Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Maui over winter break

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
165 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSun Aug 28, 16 5:59 am    Maui over winter break Reply with quote

My family is thinking about a trip to Maui this coming winter. I know kite beach is popular during the season, but do most folks kite there in the winter? Are there good kite spots on southern or western areas of Maui during the winter? We will likely stay in a big hotel in one of these areas. Recommendations?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 28, 16 6:06 am     Reply with quote

Here is your Trip Planning Forecast showing monthly wind averages from Maui Weather Today. We used to watch Glenn religiously every morning.... you will too once you arrive.
http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/

daveS

Since 23 Jul 2007
101 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 28, 16 8:14 pm     Reply with quote

Notice that trades blow less than 50% of the days around winter break. It is not unusual to get only one or two kiting days during a 1 week stay that time of year. Still lots of fun and water time but just shouldn't count on wind. Big hotels have benefits of nice grounds, pools etc. but for my money i like a condo. Kihei has lots of options and also the most sun and it is only 20 minutes to the North shore kiting spots.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostMon Aug 29, 16 5:18 am     Reply with quote

Affirmative on condo in Kihei!!! Visit the hotels, eat at the restaurants, buy water park pass for kids if you want, stay in condo...

I always laugh with the winter wind queries....I lived on Maui for a dozen years and usually go every other winter now to visit....Yes there is less wind during the winter than summer, Yes it has not been very windy the last several winters. That being said, it could blow every day in January or February, or not. We used to think the only difference with winter was that it was wave season...

The launching sites are Very limited; although there are spots on the South and West coasts, more than likely your kiting will be on the North shore at kite beach. Be prepared, use sunscreen, have fun!!! And Glenn James is great with his "flying Aloha Shaka"...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: