Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Windsurf foil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lawnmower

Since 14 Dec 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 30, 16 9:07 am    Windsurf foil Reply with quote

I've heard rumors that Slingshot is coming out with a windsurf foil. Tried their web site, no info. Wrong forum, maybe, but foilers abound.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 01, 16 6:10 am     Reply with quote

you should go to windance and talk with Dave the shop owner. he has a pretty good setup for foiling on a sailboard.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 01, 16 6:46 am     Reply with quote

Pepi was telling me a few weeks ago that it is actually much easier than it looks? Maybe I'll pretend it's 1990 and get a big full van again.

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 01, 16 6:53 am    windsurf foil Reply with quote

rumor is the windsurfing at the Tokyo Olympics will be on foils. So, lots of production foils will hit the market soon. It's about time as custom windsurf foils have been around for over 20 years. Stoked to see Tony riding and developing the foils for all kinds of Slingshot boards. Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gVEoiiVx6Y

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 01, 16 8:01 am     Reply with quote

[url]http://www.lpfoils.com/#!product-page/c1n69/9c2d9441-a4e5-a12f-498f-e1ca5508f78e[/url]

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Sep 01, 16 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

Just before heading back up to work three weeks ago I saw some pretty amazing foils out at Rufus. Kite and Windsurfing. The kite foiling riders were pretty friggn good and the designer guy on the windsurf foil just had that smirk of like - yup this is awesome... I know it.

Of course they are all pros - cameras, video and drones capturing it all.

www.freeridekiting.com

Since 22 May 2008
145 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 02, 16 8:28 am     Reply with quote

The rumors are true. Slingshot windsurfing foil is on the way. Same platform as the Hover Glide kite foil. Nothing available online yet, but will be in time for next season for sure.

Alz

Since 04 Aug 2015
33 Posts

PostFri Sep 02, 16 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Looks like Slingshot added a foil section to their website:

http://www.slingshotsports.com/Foil

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Sep 02, 16 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

Is it just me, or does all that hardware for a windsurf foil look like just too much stuff to deal with? Kite foil is bad enough!

That said, windsurf foil does make sense as a race class - that kind of gear never had had much in common with your average freeride or bump/jump setup.
- Bob

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 02, 16 7:53 pm     Reply with quote

I am seriously thinking of attaching my kite foil to a big old slalom board, attaching it a ways up in front of the finbox. This will get me out on lightwind days when the tide is too high to leave any room to safely launch a kite at my local spot. Then again if Slingshot releases a hover glide windsurf foil I would just as soon buy one given the cost of current windfoilers on the market.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Sep 02, 16 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

Windsurfing must be cool again if slingshot is getting into the market.

http://www.iwasphotographed.com/Wind/Event-site-White-Salmon-Bridge-/Event-Site-20160828-Sunday-120/i-X9xmrpX/A

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 03, 16 9:25 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Pepi was telling me a few weeks ago that it is actually much easier than it looks? Maybe I'll pretend it's 1990 and get a big full van again.

Sort of accurate.
For me it has been really challenging, as I have been trying to use a kite foil for windsurfing, but those do not work well, as they are designed to be ridden at an angle and do not have a lot of stability with the addition of mast base pressures and lateral balance.

Windsurf friends of mine at shops over on the East Coast who have been bringing in windsurf foils have commented that the windsurf foils seem to be a bit easier to learn on versus the kiters learning to foil. I think the windsurf foils are a lot wider, longer and way more tame in riding characteristics.

Althought, I did just test out the new Airush Core kite foilboard set up and was quite surprised with just how incredibly easy it was to ride the board (I even had the straps all in the wrong locations, but was able to ride without any wipeouts or issues). Yes, I know I am an experienced foiler, but it was definitely the smoothest ride with the least amount of balance and trim effort that I have ever experienced of any foils I have ridden.
Goes to show time and effort in R&D results in big improvements.

Locally, Tony Logosz has been logging more time than anyone on a windsurf foil and he seems to be doing pretty good at it.

Bic Windsurfing and F-One both have windsurf and SUP foils coming out this winter.
Very excited to check these out as soon as we can get demos in to the shop.

www.Purestokesports.com

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 03, 16 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

Anyone going to the Surf Expo? I would love to know what Slingshot, Zeeko and Bic will have on offer for windfoils.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: