technology. No surprise yanks, yet still an aggressive kite when called upon.

Clouds won over by a nose... but that's another story.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostWed Sep 21, 16 7:07 pm    . Reply with quote

personally i loved the XR4 TI. it was way ahead of it's time.

xr4ti.jpg 

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 21, 16 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

I demo'd a Core XR4 and loved it.

I was looking for a kite in the larger range. Something I can boost big floaty jumps on.

Currently I use RPMs for my small kites and Rallys for my large kites.

I ended up buying another Rally simply because I got a great deal. But, the Core XR4 was a very good kite. If the price had been equal I probably would have purchased a XR4 ... but then again I think the Rally is a very good kite as well. Would have been a tough choice if the price had been equal.

I felt the Rally had a little more boost, but the XR4 was a little quicker. I also liked the construction of the XR4 (looked like it would wear longer). There are settings for both kites so the differences in the kites may just have been the settings I was using.

Item of note. I felt a 12 Rally was about equal in power to a 13.5 XR4. I ended up purchasing a 12 Rally.

I'm not a fan of the Core bars however... Different subject I know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: