Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

2016 Mako question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Bokeh

Since 07 Feb 2008
104 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Stoked

PostMon Aug 29, 16 3:47 pm    2016 Mako question Reply with quote

I know the drill - try before you buy. Still I'm curious in a feedback on the behavior or riding difference between Mako 135 cm and 140. Larger sizes are spaced 10 or even 15 cm apart which makes me wonder about mere 5 cm on these two. Anyone tried both and cares to share?
I only rode friend's 150 and loved it.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 29, 16 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

I have the Mako 150 and 165. I weigh 165lbs and 6'0" tall.
150 is great all around Gorge board for me, don't see a need for anything smaller.
165 is great for light wind and for learners.
The two ride really similar.
- Bob

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 30, 16 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Although there is only 5 cm difference in length the 135 is also narrower by maybe 2.5 cm so there is abigger difference than you might first think. They both ride a bit smaller than the numbers say so the 140 is sort of the all around board and better for swell. The 135 is better for spiny, twisty tricks but takes more power to plane up and get through the lulls. You would think it would hold better at the top end when overpowered but they both are really good at that so almost no difference there. I am 165-170 and like to ride powered and the 135 still felt a bit small. The 140 is way more fun to me and I also put a slightl bigger fin on just one end to help in the swell riding. Tried the three fin setup on one end but was too stiff so preferred the single larger fin. Hope this helps some.

Bokeh

Since 07 Feb 2008
104 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Stoked

PostWed Aug 31, 16 6:55 am     Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Seems like either 135 or 140 would work for me (I'm a light person), I have no issue riding my 126 misfit so 135 may be just what the doctors ordered!

Now I just need to come across a good deal on these!

Chipotle

Since 26 Mar 2011
70 Posts

PostWed Aug 31, 16 7:15 am    very different Reply with quote

knotwindy makes a very good point. My wife loved my Mako 140. She's only 5'4" and 110 pounds, and it didn't make sense to get two of the same boards, so I got her the 135. She says it's totally different, and I think a lot of it has to do with the width. With the rounded tips, it has much less area for a given width/length dimension than a more traditional squared off twintip. Therefore, it does need more power to plane and ride. And again due to the rounded tips, you have much less effective edge length than a squared off twintip. I think the 135 would be too small for anyone bigger than my wife, but this is also a shameless promotion for my Mako 140 for sale in the classifieds:) Seriously though, if you do want a good deal on the 140 send me a PM.

Bokeh

Since 07 Feb 2008
104 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Stoked

PostWed Aug 31, 16 9:34 am     Reply with quote

Nicely played, Sir! Laughing
I'm interested, but only if we're taking 2016 model.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: